NaNoWriMo starts today!

Is anyone considering participating? It’s basically the writer’s Inktober, where you attempt to write a novel in a month.

Basically, the goal is to put down 50,000 words by the end of November, which basically translates to 1,667 words a day!

I’ve attempted it before, but have never gotten all the way through. I’m going to try and make a Tabletop RPG for this year. You can do a novel, a script, a series, whatever you want! As long as you put words on paper.

Anyone gonna give it a shot this month?

Perhaps we could do a sort of group participation thing? Help each other work through the month and reach the goal.

I’m doing it this year! I want to practice finishing longform work, so I’m giving it a serious go. I’m writing fanfiction so I can skip a lot of the process that typically bogs me down (worldbuilding).

I’ve won a few years but I don’t think the stories written were even remotely planned beyond the starting premise. This year, I’m taking a much more structured approach, which I’ve found helps me produce something manageable.

Oh, I didn’t even know there were winners, lol

I just used it as a self-challenge to urge myself to write.

I’m iffy on NaNo in general, since I tried it a few times but dislike how a lot of my stories come out without planning. I have a ton of unfinished fanfic that I’ve actually done outline work on, and honestly? I’ll probably just use the NaNo mood to buoy myself toward finishing everything I dropped before I start something new.

I totally understand that. I have two unfinished works I keep meaning to get back to, but I get frustrated with myself because I feel like my perspective has changed, or that what I thought would be a good idea back then isn’t really that good an idea.

But I actually feel like I enjoy just freeform writing without any planning, jumping between areas of the general idea in my head to somehow fit them all together at some future point. That probably isn’t the way you’re supposed to write, but the one time I took NaNoWriMo seriously and got half way through the challenge, that was the way I got it done.

I think I’ll give this a try. I’ve always wanted to write more and this seems like a good enough way to make myself do it.

Maybe we could start a discord? Post our word count number in one channel, writing techniques, blogs, or stuff to help people get past writers block?

Edit: Actually, I just went ahead and did it.

Feel free to join ya’ll:

to be clear, “winning” is just meeting a minimum word count, it’s not a thing where your work is compared with other peoples’ or anything. Don’t remember what it was but I think something like 60,000?

edit: oops, guess it was 50,000 as per the original post.

I’ve done it once and for me, at least, it felt like working a extra part time job. Worth it to be able to say I’ve done it, but not something I’ll choose to do again.

oh also re: planning/outlining, there’s nothing about nanowrimo that prohibits doing that ahead of time, as far as I know, except that it’s too late for that at this point. I do know people who’ve met the word count who did plan and outline within November, so it’s not impossible, it just eats away at your available time to write. What I found I really didn’t have time for is editing.

I’m doing it for the first time!
I have a general idea of the story I am telling, but I’d hesitate to call it an outline.
Yesterday was a blazing success: >2,000 words in under two hours.
I think (hope?) I have the diligence to keep it up for the whole month. I’m a single parent with a full time job so it’s a lot, yes, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse.

Nice!

It was a bad day to start for me. :’) 500 words only, but that’s because I went to a bachelor party right after work and barely had any time to work on my thing.

I think approaching something like NaNoWriMo the same way some artists treak Inktober (“make a finished piece of work in ink every day of the month for a month”) can be really valuable?

For some art folks, Inktober over the last few years has gradually been distilled down to “make something every day” and that kind of structure can be more empowering than a looming 50k word count, especially for those who are interested, but don’t typically work at a pace or frequency that naturally lends itself to stepping up to that goal!

Congratulations on your 500 words, and I hope you had a good time at the bachelor party! I hope you can find a way to make this month goal work for you, instead of having it snap at your heels, and best of luck to you (and any other Waypoint folks diving in!) with their projects!

This is how I’m approaching NaNoWriMo this time out! I’ve tried for 50k a few times, but I just haven’t been able to sustain that sort of pace happily. I wrote 600 words last night (toward a goal of 12000 words), and I’m planning a similar volume every day, but if I manage a single coherent sentence every day, I’m going to call that a complete success.

