My Transition to Linux

I decided to do something crazy at the beginning of the year: I switched my gaming PC to Linux (specifically Ubuntu). I had fiddle some with it the year prior but hadn’t taken the full plunge. For a while it was Ubuntu only but I did set up a dual boot around May. I’ve launched Windows 10 maybe twice since I set up the dual boot as I honestly haven’t missed it.

The other bit you need to know is that I do have a PS4 that I game on regularly, so I shifted a lot of my AAA gaming to the PS4. Also, I rarely ever play multiplayer games and if I do, it’s almost always on the PS4.

So far, I’m loving it. Yes, you have to know what your doing (or how to look up what to do) in order to set up and use Linux, but honestly once it’s set up, the whole thing runs like butter and I’ve had a game crash on me maybe twice since the beginning of the year. Honestly. It runs so much more efficiently and smoothly than Windows and I’ve not missed a single feature or program from Windows.

But what about the games? I’ve charted out all the games I want to play from 2017 so far and the only one I found I can’t play between PS4 and Linux is The Signal from Tolva, which a dev tweeted me is in the works for a Linux release. Tacoma launched day one for Linux, as did Pyre. Sunless Skies will launch day one for Linux. I just wrapped up playing Hollow Knight on my PC. It’s becoming more and more common for indie titles to release on Linux.

Granted, with AAA titles, I’m playing elusively on PS4, although I will say I did go back and play some Shadow of Mordor as it does run on Linux and it ran quite well. I played catchup the first few months of the year with MGSV, Mad Max, and The Witcher 3 and honestly I didn’t feel any of them would have been better experiences on the PC. Maybe they would have looked nicer, but I would have played them with a controller on my PC and I honestly am at the point where I care so very little about the technical feats of AAA graphics. And when it came to 2017 releases, Resident Evil 7 and Nier: Automata both looked and played fine on the PS4.

Indie games are a whole other ballgame. I found I had a huge backlog of titles in my Steam library that ran on Linux. I caught up with titles like Human Resource Machine, No Time to Explain Remastered, Undertale, Shank, and Massive Chalice. I’ve still got a good 20+ games in my backlog that run on Linux so I’ll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Honestly, the only thing I feel like I’ve missed out on is PLAYERUNKNOWN’S: Battlegrounds. However, there’s always a chance that after launch it’ll come out on Linux and since it’s not a complete game yet, I don’t mind waiting and seeing. I do have that Windows 10 boot if I find I absolutely have to play it.

I’m not sure I’d recommend the switch to everyone. I got fed up with all of Microsoft’s intrusive updates and “features” and even after turning all of them off I ran into lots of problems. I also don’t play competitive shooters on PC much anymore. Ubuntu has just run a lot smoother for me and I think if you have a PC and a console and mostly play singleplayer games, it’s worth considering because there’s plenty to play and plenty of games releasing on Linux on the horizon.

All of the computers I’ve ever owned have always been windows laptops my dad installs Norton antivirus on and then wonders why his computer is so slow, thus buying a new one and relinquishing the old laptop to me. So now I have an old vista laptop running ubuntu that’s exclusively used as a word processor while at school, and one running Mint that I like to play visual novels and emulators on. I even got it to eek out Pillars of Eternity at 20 fps.

I made the switch myself a few months back and 80% of the games I had in my Steam library ran fine.

I recently switched back to Windows 10 due to wanting to get back into using Scrivener (there is a Linux version but I’m not sure how up to date with or how well it syncs with the iOs version).

I do miss Linux though and I’d encourage most people to give it a try.

I’ve only dabbled with Ubuntu and #!++ and had no idea that you could run games on the OS. The only thing I would need is Adobe software. I have an old CS6 license from my college and I want to be able to use Photoshop and InDesign for print layout. Anyone know if those are supported in Linux?

You’d need to run them through Wine, but they should both work:

Photoshop, InDesign

I run Scrivener through Wine and it and it runs just dandy and syncs fine with a copy I had running on a Windows computer. Not sure about iOS.

Is Wine pretty easy to run, set up, etc. I’ve never ventured into that side of things on Linux.

I didn’t have too much trouble with it. Even had it set up where I just have a shortcut on the home page that I clicked to run the program with ease. I did it mostly through the terminal, so it depends on how comfortable you are using the terminal stuff, although, like most of linux, there are so many different ways to go about doing it.

Watch a video or two in YouTube and you’ll be fine :slightly_smiling_face:

For anyone interested in trying out Linux you really should its not as scary as everyone makes it out to be! Download VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ and watch this https://youtu.be/2CqmbvkyS4E then just start playing with it. http://www.osboxes.org/ has a lot of preconfigured vm images If you want to quickly try out a few.

If you don’t like the overall look you can completely swap out the desktop environment system. For example i don’t like Ubuntus default which is called Unity so I use Gnome on my desktop and XFCE on my laptop. You can even have multiple ones installed and switch between them simply by logging out.

If you run into an issue Ubuntu has its own sub section on Stack Overflow https://askubuntu.com/

Terminal is a good thing to know how to use but is now not needed for the most part if you plan to use it just as a desktop. If you do people almost always give you the exact command to run.

My advice for dual booting is have separate hard drives. That way if you need to say reinstall Windows or Linux you’re not worrying about partitions.