PC Games for Someone Who Has Never Been Able to Play Them

Welp, I built a gaming PC. Not only is this the first time I can play games on PC, it’s also the first time in a few years I’ve been able to play games other than Switch titles. I feel as thought I have…missed a lot.

I’m looking for recommendations because I hardly know where to start. I have downloaded Steam before, but never had any intention of purchasing games because I just simply could not run anything aside from maybe TF2 and Counter Strike (even they ran at 45FPS on my laptop…)

I know this is a very broad question, but if you had never had a gaming PC or current generation console for the last, let’s say, three years, what would you play?

Well, to be honest, I feel like this question might be too broad to answer without better knowledge of your taste. If you’re just looking for games to make the rig sweat I’d recommend titles like Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2, Forza Horizon 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Batman Arkham Knight, Final Fantasy XV as some of the prettiest out there right now. But your time could be just as well spent on 2D Indies that would have run on your laptop anyway. Depends what you’re looking for!

Also maybe check out an old steam summer sale thread.

I’m really trying to get out of my comfort zone since I now have the opportunity to catch games on sale unlike on consoles!

I guess this thread was more of a way to see what other people thought of as “must-plays” from the last few years!

Witcher, Forza, and Deus Ex are all on the list now, thanks!

CIVILIZATION

It’s a surprisingly accessible staple of the turn-based strategy genre that introduces you to the basics of this style of play at a scale that is almost completely unique to the PC. It’s also an extremely pleasant series to spend time with, with beautiful and peaceful ambient sounds and music, excellent narration from Leonard Nemoy or Sean Bean (depending on the game), attractive aesthetics that scale super well, and a nice interface to boot.

This goes for anything from Civ IV through Civ VI, though I would recommend Civ V or VI because the introduction of the hex grid (plus the elimination of ‘tile-stacking’, in which you could place multiple units on the same tile) makes for a more interesting, simple, and legible play experience.

I think Portal is my go-to on this. As someone who only picked up PC gaming relatively recently, Portal (and its sequel, Portal 2) are playable on a console but are still a great experience that will also help you get used to keyboard & mouse if you haven’t used them for aiming before.

Morrowind (my personal fav)/TES/Fallout modding is definitely something I would at least check out, to see if it tickles your fancy.

They’re solid games on consoles, but what keeps people engaged is the mod scene on PC.

I’ll second Forza Horizon 4. It’s an incredible game, looks absolutely beautiful, and playing it has been a joy for the past couple of weeks.

I’ll second Portal/Portal 2 as well. They were basically my introduction to PC gaming and both still hold up really well.

How are you with strategy/tactics games? If you think you might like them, I’d heavily recommend XCOM 2 (with War of the Chosen if you can swing it). This rec gets even stronger if you enjoy role-playing mechanics in games, because the randomized characters and all the possible customization makes it a really great game for that if you want it to be.

DOOM (2016) is the best playing shooter in years and it runs like a dream on basically everything but especially on PC. It goes on sale very often and for very cheap for what you’re getting.

This is also a good opportunity to get into CRPGs! The Pillars of Eternity games, the Divinity Original Sin games, and Shadowruns Dragonfall or Hong Kong are modern sure bets in that space. If you want to go back the genre’s history Neverwinter Nights II, Planescape Torment, and the Baldur’s Gate series all hold up fairly well and are readily available on both GOG and Steam.

Grab the current month of Humble Monthly. You get Hitman and Hollow Knight which are both amazing plus you get more games at the end of the month on top of that you also get access to the Trove which has a lot of drm free games you can download including Torchlight 2 and Soma.

Stellaris, Endless Legend, and Civilization V all made the effort and cost I put into building a PC totally worth it for me. If you’re not a 4X or strategy type of person, Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light are the first great shooters that come to mind that really push a PC to its limits and look unbelievably good on there compared to consoles, and are often sold together as a bundle for like 10 or 15 bucks.

Also don’t sleep on GOG, Itch, Humble or the Microsoft Store as other alternatives to Steam! There’s sales all over the place if you look around. I actually prefer buying from Humble just on principle, and often because they have solid discounts that get overlooked since you only hear about their bundle offerings.

