My new gaming laptop arrives tomorrow. Tell me what games to buy

I’ve got a PS4 and a Switch, so to make things interesting nothing available on those platforms please.

I like pretty much everything except horror and will happily buy any games from any store or service.

If you’d like to tailor to my specific preferences some of my favourite games are: Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Final Fantasy XII, Portal, AC: Brotherhood, Front Mission 3, Shadow Complex, Burnout Paradise and Danganronpa.

There are a few pretty good JRPGs on PC, if you like Final Fantasy in general. The Trails Series, I haven’t played much of but I hear is extremely good.

Also cRPGs in general, are a well that is deep and ancient. If you’re interested in those I’d recommend starting with something modern like Pillars of Eternity then seeing if you could stand some of the older ones. The Shadowrun games are also very good.

Be like me and buy a game twice :smiley:

Divinity: Original Sin would be the cRPG I recommend from the new lot of cRPGs.

If you like Portal, The Talos Principle is a fantastic puzzle game with a great story and some awesome, mind-bending puzzles.

If you want a unique experience that you can’t really get on consoles, PlayerUnknown’s BattleGrounds is probably a good choice.

Vanquish just came out on PC, it’s cheap and it’s awesome.

Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are two great Diablo-esque loot RPGs. If you love D3 you will probably love those two.

You can run Undertale on a toaster but it’s still very much worth playing.

If you’re into sim/management type games, I’d highly recommend either Cities: Skylines or Planet Coaster. Not an experience you can really get on any console platforms (I know Cities: Skylines is on Xbox One, but that’s not a great way to play that game).

Which laptop did you get? :grinning:

• Because you liked Witcher 3, I recommend maybe looking into the older Bioware stuff like Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire. Witcher 3 is pretty much the pinnacle of that style of game, so you’re kinda good.
  • Because you liked Diablo 3, I recommend Torchlight 2, as it has all the good loot that you desire. Alternatively check out Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, or Path of Exile to get your loot based isometric rpg action on.
  • Because you liked Final Fantasy XII, I’d recommend Final Fantasy XIV, as XII was basically an offline MMO anyway.
  • Because you liked Portal, I’d recommend Antichamber, which is a first person puzzle game, but one that fucks with your sense of euclidean geometry.
  • Because you liked AC:Brotherhood, I’d recommend, well, probably the later good AC games like Black Flag or Syndicate. Most of these types of games are kinda on PS4 already, so you won’t find much new on the PC.
  • Because you liked Front Mission 3, I’d recommend waiting for Battletech by Harebrained Studios, which is the strategy RPG with mechs you’re looking for.
  • Because you liked Shadow Complex, I’d recommend, well, there are a ton of Metroidvania’s out there, but none that play exactly like how Shadow Complex approached the genre. I think the closest you’d get would be Strider or Headlander (both also on PS4)
  • Because you liked Danganronpa, I’d recommend you get the Zero Escape games, with The Nonary Games (a collection of the first two games in the trilogy that’s also on PS4) and Zero Time Dilemma both are available on PC.
  • Because you liked Burnout Paradise, I’d recommend crying yourself to sleep every night because no game exists that lovingly marries arcade racing and open world design.

Forza Horizon 3 is the best racing game to come out in years, and the performance boost it gets on PC makes for a really great experience.

I got the Dell Inspiron 15 gaming edition. Only the base model but it has a GTX1050 so should run most things.

Second the Trails series. Especially Trails of Cold Steel. I think it has a very likable cast of characters.

Since you’re a Front Mission 3 fan, might be a good opportunity to check out some of the classic grid based strategy games. SSI games are often on sale on GOG. Or maybe Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

OneShot is a wonderful, heartfelt game that would never work on consoles (for reasons that get into spoiler territory).

It’s not a graphical powerhouse, but still worth checking out if you’re into games that make you develop a deep empathy for their characters and are very meta.

I’m just gonna start naming indie and retro stuff I really like I feel like most people should play at some point, both relatively normal and super weird. Also some German point and clicks.

Bleed 2
Grand Pigeon’s Duty
NOT A HERO
One Finger Death Punch
Little Red Lie
Always Sometimes Monsters
The Beginner’s Guide
The Stanley Parable
Masochisia
The Magic Circle
Stories Untold
Westerado: Double Barreled
Verdict Guilty
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!
Little Inferno
Pony Island
Loren the Amazon Princess
The Silver Case
The 25th Ward: The Silver Case
Owlboy
Rabi-Ribi
Rogue Legacy
Ben There, Dan That! + Time Gentlemen, Please!
Every Blackwell game
The Dark Eye: Memoria
The Deponia series (mileage may vary greatly, but the last game, Doomsday, is kind of incredible)
Police Quest collection (just don’t play 4 ever)
A Golden Wake
Gemini Rue
Unavowed
Shardlight
The Shivah
Technobabylon
Resonance (the Wadjet Eye game)
Hector: Badge of Carnage
The Night of the Rabbit
A New Beginning
Post Mortem + Still Life 1 & 2
Primordia
Puzzle Agent 1 & 2
Randal’s Monday
Richard & Alice
The Whispered World
Syberia 1 & 2 (3 is a mess but I still think the story is worth it)
LYNE
Alpha Protocol
Costume Quest 1 & 2
Dex
Star Wars: KOTOR 2
Pillars of Eternity
PLUTONIUM
Saturday Morning RPG
Shadowrun: Dragonfall & Hong Kong
Jamestown
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club & I! My! Girls!
Cherry Tree High Girls’ Fight
Game Dev Tycoon
Pizza Express
Punch Club
Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale
The Westport Independent
This Is The Police
Chroma Squad
Gunpoint
Into The Breach
Level 22
Party Hard
Analogue: A Hate Story & Hate+
Ladykiller in a Bind
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Tokyo Dark
BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope for the Young Century
Detention
Lamplight City (should be out tomorrow, played it for review, is good)
ANIME: THE VISUAL NOVEL
kyofu no sekai -WORLD OF HORROR- (still in development but worth a look now for the AMAZING art)
ANATOMY

There is only one PC game and it is Crusader Kings 2/EU4. You play it forever and you play it exclusively. You begin to wonder why Steam even pretends to offer other games.

Lots of great suggestions here already. I’ll say consider how you’ll be playing. Plug in mouse or trackpad? Plug in controller? Laptop screen or second screen?

These options will be a big part of what plays well. I’ll recommend Civilisation V or VI, they play really well with a keyboard alone.

Have fun :slight_smile: