New GRRM/From game confirmed

So, who’s excited?

2 Likes

Insanely excited but also desperately want this game to ship with only ~70% of the story finished and the game to have a DLC function in which it seamlessly incorporates the latest posts from GRRM’s LiveJournal about how busy he is with other stuff.

Or maybe the sort of ambiguous story telling of From games will manage to cover the fact that GRRM didn’t finish the script?!

4 Likes

EternalRing_front-1-
:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

5 Likes

I am really really excited about this

Ideally a Wizardry situation happens and we can snail mail our save games on a USB to FromSoftware to have the data converted so it can work on the PlayStation 7 to play the end of the game.

2 Likes

Unrelated but holy shit Wizardry owns. You can take one party of characters from Wizardry 1 all the way to Wizardry 8, through the entire mainline series and 20 years of physical media from cassettes and 5.25" to DVD. Fuckin’ rules.

1 Like

If GRRM is only consulting on world-building stuff, it’s not like From needs all that much help.

Yeah true but I am not going to let facts and reality get in the way of my very lazy and obvious joke.

2 Likes

Thank god Geoffery R R Martin is here to bring some gritty real fantasy to From Software’s games.

Really though dude’s a hack and I bet the game will be the worse because of his involvement, lol. Between this and sekiro fromsoft’s lost my interest completely. Can’t wait for Armored Core 6 featuring Joss Whedon.

1 Like

I’m excited. Though tbh I will play anything from makes

I’m not really sure Martin has anything to add to a From game that they aren’t already better than him at unless it’s either a food description sim or a game composed entity of skeevy sex scenes but damn if I’m not always down for a From game so sure why not

2 Likes

I mean i seriously doubt its more than some “Executive producer” type name recognition. I mean I do actually like Game of Thrones for the most part, so i’m intruiged if anything actually substative happens. Who knows though, it looks like Miazaki is the team director, and he runs a solid ship, and his teams tend to deliver. So i’m excited!

Someone get the Cooking Mama team back together for a GRRM cooking game.

4 Likes

Yeah idk what it really adds, From’s already got world building in the bank with way more interesting worlds than what we’ve seen from GRRM.
My whole stake in this is just my excitement for another From game.
While “Elden Ring” is better than “Great Rune” I still had to click on the link like three times to remember it.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty disingenuous to say Martin’s not a good writer or worldbuilder, at least as disingenuous as it would be to pretend his books aren’t problematic as hell. He’s been successful for a reason, has written a lot more than just asoiaf, and has the experience of switching to different writing mediums. And From is not actually that great at writing – certainly Miyazaki is on record saying he thinks he himself is bad at it. What they’re good at is ideas, and at suggestion and implication and tone, and video game-specific stuff like level design and environmental storytelling. I think getting someone like Martin to take their ideas and build out some more substance for them to build on top of and around, especially if it gets some name recognition to push more sales, is really smart.

2 Likes

This leak must be wrong. FromSoftware + Bandai Namco × George R.R. Martin = Gundam. I was even hoping for a game based on the obscure knight-themed mech series: The Five Star Stories. But I still have hope. Perhaps, in a world of elders and their rings, mechs still exist.

3 Likes

I would agree with you if I thought he was going to do anything other than show up and name a few things and do an overview of the plot but the odds of that are slim, and I honestly just don’t agree that he’s that great of a writer. He does pulp grade work fine no doubt but he’s not exactly Ursula K Le Guin and his tendency towards the problematic holds him back a great deal. His only saving grace is that his work is so long I don’t have time to read it again and come up with a more nuanced explanation of why I think he’s not very good

Having said that I have heard (albeit a while ago) he’s a nice enough dude who has done stuff for women and POC in fantasy writing so I am hardly calling for a boycott of him but that does little to change my thoughts on him purely as a writer

On the plus side GRRM’s involvement will mean that all the armour sets will have extremely over-described nipples on them, and the last 2/5 of the game will largely be about food distribution logistics.

1 Like

I mean if this is basically Dark Souls but with some basic “you have to make some managerial decisions because you rule a place” stuff to it that would unironically own. Like From’s takes on Defenders of the Crown or something.

I love Dark Souls dearly but I hope this is even more of a break from that formula than Sekiro (which I also loved!) was. Gimme that Fromsoft challenge/exploration/boss-fight combo, sure, but put it in a new framework. Having a city-building/strategic layer would be pretty rad actually, or making it even more horror focused, or some other such thing. And for the love of god bring back character creation, Sekiro handled a fixed character far better than I expected it to but I still miss making my own characters. I guess we’ll hopefully find out tomorrow!

1 Like