My First PC Build

Hi folks,

I’m building a PC for the first time and even though I mostly know what I’m doing I figured I should check with smarter people to see if anyone has any tips and advice just in case there are any glaring issues or compatibility problems I’m missing.

I’m trying to keep the price relatively low (~$1000 CAD) and here is what I have so far:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HR3NM8

Case - Cooler Master N200
MBoard - Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H (MicroATX)
CPU - Intel i5 7500
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GBx1 2400Mhz
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
PSU - EVGA 400W
(Eventually I will also add another 8GB of memory and a HDD as well.)

Let me know what you think!

Peace and Blessings,
Zach

This is a great build, but considering that you are planning to have 16GB of RAM, I’m guessing you want to play graphically-intensive games. As such, I would honestly go for a 1070. 1060 3GB will be stretched thin today, let alone in 6 months, especially at 3GB. A 1070 8GB will do you very, very well for years. I know the price difference is $150ish USD, but with a 1060 3GB you are guaranteeing that you will need to spend a couple hundred bucks to replace it relatively soon.

If, however, playing modern games well is not a real concern, again, this is a great build. Good luck!

It looks like that motherboard only has one connector for a case fan. You’ll need to use a fan splitter like this to connect both fans.

I’d also recommend getting a large HDD (At least 1GB). SSDs are awesome for loading games quickly but you’ll be surprised just how fast you can burn through 250GB. Another backup drive will mean you don’t have to uninstall and redownload things to make room.

I would maybe just opt for the 6GB model of the 1060? Really solid build but that extra 3GB of VRAM goes a long way towards future proofing the system. The 1070 is a bit excessive for 1080p (I use a 1070 to play in 1440p and it offers frame rates in the 70’s for most new titles). Also It doesn’t hurt to go for a better PSU if you can afford it, the price for the next one up is likely pretty low. Good luck with the build!

If you’re not desperate, I’d hold off for a couple of months and check out what the 8000 series Intels look like.

Intel just doubled the core counts for their mobile parts and their official box art for the upcoming desktop CPUs makes it clear they are offering 50% more cores for this coming generation. The expectation is that this isn’t coming at the cost of performance per core or at a significantly higher price (the laptop CPUs actually got slightly cheaper for the 8th gen U series) so by waiting a few months you could see yourself buying something for about the same price but with the ability to do 50% more work for threaded workloads and no cost if the task can’t be parallelised.

Is an i5 really still acceptable for the foreseeable future? I put an i7 4770k in my first build years ago because I assumed the i5 would be obsolete soon.

The difference between the i5 and i7 is a thing called Hyperthreading, which in layman’s terms means the processor is better at multitasking with intensive processes. For games this gives zero benefit, although it’s probably useful if you’re streaming.

For desktops then an i5 is an i7 without HyperThreading (scheduling two jobs on the same core so that they spend less time waiting for scarce resources [the actual execution units inside the core that process operations, not all of which can do all types of ops] but without the OS needing to note down exactly where a thread got to, take it off the core, then load a new thread onto it).

There are certainly wins from HT but not all things benefit from it; if they already utilise the cores well then some things see no benefit at all. You also (for paying the extra money) get silicon binned for potentially better performance at the same power (possibly means you can overclock a bit more, definitely means higher stock speeds) and all the cache enabled. It’s not nothing but the i5 isn’t becoming outdated. Of course, on the AMD side then they released Ryzen with HT enabled on both the 5 and 7 series, differentiating with different enabled core counts (only the 3s miss out).

Ah, makes sense. I knew that when I was researching my PC Build (I probably needed it for video editing, music production, streaming, etc.) but I’d since forgot.

Thanks so much, everyone!

So far I’m thinking of making the following amendments:

GPU - Zotac GeForce 1060 6GB
PSU - EVGA 500W
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Looks good! The 6GB graphics card is definitely going to make a difference.

Any reason you’re going with a larger SSD instead of a second hard drive? I’d imagine the cost per GB is lower overall with a physical drive and the smaller SSD.

e: My mistake, you already addressed that!

FWIW he said in the OP he plans on getting an additional HDD already, just further down the line.

Watching this thread because I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing for a while, and can’t decide if I’m really going to do it or not.

Experienced builders, can you give some additional advice on how to go about actually doing this? Like, what else should a total newbie buy in addition to the primary parts? (I’m thinking of static straps, tools, etc) And what other tips would you offer to a first-time builder? (Or in my case a first-time build since, say, 2002.)

Be sure to find a monitor that will actually take advantage of whatever you decide to build. Whether you’re thinking of making upgrades to an existing PC or building a whole new one this is something a lot of people forget to consider while making part lists/budgeting.

Anything above 16GB of RAM is pretty excessive if you just plan on gaming, even 16GB is more than you need. Bulk up on storage so you never have to worry about it again. A 2tb HDD will give you peace of mind and last ages. It’s pretty easy to find parts with matching colors if you’re into your PC looking cool (if you’re gonna pay a bunch you might as well have it be nice to look at!) There’s a lot of accessories/bracelets for grounding, keeping you from transferring static electricity to your parts and potentially damaging them, but they’re not necessary honestly. Just don’t build on carpet and try to ground yourself on other metal objects during the building process.

In terms of additional tools and stuff you don’t need too much. A screwdriver for case screws, and a toothpick helps if you accidentally bend any pins out of place. The CPU cooler I have came with a tube of decent thermal paste but it’s nice to have some extra handy. I’m sure other people with more experience can chime in here with plenty of stuff too. Enjoy building, hope it comes together great for you if/when you decide to pull the trigger and start!