Oh God, Even Our F'ing Podcast Is About ‘Subterfuge’ Now

During our charity stream last week, Austin and Rob were sucked into participating a game of Subterfuge, a "simple" mobile strategy game built on alliances, betrayal, and taking over your life. It’s even invaded our podcast. Despite this, Patrick, Austin, Rob, Danielle, and Natalie found a way to discuss Fallout 76’s beta, Black Ops 4, Return of the Obra Dinn, Call of Cthulhu, Soulcalibur VI and Unexplored. We’ll have thoughts on Red Dead Redemption 2 next week, as we only got access to the game a day before it came out.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vbkwk4/oh-god-even-our-fing-podcast-is-about-subterfuge-now

Direct link is to Purge Anarchy spoilercast rather than a WPR?

https://media.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/maybetitledrewatchpodcast-thepurge-anarchy-2014-/media.mp3

Edit: correct link from the RSS feed download.

This seems to have been fixed now, although I can’t tell!

Hmm, I’m still getting the old url for “If you’d like to directly download the podcast, click here.” in the story (maybe the Vice main website caches on some regional CDN so I’m seeing an outdated version and you’re seeing the edited version where it’s fixed with the right mp3 url?)

Ahhh, my bad – that link is still broken for me too (I misunderstood which link it was!). Hopefully will be fixed soon? I just dropped a quick @ at the Twitter account, hopefully will help.

Regarding the Black Ops 4 logo, the “IIII” does actually exist as the “Watchmaker’s 4,” where the “IIII” appears in place of “IV” on watches. There doesn’t seem to be a definite reason watches use that, but the assumed theory is that it’s meant to help with aesthetics. The “IIII” for BO4 does seem to be for that kind of purpose, as it forms a symmetrical “shield” logo consistent with what was done for BO2 and BO3.

The IIII could also represent tick marks, though I suppose we’ll know for sure what’s going on with the logo when the next Black Ops arrives…

EDIT: Here’s an article on the “IIII” for those interested: https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/encyclopaedia/glossary-of-watchmaking/s/roman-numeral-iiii-on-dials-1/

Okay, was gonna drop in and try and write a funny post about the Dobby Discourse, and how much worse Ron and Harry’s positions are than even what Rob and Natalie said, but like, god, it really is some reprehensible trash, and Patrick was right not wanting to go into it >_<

Anyway, props on another good episode, and take care with that subterfuge game!

That Subterfuge game is on Day 6 and someone finally dug a mine.

Also I cannot wait until everyone comes to the dark realization that Subterfuge is barely even a strategy game.

I mean, I feel like the nature of House Elves are even worse. Like, as if the fact that Ron’s assertion that “Why liberate the house elves they like being slaves” isn’t bad enough, it’s backed up by all the non-Dobby house elves who vehemently agree with that notion. Like, what is gained from writing those characters that way even?

JK Rowling’s neoliberal fantasies