One Reason I've Always Loved 'Final Fantasy VIII' Is Because People Hate it

“...Whatever.”

If there’s a single line that defines my memory of Final Fantasy VIII, re-released last week with updated visuals and quality-of-life features to eliminate much of the game’s grind, it’s Squall’s hysterically blasé reaction to everything around him. It also tracks with my own feelings on Final Fantasy VIII, and the way I’ve felt whenever Square Enix makes a splashy announcement riffing on Final Fantasy nostalgia and, once again, ignores Final Fantasy VIII’s existence. The world never gave this weird game its due, and I’ve been mad ever since. Being a Final Fantasy VIII stan has been a point of pride—a petty act of rebellion, a middle finger to the bandwagon fans of Final Fantasy VII and nostalgia-clingers of Final Fantasy IX.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwjxn/one-reason-ive-always-loved-final-fantasy-viii-is-because-people-hate-it
1 Like

I had no idea people hated viii. I always thought it was cool and weird and the card game rules.

it’s no ix tho

1 Like

It certainly wasn’t hated at the time.

Personally, I can’t help but love it despite it being a gigantic mess of a game. The visuals and OST are great but the story falls apart and mechanically it’s disastrous.
I just love that they went for an antisocial lead character for a JRPG and the audiovisual experience of that game was pretty amazing at the time.

That being said, the best thing about this article is recognizing that hating or loving something (or pretending to) just because someone else loves or hates something is absolutely stupid and ridiculous.
Just a dreadful mindset that we should be able to recognize in ourselves and put and end to whenever it crops up.

2 Likes

Final Fantasy VIII still remains one of my favorites. It’s the weirdo game I imprinted on during a formative life period. There are so many random things I love and remember about this game even though I haven’t played it in years. Zell’s love of hot dogs, taking SeeD exams to raise my rank, those cute little mini Red XIII’s (mumbas), the Disc 1 finale (legendary), that quest where you help organize the school festival, “chicken wuss.”

I have a lot of fond memories sitting at home during summer vacation, cracking open my strategy guide, and spending hours playing FFVIII. Also, the soundtrack absolutely SLAPS.

Being a Final Fantasy VIII stan has been a point of pride—a petty act of rebellion, a middle finger to the bandwagon fans of Final Fantasy VII and nostalgia-clingers of Final Fantasy IX .

I laughed at loud at this line. It took me back to the verbal fisticuffs I got into in high school defending the honor of both FFVII and FFVIII from FFIX stans.

For the most part, I was unaware of the FFVIII hate. Glad I missed it!

3 Likes

I notice you left out people who favor FFVI, probably because they are the only ones who are correct.

3 Likes

The draw system just needs a tweak or two! It’s fine!

Also just want to post this because I got a kick out of it earlier in the year.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/squalls-whatever-line-in-japanese-final-fantasy-viii/

1 Like

I also don’t remember anyone hating FF8. Sure there’s been plenty of jokes about Squall being an ass, but there’s stuff like that for basically all of the games from 7 onwards (Cloud being emo, Zidane’s weird cuffs, Tidus’s laugh).
I think 13 is the first one I really remember widespread ire towards.