Our Purge Rewatch Continues With the Punisher-esque 'The Purge: Anarchy'

We promised this podcast last week, but...well, we got caught up raising $60,000 for The Florence Project during our charity stream with the Waypoint community last week. Sorry! We're back on track now.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/zm9a79/our-purge-rewatch-continues-with-the-punisher-esque-the-purge-anarchy

I don’t know who has been messing with Austin, but I have never heard “You can’t have your penny and your bun” in my 34 years living across both the North and the South of England.

We're Launching a New Rewatch Podcast By Rewatching Every Damn Purge Movie

If they really can’t think of a title just use “Waypoint Likes to Watch”. It’s hilarious.

Anyway, Purge 2 is the only one of these movies I like. It’s exactly the right balance of 80s action-spoiltation, grimy world-building, and legitimate terror. It feels like a good send-off to movies like The Warriors or Escape from New York, where half the fun is colorful gangs and how crazy the situations get. I also agree with Patrick that this movies feels like a video game. There’s scenes with Frank Grillo that feel straight out of an FPS.

I think the franchise really goes downhill after here because the movies were suddenly taken seriously as actual political statements. Before the whole point was them being scummy murder-death-murder movies with interesting themes, but then by Purge 3 they’re bringing out a Hillary Clinton stand-in and the effect isn’t as good. It wasn’t good politics, it wasn’t good exploitation anymore.

(Maybe Purge 4 is better, I lost interest in the franchise real fast after 3, so haven’t seen it.)

What do you think the odds are that every Purge movie was produced with excessive overtime?

Half an hour into this one I was desperately hoping that the Baseball Furies were going to show up.

Edited to add: Mad Dad Redemption.

Tactical Film School with Rob Zacny

There are a ton of valid critiques of this series, but I appreciate the preponderance of little background world-building touches throughout the different films. Like: license plates are now federally issued.

Quite a few posts shuffled from the other topic into here as they were about this topic – in case folks here are wondering how their posts moved over…

So I’ve never seen any Purge films so please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think both the people within the Purge films and the creators of the Purge franchise are being extremely uncreative with the ramifications of the premise.

Why does everyone immediately jump to murder as the go-to crime legalized under the Purge? If everything is legal, how come there aren’t more financial crimes being committed by hackers? Oh look, I unleashed a virus that stole EVERYONE’s money during Purge night. Can’t prosecute me tho. Sorry.

Even the anti-Purgers’ plot to expose the corrupt system belies a lack of imagination. Organized infrastructure damage as civil disobedience. A Watergate-style break-in to New Founding Fathers party HQ to steal incriminating documents. There’s just so much untapped potential in the premise that gets left on the table when the most Xtreme thing you can come up with is roving bands of murder Nazis.

Okay, I just gotta get this out.

When the group is talking about how people in upper classes would be able to prepare for The Purge better because they would have the wealth and ability to take time off beforehand? Yes this seem reasonable.

But also, you know anybody with the means would just get the hell out of the country. If they have the ability to take vacation days to prepare for The Purge, they can take those vacation days to escape.

Unless time and date of The Purge is randomly chosen or announced (which does not seem to be the case given what we know from the movies) all you need to do is be outside US borders, and you’re safe right? Almost everybody in the mid-to-upper middle class and above would simply not be in the country unless they wanted to be.

I don’t necessarily know if that’s the case. Part of the case that the films are making is that the well-to-do have nothing to fear from the Purge, just as many wealthy people in real life have ‘nothing to fear’ from roving militias or street violence. They might occasionally be caught up in it (and this is the sort of minor violation that is upheld to prove the righteousness and equality of the Purge), but they do not live in the yearly fear that those easier targets of hate do.

It’s also plausible to imagine air fare skyrocketing for this period or, hypothetically, legislation to ensure that ‘everyone participates’ – nobody is above the law.

I’m reminded of the rhetoric that was used around leftist Chilean refugees who managed to escape Augusto Pinochet’s regime, with official propaganda intimating that they were affluent bourgeois who had escaped the difficult conditions facing Chileans under Pinochet to go into lucrative positions in the United States and Europe. It is easy to imagine social stigma around being a ‘Purge escapee’.

If I recall correctly, there are slight touches of some of the stuff you refer to in the first films (I’ve only seen the first two so far, so can’t speak to the latter two). It’s mentioned in the 2nd film that banks move their money to different locations specifically for Purge night. My guess is either they’re really forward thinking, or people probably tried this and got away with it in previous years. (Though also on that note, there’s a lot less straight up looting than I would have thought on Purge night too.) Another thing that’s mentioned is that crimes (or maybe only violent crimes?) against government officials are prohibited which probably prevents the stealing classified documents from idea.

There is one thing I want to point out though that I find extremely interesting. The fact that all crime is legal and yet, there are still restrictions for certain things that can’t be done (like attacking government officials or using certain banned classes of weapons). Because yeah of course when there are supposed to be no rules, you’ll still have people at the top who can make exceptions.

Because they’re American, where self-defense isn’t the first thing I notice when I read stories about guns, just a way for them to find an excuse they can use.

Fair points. I agree entirely that the cost of travel, airfare and gasoline primarily, would skyrocket in the lead up to the yearly Purge. This would probably also be the case for a lot of other goods and materials (food, water, weapons, ammunition, batteries, etc), not unlike an impending natural disaster. This would certainly hit the lowest income people the hardest.

I do take issue with the last point though. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to refugees or to call them “Purge escapees”. The wealthy people who would be able to schedule a vacation for the Purge wouldn’t be leaving the country forever; they’d return within a few days. I could see some countries taking a moral stance and banning travel from the US into their country, but there would be some countries which would remain open. One could even picture a scenario where the US Government, who obviously support the Purge and allow it to continue, would make a diplomatic arrangement to ensure that the wealthiest US citizens had somewhere to go.

Sorry, this is becoming an increasingly unenjoyable thought experiment. I’m going to stop there.