Overwatch Megathread: Bastion is our friend

The Reaper buff along with the barrage of Brigitte nerfs is definitely a reaction to the highest level of play (Grandmaster and the pro scene) being 95% GOATS, which is 3 tanks and 3 supports. Rein, Zarya, D.Va with Lucio, Zen, and Brig, swapping out Rein with Winston if it’s a map with a lot of verticality. Most any other comp gets steamrolled by all that HP, damage nullification, and healing, so both teams just run the exact same setup, and whoever plays it better wins. It can work in lower ranks, but it does require coordination in the sense that the whole team has to stick together all the time and stagger ult usage, so it’s not as popular in Diamond and below.

But yeah, if you’ve been following any of the big streamers and the Contenders league, GOATS is what everyone’s been playing for months and months, and a lot of the pros are sick of it.

I don’t think this big Reaper buff is going to put an end to it nor will it make him super viable in GM and above because his range and mobility sucks, and those top tier players CC his relatively big hitbox instantly to oblivion and very rarely have bad positioning that Reaper punishes immensely in lower ranks.

It’s really more the armor and Rally nerfs if anything that would stop GOATS dominance, but that remains to be seen.

McCree’s still a good counter to Reaper, especially since Fan the Hammer got buffed not too long ago. Flashbang and FTH stops Reaper dead in his tracks consistently. Brig’s Shield Bash and Whip Shot are also good. Same with Lucio boops to keep him at a distance. With fast reflexes and solid aim, Ana’s sleep dart is another answer.

Personally, I’m very excited to for OWL S2 and how the meta will shake out by then. Maybe I’ll be totally wrong and we’ll see everyone’s favorite edgelord Gabby Reyes fuck shit up in the pro scene.

As for my actual experience playing Ranked, it’s been more or less the same sometimes fun, sometimes awful time swinging between high Plat and low Diamond! Trying to learn Ashe, and… she’s good.

1 Like

I don’t give a fuck about Ranked or OWL so if this makes QM unfun, then I just stop playing the game until it gets better or a new Lúcio skin comes out. I’m a simple gay with simple needs.

3 Likes

Me getting pumped with every new support skin/waiting for thotty Soldier 76/Rein/Roadhog skins.

1 Like

waiting for them to give Reinhardt a beach skin like :hot_face: :watch: :moneybag:

They chickened out by not giving him a wrestling singlet and Roadhog his diving outfit from their Summer Games sprays.

1 Like

Anyone been keeping up with the OWL off-season? Anything I should know about come Thursday? I haven’t played the game in months, but for some reason, I still want to keep up with the comp scene.

Sombra voice actor Carolina Ravassa cosplaying as Sombra is excellent:

So many sweet reactions from fans in that video, but 1:51 is just adorable.

Anjali Bhimani is a treasure

There’s lots of great stuff on her YouTube channel, ‘Sweeetanj’.

Thanks for sharing. Anjali’s the best, hope they give Symmetra some love this year with a short or comic or something. Maybe further that redemption arc they teased like three years ago lol

1 Like

If folks are not currently keeping up with the Overwatch League, I’d highly recommend watching this one game from last night – Chengdu Hunters playing against Paris Eternal with some of their, er, patented unorthodox strategies…

4 Likes

Wow, they even managed to make Hanamura look fun!

1 Like

new anniversary event and open mike eagle’s guest appearance on waypoint radio has me coming back to the game

this new wrecking ball intro + the new skin justify me renewing my ps plus subscription

also god has it really been 12 years since the dramatic chipmunk meme

3 Likes

finally i can bring gun game and one in the chamber to overwatch, maybe even search and destroy

1 Like

2/2/2 format and Role Queue are being implemented into both quickplay and competitive formats.

The former is really obviously a reaction to not being able to discourage low-risk team compositions in their tournaments, but the latter is one that I’ve been praying for. I don’t mind waiting a little longer to play DPS when the current system is “fill in the necessary roles people usually won’t pick, or lose”.

My friends and I play pretty casually and we’re pretty bummed that 222 is coming to Quick Play too. We recognize the benefits and generally think them appropriate for competitive/pro play, but losing the freedom in quick play saddens us.

I’ll also be interested to see how Brigitte functions as a less durable and more healing-focused hero since her kit requires her to really get in there. Seems like it’ll be a very tough thing to balance.

Haven’t played Overwatch in ages, not sure this will bring me back yet.

Quickplay having these rules is a big bummer for me too. That’s where you go to just have fun and relax and try out things. I don’t think role queue fits my style either. Depending on the maps I like to play different characters from the different groups. But maybe it can be good for the game. Most people don’t understand/think about/care about team comp so I guess they need to be forced to do it.

Its a bad change. role switching is an important part of the game, sometimes your healer, dps or tank is struggling to do their job because of the map (which you don’t see before you pick your role) or the enemies team comp. You need to be able to switch with teammates that are struggling and putting up fences like this that prevent you from switching out of your role is going to cost people a lot of games they could have won, which will be frustrating. As someone who only plays with a group of friends they are taking away a lot of options and providing absolutely zero benefit

Across most of my time in the game, I can’t think of many instances where people switched roles completely. If they switched at all, it was to a different character in the same role.

As the game is right now, I don’t feel like I have meaningful control of what roles I’d like to play in a given session, without potentially decreasing my likelihood of winning or increasing the likelihood of getting scolded by other people.

Going into quickplay wanting to try a certain DPS, seeing four people have already picked DPS characters, and thinking “cool. time to tank again” has been one of the biggest contributors to me not wanting to play this game.

3 Likes

It solves issues when solo or duo queueing, but its taking away a lot from people who play with their friends. My group is always switching roles because we each have heroes we are good at and heroes we are bad at in each class. Also, 222 is a nice guideline but sometimes you need 3 dps to break through a wall or more healers and tanks to stall out a point. It would be fine with it if it didn’t force premade groups into the 222 composition or prevent them from swapping roles, since it doesn’t actually help them at all. As is it just feels restrictive or like babysitting and I don’t really appreciate it.

I don’t like the 2/2/2 format at all because it means that despite there being more DPS characters than tanks and healers combined, they’ll only make up 33% of any potential team composition. There’s far less room for interesting match friction when 2/3rds of every team are made up of damage mitigation roles.

I’d have liked to see them push towards a design where you didn’t need a second tank or healer (e.g. how TF2 created diminishing returns for multiple Medics due to the prevalence of instant-kill mechanics), but if this is the format they’re going for, then it’d at least be nice to break out of nonstop support roles as someone who doesn’t have a dedicated group to play with.

1 Like