Never Have I Ever: Gaming Edition

Never have I ever played a game of “Never Have I Ever” like this! Listeners chimed in with their weird, amazing, and unique gaming experiences and we played never have I ever with them! Come along as Austin, Gita, Patrick, Rob, and Ricardo all share their oddest gaming experiences, from brute forcing RPGS, to having parents call a game company, to being taken under the wing of an altruistic online stranger in a multiplayer game, get ready for a hilarious holiday hoopla!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7k9wyy/never-have-i-ever-gaming-edition

Played an Assassin’s Creed game. That’s probably why I’m able to enjoy big open worlds a la Ghost of Tsushima so much.

1 Like

Me neither. (Or a bunch of other popular games series, to be fair.) I can probably Never Have I Ever for ages just on that…

This reminds me, I found a Shiny Charizard and a Shiny Venusaur (I think) in my very first pack of Pokemon Cards. This was before I even knew what Pokemon the game was. Just every kid in school said Pokemon was cool, so I asked my mom to get them for me.

I ended up losing both of them in like a week because I kept bringing them to school for people to see.

2 Likes

Similar story!

My very first pack had a blastoise and the girl down the street and her mom were way more into it then I was at the time and traded me roughly 60 cards including a venosaur for it and at the time I was firmly in the bulbasaur is #1 camp so I was over the moon.

Edit: if you’re looking for a more modern take on the Jedi Knights combat check out Blade Symphony a f2p game on Steam. Unfortunately it’s fairly dead now but easily playable with friends.

1 Like

I remember being the first person in my neighbourhood to at least prove that I had a shiny Charizard mainly because I didn’t realise how rare that was. I still remember where I got it from. God bless you my local SPAR.

One game I remember just putting down as a child was Final Fantasy IX when Dagger is rendered mute after the decimation of Alexandria because I was so crushed. I didn’t pick it up again for about another decade!

3 Likes

(also, the “download this podcast” link is broken on the article, btw: it links to the Sorkincast not this one - the correct link is https://sphinx.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/neverhaveiever-gamingedition/media.mp3 )

On topic, now I’m listening through the podcast: I also have the whole “experiencing console games through rental massively changes your perspective on consoles” experience too. We had Commodore personal computers (A C128 first, followed by two Amigas) up until 1996, when we got our first “PC”; but we did, once every few months, rent a console and some games for a weekend. The rental place only had Sega MegaDrives and NeoGeos, and obviously it wasn’t worth renting a JRPG or something because only having a weekend - and only a few hours of that weekend - to play through something big would be pointless. But even things like Sonic the Hedgehog - I played the first zone of that game a lot, but never got very much further.
(That’s also one reason why I still dislike video game controllers and find them awkward, unnatural to use, and generally much less convenient than any other way of interacting with a game.)

Blade Symphony was cool as hell. Shame it never found an audience.

The pod reminded me of a time when I had to quit a game earlier than I wanted to. I was playing Driver San Francisco and got to a story mission where you were riding in a news helicopter and were supposed to use your birds-eye-view combined with your psychic car-controlling powers to jump into a specific vehicle to… do something. Stop a car chase, I think? The helicopter went along a set path and then stopped when it got to the van it wanted you to use and then… nothing. No button prompt to jump to the van and none of my buttons did anything. I was just stuck in this helicopter, eternally floating over a van in an alleyway. I tried restarting the game. Nothing. Restarting my computer. Nothing. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Nothing. Eventually I gave up, spent some time just driving around and enjoying driving fast cars off ramps. But not too long after I just moved on to other games.

I only listened to the first bit so far, but thank you Gita for showing me that I am not alone in the drinks plain Constant Comment club. It’s a simple pleasure but it never gets old.