The Homeworld series. You can find them on GOG. Atmospheric, lore-rich (but not dense!) space RTS games.
Subnautica. Survival crafting shovelware is abundant, but there is one game that did it far better than anyone else, and that’s Subnautica. The Long Dark is a distant second, imo.
If you want indie fare with great audio and lots of flair, there’s FTL, Into the Breach, Celeste, Undertale, Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Papers, Please, Cave Story+, Monolith, and La-Mulana 1 and 2. But most of these are available on other platforms.
Warframe could entertain me for the rest of my life, but like any MMO, you need a group to get involved with.
Nier Automata is worthwhile, but demands patience, as the first 10-15 hours will be spent playing through what it at first suggests to be the entire game twice in order to get to the last third of the game.
Kerbal Space Program is a toybox that I may never uninstall. Also a good learning tool for understanding orbital mechanics! Almost any sc-fi I consume in any media get me in a mood to fire up Kerbal.
XCOM and XCOM2 and their respective expansions. I’d recommend the original 1994 game, but its age puts some people off.

Hope this helps.

So if you’ve missed out entirely on console and PC games from this gen I have some general recommendations that cover the gamut:

Nier: Automata
Dishonored 2
Heat Signature
PUBG (might as well, right?)
Resident Evil 7
The Danganronpa series
Kerbal Space Program
The Witness
Hitman
SUPERHOT
Gunpoint
Devil Daggers
FTL
Phantom Pain

I’d recommend keeping an eye on Humble Store/Green Man Gaming/GOG, Itch.o, etc. as you can often find pretty steep discounts, which, for me personally, encourages me to take chances on stuff outside my comfort zone. Also if you’re completely unfamiliar with MMOs, WoW/Final Fantasy XIV are easy recommends. If you’re interested in getting into competitive shooters, Overwatch is a relatively friendly introduction, and Titanfall 2 is still a tremendous game, though it might be a bit difficult to jump into right now since anyone still playing that game is probably real good at it.

WOW! Lot’s of stuff that completely fell off my radar that is getting put right on my wish-list! Thanks everyone!

First thing I did was subscribe to the monthly Humble Bundle!

I would consider picking up a Total War game, if you’re into Warhammer then they have that. But if you’re a history buff im sure there’s an era you’ll enjoy. I personally love Shogun 2 and Medieval 2.

But in all seriousness I think you’d be good looking at whats on sale at GOG or Humble and going from there, you have a lot you can dive into

you could give world of warcraft a go, u can play to level 20 for free and even though its not really enough to know if ull love it its prob enough to see if u hate it. its good game for relaxing and if you dont even need to go into dungions n stuff to get through it if you just like running around

also FF14, which i think is alot better then wow personally, will let you play up to i think level 30. its much better at teaching you the game and has more challenges as you go to apply that knowledge. to the point where after a year playing final fantasy i was able to pick wow back up and be better at that then i was before

Also, don’t forget the giveaways and PSA thread. Skim that for any free codes you’re interested in.

Discord Nitro has also just been released, $10 a month for access to 60 games. Some pretty good stuff is in there, especially if you haven’t been building up a collection of discounted PC games already.

There are quite a few older games on Steam and GOG that I would recommend if you’ve never had a gaming PC before.

Thief Gold and Thief 2: The Metal Age are some of my favorite games of all time. I played through them again earlier this year, and they hold up really well mechanically.

I would also recommend checking out the classic LucasArts adventure games. My favorites are Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.

You can usually pick these games up for super cheap during sales too!

Free games that I highly recommend:

• OFF (RPG)

• Fistful of Frags (FPS)

• Doki Doki Literature Club (VN)

• Emily is Away (VN)

• Sorry, Babe, It Just Ain’t Your Story (VN)

• Dwarf Fortress

• NetHack (RPG)

• FreeCol (Tactics)

• 0 AD (RTS)

• Daggerfall (RPG)

Online, but free:

• Path of Exile
  • Tribes 2