OnRush is Letting Me Relive my Glory Days as a Racer

Open Thread is where Waypoint staff talk about games and other things we find interesting. This is where you'll see us chat about games, music, movies, TV, and even sports, and welcome you to participate in the discussion.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gyk7mb/onrush-racing-splatoon-unconventional

The more I hear people talk about Onrush the more I’m intrigued by it. Does anyone know if it has split screen multiplayer? I’ve been slowly getting my wife back into gaming with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but she still isn’t a huge fan of us competing against each other. A co-op multiplayer racer would work really well for us.

Not sure this really counts as unexpected, but the Guitar Hero games really helped fill the hole that no longer being part of an orchestra program left once I graduated high school. It offered a way of interacting with music that was low commitment but still skill based with a high ceiling and easily measured improvement, and playing with the virtual band is a much more full experience than practicing music on your own.

I love cleaning up and organizing things in my life. A couple games scratch that same itch really well. Resident Evil 4 with it’s inventory system, and The Beginner’s Guide with the one level where you just clean a slightly messy house for as long as you want.

God, The Beginner’s guide is good for so many reasons but I would pay legit money for just that little house cleaning level as a stand alone thing.

I’m loving this game. Now if only my teammates would stop trying to run me down…

So it sounds like OnRush failed to find an audience and the studio behind it (which we should remember are the studio that Sony almost laid off but ended up selling to Codies) is now being turned into a support team/asset farm for the other Codemasters teams. Senior positions axed, people interviewing for positions on other teams/having to interview for their old job, and probably no chance of an internal project getting a greenlit in the future.

“It is normal course of business for game teams to evolve as projects launch and move into service, and as other new projects start. As such, it isn’t appropriate to comment on day to day movement of staff changes,” a Codemasters spokesperson told Eurogamer this morning.

I’m part of the problem since I didn’t buy Onrush and was waiting for a price I could afford since money’s tight right now but damn, game looked amazing to me and those guys have a good track record of either making great games or at least righting the ship after a botched launch (Drive club), really really crappy that this has happened to them.

Damn that’s really sad. I was a pretty big fan of Evolution’s Motorstorm series back on PS3, picked up Driveclub, and picked up OnRush at launch–half-hoping I’d get that Motorstorm feel I’ve been missing, but also just wanting to support the game because of the team behind it. Admittedly, I haven’t put in too much time into it since launch week, and it didn’t quite give me that feeling I was hoping for, but it’s still a damn fun game. It sucks things shook out this way :disappointed: