'Naraka: Bladepoint' Is a Battle Royale Descended from Fighting Games

Naraka: Bladepoint is a melee focused battle royale with Apex Legends-esque hero characters, loot boxes, and a surprising amount of facial customization. It is, like most battle royales, a game that lives and dies by its ability to generate interesting stories via resource restriction and player interaction. Which is why the most generous pitch for the game I can give is a story.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dy7pvv/naraka-bladepoint-is-a-battle-royale-descended-from-fighting-games
1 Like

Naraka freaking rips, and I’m glad Waypoint is covering it. I came onboard when it arrived on Gamepass, and it’s been my preferred battle royale lately. The only downside is that the PC players are all godlike at the game and consistently filet me in no time flat. I don’t think it’s because I’m on controller, which feels like less of a disadvantage here than a shooter, but the meta for the game has settled on a core player base that are simply incredible at the game. But then again, getting my ass kicked is the most authentic BR experience, so I guess I can’t complain. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Naraka: Bladepoint is really excellent and also came out of absolute nowhere for me. I know it’s been out for about a year now on PC, but having discovered it via “well, it’s on Game Pass, I guess I’ll give it a try” (which is now how I seem to play most games these days), I can’t get enough of it. When you’re locked into a fight with someone of a similar skill level and trying to read what each other is doing, all while zipping around with grappling hooks, feinting focus attacks, and trying to figure out when to throw caution to the wind and go for a killing blow at the risk of being disarmed? Like, it’s just pure melee magic.

The game has a healthy amount of jank to it, but it really is doing something cool. It’s been taking all my multiplayer attention for the past 3 weeks.

3 Likes

Oh dang, I’ve been pretty interested in this since hearing Cado mention it on the pod last year sometime. Glad to see it’s apparently still going strong and people are enjoying it. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to check it out at some point if it ever comes to Playstation or gets Steam Deck support.

I believe they’ve already said they’re working on other console versions, Xbox One and PS5 specifically (though not PS4 as of yet, which seems weird). I’d love for it to work on Steam Deck as well, but I’m not holding my breath, given the use of anti cheat.

1 Like