Petition to the Canadian Minister of Justice to regulate loot boxes

It turns out the process of getting a petition presented in the House of Commons and getting a government response is actually quite feasible.

I need more supporters for the petition. Becoming a supporter entails sharing your first and last names and email address so that I can provide them when I submit the petition to an MP for sponsorship. You will be emailed asking you to provide further information for validation. Supporters must be citizens or residents of Canada, but there is no minimum age.

I need 5 but preferably 10 supporters to advance the petition to the next stage where, with the sponsorship of an MP, it will be posted on the e-petitions site for signature by the public. It will have 120 days to collect the 500 signatures required to have it presented in the House of Commons.

Anyway, here’s the text of the petition.

PETITION TO THE MINISTER OF JUSTICE
Wheras:
• Increasingly video games feature loot boxes, a consumable virtual item which can be redeemed to provide a random selection of further virtual items.
• Loot boxes may often be purchased using real currency.
• Loot boxes are a form of gambling that is currently unregulated.
• The current industry body responsible for self-regulating video game content, the ESRB, is not adequately equipped to protect children from exposure to gambling practices.
• Current laws do not address the intentional exposure of gambling to children found in video games.
• Other countries have put in place regulation on loot boxes, such as Japan which banned the practice of having a predetermined set of items gained from loot boxes which would combine once complete to form a rarer and thus more valuable item, and China which requires online game publishers to publicly release the draw probability of all virtual items and services.

We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of Justice to regulate gambling practices in video games, such as loot boxes, to (a) protect children from being exposed to, and encouraged to participate in, gambling; (b) protect consumers from being pressured to participate in gambling in video games; ( c) require the disclosure of draw probabilities of all virtual items and services obtainable from loot boxes.

So if you’d like to be a supporter please DM me your first and last names and email address!

The English major inside me burns…
Typo at the top, *Whereas.

I’ll send you my info later on!

Oh dear.

At least the form to create the petition has been idiot-proofed to prevent this typo, rest assured!

Hi,

When ever I try to DM you my info it says that your account can’t get personal messages.