'Need for Speed: Heat' Keeps Sabotaging Quality With Quantity

The more time I spend with it, the more I start to think there’s a great game inside Need for Speed: Heat, but it’s like a vein of gold that you can follow for a few feet before it vanishes back into the strata of grind, forced downtime, and unexpected jank.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5yzn4/need-for-speed-heat-open-world-racer-problems

FYI, you totally don’t have to go back to the garage to switch to night. You can do it from the map screen.

Something resonated with me here. I really did not like Burnout Paradise. I was a huge fan of the Burnout series, and I tried 2 or 3 times to get into Paradise but found it had so much downtime compared to the immediacy of choosing an event which some specific goals and a selection of potential cars to use. I didn’t want to spend time outside of events exploring shortcuts or jumps I might use in those events. I’d rather just learn them as I try progressively more difficult or longer races through the same sections of track.

Open world and “free-roam” was a feature that came up a lot in the mid-late 2000s, but I feel like a lot of games that went in that direction produced lifeless spaces that didn’t really serve a purpose beyond being the locations where the “main events” took place.

I guess I don’t see how racing specifically translates well to an open world format.

3 Likes