I managed to complete the 50k word goal a couple of years ago on my first NaNoWriMo three years ago but haven’t participated since. I was thinking about trying again this year but I have so much going on right now that the thought of trying was just too much.

The novel I wrote was about half way through my projected plot when I hit 50k on the final day. It was focused on a group of friends and a thrift shop during a zombie apocalypse.

I wasn’t above including my random thoughts about the zombie survival genre of video games when I just couldn’t and needed to pad out my word count for a day. Really, who’s going to magically become an accomplished crossbow hunter during an apocalypse when there are literally tons of canned goods available.

I am now subjecting you to my terrible rant from 3 years ago!

" ‘I’d have to be pretty darn hungry to eat egg salad that has been sitting for who knows how long.’ Said Emily. ‘Lets hope it doesn’t get to that, or having nothing but meat available. Though really, I’ve always thought it is sort of ridiculous how in zombie survival games the easiest way to get food is inevitably hunting. First of all, thought I’ve never done it personally, I used to work with enough hunters to know that skinning and preserving a deer isn’t easy. Things weigh a lot, most of them haul them out of the bush on a four wheeler so I hope you’ve got those implemented in your game. Also it is a ton of work to get them cleaned and butchered, it doesn’t take the equivalent of five minutes of game time to get it done. Second deer are skittish, if you’re not an experienced hunter with a hunting cabin that you can get to good luck finding one, especially if everyone is after them. Say you do get lucky and manage to shoot one, and through sheer grit and determination manage to chop it up without wasting too much of it. Now you have the problem of preserving it. People underestimate how much specialized cultural knowledge is required to preserve stuff without freezers. You could try figuring it all out, but it isn’t going to be easy in the zombie apocalypse. I think it all stems from a misunderstanding of history and anthropology. Most hunter/gatherer cultures should more properly be called gather/hunter cultures. Most of their calories throughout history came from the gathering side of the equation, with a few exceptions like the Inuit, but that’s because of the extreme conditions they lived in. If you wanted to make a realistic zombie survival game hunting would hardly be a factor at all. Realistically you’d keep yourself alive by gathering, especially since our society has created ways of preserving food for really long periods of time. You know how long a can of beans lasts on the shelf? They say 2-5 years, but that’s an underestimate. If the can isn’t bulging it is probably still safe to eat way beyond that. It just might not taste so good and some of the nutrition might be gone. Our society makes so many things right now that survivors would live by salvaging and gathering for years and years before having to resort to hardcore homesteading. Which is a good thing because those skills take time to develop, you can’t go from ordering Thai food and pizza for dinner every night to growing enough crops to feed yourself without a lot of trial and error. Farmers might be okay, but even they would have a lot of adjustment. The same thing applies to crafting clothes, armour or weapons in game. Why would I hack together a crossbow out of logs when I could go down to the nearest sporting goods store and get one that would last for ages along with more ammo than I could carry?’

Sandra starred at Emily for a second, not having expected a simple sandwich to have triggered such a long speech.

Emily looked embarrassed and shrugged, a slight grin on her face. ‘I guess though, they’re just games and people like crafting in survival games. I was always just annoyed that I couldn’t play them and survive without resorting to eating a deer steak a day, while I’d barely find any beans and even if I could a whole can barely put a dent in whatever hunger stat it had. Also grains, they keep a long time… uh sorry, didn’t mean to start again.’
"

Got to 1,276 words last night.

A slow start for me, but I’m hoping I get a couple of catch up days soon.

I do Nano every year and never finish anything, but I stopped worrying about it once I realized that’s not what I use Nano for.

Basically Nano forces me to get out of that part where I over plan things and then never write anything because it’s not perfect. I end up doing a LOT of word vomit, but I get the stories out and can go back and edit them later, which is always fun. And funny.