PC gamers, do you often use a controller instead of KB+M?

I have a 360 controller that I occasionally use. I really prefer a good keyboard/mouse control scheme for 90% of my games, but sometimes that doesn’t work out for games. Driving/Sports or games like Hyper Light Drifter need a controller to feel good.

Additionally, I use a keyboard when I can’t properly map keyboard controls. Being in Belgium I’m used to AZERTY - so when a game doesn’t have key mapping I’d either have to do some finger gymnastics or just switch to a controller.

I’m now primarily a PC gamer as a result/extension of XBLA, and having four controllers and a charging station on hand makes it an easy choice. My tv is my monitor, so it’s more comfy than putting a tv table in front of the couch.

I know people swear by KB+M for first person shooters but I kinda hate it. I just think the keyboard is a terrible input device for anything twitch dependent. But this is all probably coloured by the fact that I only recently returned to PC after years of only console so I think I lost that old muscle memory. Also my pc is connected to my TV so using keyboard and mouse on the sofa isn’t ideal.

I used to use KB+M for everything that wasn’t a 3rd-person action game (but I would if they’re a third-person shooter), but anymore I default to a controller for most things except shooters and strategy games.

I find fishing SO much easier with a controller, at the very least.

:crown: GOAT :crown:

Controller all the way, I played almost exclusively on PC until I had a bit of a drought and it was consoles that brought the hobby back.

Once Halo 2 showed me how FPS and MP could work smoothly on a console I was hooked…so that’s just how I prefer to play both 1st & 3rd person games now. Top down or isometric I’ll still reach for a mouse, though.

I’ll almost always use a controller unless it’s a game that really benefits from keyboard and mouse.

Up until about 3 years ago the last time i played a PC game there wasn’t mouselook. It was either keyboard or k & joystick for stuff like Doom or Tie Fighter.

Seriously nothing is better than Brick Elimination in Chinatown.

I pretty much always use a controller at this point, save for the games that are kinda impossible with a controller (Civ, Stellaris, etc).

I even play Overwatch on PC with a controller, much to the surprise of my friends who say I’m going to get slaughtered that way which…

1. I don’t play competitive mode
  2. I’m expecting to die a lot regardless
  3. Its a video game, whatever :V

I used to be a hardline KB/M person on PC games but I’ve honestly come around hugely in the last few years to the controller life. I think movement on a controller is generally smoother and more natural feeling so it provides for a more cinematic experience in singleplayer games.

For a competitive shooter though I have to be on a KB/M or I’ll get roasted. I have friends who play Overwatch on PC and I don’t know how they’re able to keep up with people.

For the most part, I stick to keyboard/mouse. This might be blasphemy, but I got a Steam Link and controller for Christmas a year or two ago and I really enjoy playing games on it. The controller has it’s issues, for sure, but I beat the first Dishonored using just that controller and I had a really good time.

I also sometimes go with the 360 controller when I jumping into games like the Batman Arkham series.

Controller whenever possible, I don’t have full dexterity of my fingers so KB/M is an unwieldy set up in any game that is not turn based.

The only time I’m reaching for the KBaM is for WoW or FPS that requires some amount of twitch reflex. It’s DS4 for everything else.

Some games really feel like they’re built for controllers and playing them any other way is a pain. Especially in an era of smart-buttons, long-press actions, and hold-menus in console versions, if those options are all just bound to keys and the menus are taken out then I can find the keyboard a real pain (even with a few mouse buttons to balance the load). I definitely think the controller mods that re-enable the full controller support for the Mass Effect PC titles are essential.

Shooters using a controller take a very different skill than mouse but I’ve been doing the former since Halo 1 and the latter since Quake 1 but at this point I find both are fine as long as they’re implemented correctly (it’s easier to implement it badly with a controller [you do need to play with curves and the deadzones to get a good feel - I have certainly done tiny tweaks to controller code in projects that have hugely improved the feel so I totally get how something like competent Uncharted 2 controls can be broken by minor tweaks into Uncharted 3 and require them to get fans into the studio to explain how to tweak it back to being good] vs just not using mouse acceleration and leaving a sensitivity slider for me to define).

So, having said it’s very much a game-by-game question, there is also the big divide: mouse and keyboard means I walk or run and can toggle a different speed (sprint or walk modifiers) but a stick means I’ve got analogue movement control for not only speed but also direction. That’s huge and in some games I really want to focus on how fast I’m moving, how much noise I’ll make, and exactly what direction I’m going relative to where I’m looking. In other games, I really want to be able to be precise and quick about where I’m looking and even the best controller configuration (and a generous auto-aim) can’t beat a decent mouse. That compromise means I’ll be on a mouse in any competitive shooter mode (and if I play that mode with the mouse then I’ll play the solo campaign or co-op the same way) because it almost always works out that that is the key factor to competitive shooting.

They’re both great (a 360 pad or DS4 are both not that expensive, neither is a decent gaming mouse like a mid-range Logitech and they’re all so well built to feel good) and a lot of games are totally playable with either. I really wish some more effort went into porting controller design (with limited keys) onto keyboards so we could choose between various efficiency options (short tap vs long press combo of two actions on a single key) and just splitting everything onto a separate key.

Whenever I play an fps, mmo, or rts, I almost exclusively use kb/m. I used a controller for the Borderlands games because the auto-aim was so strong most of the time. Most indie games and any third-person game I use a DS4/XB1 controller for, or else moving around feels terrible.

I wish some console shooters would imitate that feel of control like TimeSplitters 2 does. Move the right stick and you shoot your gun a little off center. Its aiming behaves like the way you move a controller stick.

I pretty much always prefer a controller. If I could play everything with a controller, that would be ideal.

Only if a game specifically recommends I do, so usually just platformers or Dark Souls. Until I was gifted a PS4, I hadn’t played a console since the original XBox because they were super expensive and games for them were too, so I didn’t really know how to work a controller off muscle memory. I still get buttons mixed up sometimes. I still prefer KB+M for a lot of games I play. I find they usually work better for me.