Oscars 2020 - AKA The Joker Awards

You know, what this proves to me is that playing YOUR joker is a GOLD MINE for awards. I can’t wait for 7 more dark Joker retellings starring everyone and their mother.

1 Like

Willem Defoe will never win an Oscar, huh?

5 Likes

I only saw Uncut Gems last night, and I’m shocked that there was no Best Actor nomination for Adam Sandler (never thought I’d be saying this 10 years ago), or Julia Fox for Best Actress. Granted, Sandler has been on total career burnout mode with some absolutely godawful comedies, but the energy he brought to Uncut Gems was phenomenal.

Especially criminal to not see a Best Film nomination for The Farewell, or Best Actress / Supporting Actress for Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen respectively. All of them should have been shoo-ins for those categories, the Academy’s old white man majority couldn’t be more obvious with this snub.

Joaquin Phoenix nomination for Best Actor is fair, but everything else for Joker is a blatant play to get more eyes on the awards show this year. Best Director for Todd Philips is peak jokers_trick.txt, he’s a hack copying off the homework of much better filmmakers.

10 Likes

Can’t wait 2 see the Taxi Driver/King of Comedy rip-off beat out the guy who actually directed those movies

7 Likes

Not until Marvel puts out its R-rated Goblin movie.

3 Likes

The Farewell getting nothing at all truly hurts. No Lupita Nyongo for Us either? J-Lo gets snubbed because her movie was too much fun? Nothing for Portrait of a Lady on Fire?? Fuck this TV show.

I have no reason to watch this crap. Just read the AV Club Best Of list instead.

7 Likes

Can’t believe they expect people to watch this when it’ll have zero World Premieres and not even any chance of showing new Smash DLC.

20 Likes

Yeah this is fucked and just makes it clear that the recent years where we actually got some recognition for films starring and directed by POC were only lip service/appeasement. No The Farewell noms? Really?

3 Likes

My gut feeling says Marriage Story takes Best Picture and we get “Crash 3.0”

And speaking of comedians delivering incredible performances out of the blue, where the hell is Eddie Murphy?

3 Likes

Greatly looking forward to the upcoming trend of making every prestige film tangentially related to superheros in order to get a studio to sign on. Crime drama featuring The Flash’s nephew. Gay romance but you can see the Daily Planet building in a skyline shot. The Arkham Redemption.

4 Likes

The latter requires a superhero movie to have an LGBT character who has a name and more than one scene, and that’s a big ask for the MCU.

1 Like

Uh-oh, I think I’m Mad About The Oscar’s, again.

Where the hell is Willem Defoe? Why has The Lighthouse been almost totally locked out? Damn, good to know you can make an absolute tour de force of filmmaking, but it’ll get btfo’d because it’s a horror movie.

Why is Joker nominated for sound mixing? Did they even SEE that horrific Rock n Roll Part 2 scene, where a crass needle drop gives out to that overblown score?

And Dolemite is My Name fucking rules, it’s stunning to me that stuff like Baumbach’s thoroughly good divorce bullshit has overshadowed it

Grrrrr…

5 Likes

My reaction to basically all of the announcements:

This film was totally robbed (along with so many others).

5 Likes

Have a list of every notable movie not nominated for a single oscar

(if you can think of some i missed i’ll add them to it)

4 Likes

As an immigrant, I’m ready to go burn down the academy for snubbing The Farewell. Anyone wanna join?
The fact that they decided to consider it a “foreign” film is just so indicative of the academy and how they view immigrant narratives. It’s absurd.

Don’t wanna launch into yet another Joker rant, better better ranters have ranted about it, but I really don’t get the whole “at least Joaquin was good” thing with Joker. What was the good part? That he kicked a dumpster and laughed weird? It gives me a college-level theatre vibe where loud equals good. Don’t get me wrong, I believe he’s a good actor and I believe good actors can save crappy material, but maybe not when the material is this far gone.

:zap:go Bong :zap:

3 Likes

Midsommar didn’t even get a nod for production design. How?

1 Like

My rule: if you say somebody got snubbed, you have to say which currently nominated person or film you’d remove. This always really bothers me when talking about Oscar’s and other awards.

I watch a disturbingly few films in a year, so I really have no other right to talk about this other than to say the academy are clowns for giving this film any attention:

1 Like

Remove phoenix from best actor and replace him with sandler. Phoenix has better performances in his career and i hate when good actors win for bad movies. Sandler blows everyone else out of the water in that category.

Remove Charlize Theron from Actress and replace her with Awkwafina. Bombshell is all sorts of Ick. Awkwafina was phenomenal.

Replace Todd Phillips and Tarantino for Director with Lulu Wang and the Safdie’s. A hack comedy director making a scorsese rip with joker facepaint and old hat dude who hasn’t made an interesting movie since jackie brown should step aside for newer filmmakers making waves.

3 Likes

Replace Midsommar for either The Irishman or 1917 in Production Design. Not to take away from the obvious craft that goes into establishing historicity on film, but I’m just done with that category (and really, The Oscars in general) being overtaken by period dramas with well-tread settings that are less recognized for artistic merit than they are for how expensive it was to buy all the props and sets. Midsommar, if nothing else, is a beautiful film for how well it realizes its aesthetic in a way that’s visually pleasing and actually creative. Not to mention its “cold open,” which is up there with the most terrifying settings Aster has put to film.

3 Likes