Non Default Option Settings That Made You Like A Game More

Apologies for the terrible title!

I was thinking back on Breath of the Wild and how I felt that game was just a more interesting experience with “pro mode” (what a super dumb name) and japanese vo.
Nintendo did such a wonderful job building the world of BotW, so it was actually possible to navigate it without arrows or minimaps. Landmarks made sense and riddles and quests where intuitively located and described within the world. The animation of link wonderfully communicated if the character was freezing etc… For the first time in a long time, I was playing an open world game by looking at characters, animations, geometry and landmarks rather than a hud.
The japanese vo was a step up over the bland english one and really gave the game and extra touch if Miyazaki magic (Daruk and the Deku Tree especially).

So I am wondering, what are games that you played where enabling/disabling stuff in an options menu led to a substantially more enjoyable experience and how?

I’m not a huge Uncharted fan but playing Uncharted 4 with lock on, easy mode, and the ability to hold down a button instead of tap it made it a lot more fun for me. the game wants you to play it as a breezy freeform thing but the default settings require a lot more focus on shooting and cover, which drags the pace down.

i also like disabling a lot of the HUD elements in Dishonored, though it kind of revealed how much of that game is built around using waypoints.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has trials that add some extra hurdles to the game (plus you get some extra items for having them toggled on). One of these trials makes every enemy scale up to the PC’s level. Especially fighting dragons became a real challenge with that mode toggled on, but it was fun and satisfying.

Also I think these trials are part of the Trespasser DLC, which is a shame because they add subtle (or in some cases, less subtle) changes to the game that make it fun to replay it.

Almost always prefer different text box color choices when available, like in Earthbound or Pokemon. Makes it more fun to read the dialogue. Also tend to disable war in the Civilization games, especially since they’re so geared toward conquest and domination strats. I mostly play them to enact fantasy history scenarios.

whoa hang on you can disable war in the Civilization games? that sounds like it would be totally dope. it’s amazing that i’ve never heard anyone else bring it up.

Yup! Well in Civ IV at least (Always Peace option). I think they may have removed it in V though :sweat_smile:

oh that’s a shame.

Colourblind options are always nice.

Inverted Y axis.

flees

It drives me crazy when a game doesn’t let you control the audio mix (i.e. BGM, SFX,etc). Nintendo is very bad with that. I can easily double my playtime with a game if I’m allowed to mix in my own music with the game’s sound.

For every game ever: subtitles - on

I did the exact same, and have started a second playthrough where I don’t even look at the map in my menu. It’s so good at telegraphing the world to you and making areas recognisable.

Yeah, I turned off all those markers in Dishonored 2. It’s so much fun to navigate the world entirely based on reading the environment and in-world items compared to having a large marker point you somewhere. Dunno how it was in the first game, but at least the sequel is great at giving you all the necessary clues if you search for them.

It’s also part of what made Breath of the Wild so great for me, and to echo another post I thought that also felt better with the pro mode. The Zelda team did a fantastic job designing the world and its systems so that you didn’t need the extended UI. (Also I think the UI elements look super weird aesthetically :slight_smile:)

Sadly, many games aren’t designed to be played without markers even if they give you the option to turn them off. When I played The Witcher 3 this summer I turned a lot of stuff off and it often felt like I was brute forcing myself through quests. Was still a great game despite that issue, but coming to it after BotW I had a mild whiplash.

Witcher 3 was also one i liked the HUD off for, but by default it really shows you how much it relies on markers. I split the difference and installed a mod that let me bring it up and then fade it out, and used a Skyrim style compass instead of waypoints.

It was cool because I started to navigate by map more and use the landmarks along the way to gauge where i was.

I did the fade out setting for H:ZD and it was a great choice. When the environment is that pretty, I want as little clutter as possible.

Headshot mode in Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. With the number of stave off the horde moments in it made it much more fun.

I think playing Nier Automata and Persona 5 in Japanese this year resulted in a better experience, but I say that as somebody with an N3 who also knows that there are parts in both of those games where a lack of Japanese proficiency could actually end up being detrimental. Nier Automata has a lot of dialogue that happens during action sequences, and Persona 5 has a few instances of straight-up story significant dialog that isn’t subtitled.

Much the same, I’m looking forward to Xenoblade 2 much more now in light of recent announcements.

Disabling UI elements can really open a game up to a lot of things good and ill. Half-Life 2? Beautiful and thrilling.

First DH game was great when you were in the main missions, but it was obvious the houndspits pub area between levels was designed around having waypoints. Wasted so much time aimlessly running around in circles because the game only tells you a character wants to speak with you but give no clues as to where they currently are.

Honestly don’t know how anyone plays Fire Emblem games with permadeath on. That system’s a blight on the series I swear, even when it’s off you can feel how the game was designed around it and how it’s fucked up so much of it. Having it off has made playing Awakening at least tollerable, even with all the rest of it.