Photography thread (Image Intensive)

Last one is very striking. It looks like Hong Kong is abandoned.

Thank you! It’s one of my favourites.

I’m still focusing mainly on analogue photography, largely because I find it less overwhelming. I guess it’s one of those situations where restrictions are paradoxically freeing. I can only take so many pictures at a time, and I have to wait until they’re developed before I can review them, so by the time they’re ready I’m excited to see how they can out, rather than immediately swamped in hundreds of variations of more-or-less the same thing that I just saw in real life.

That said, I did catch a spectacularly red sky the other evening on digital:

[Flickr]

[Flickr]

I was going to try to capture it on film, but I had none loaded and nothing really suitable to hand. Besides, last time I tried to capture something similar on film it came out looking like this:

My favourite recent film shot is this one:

And finally, one from when I had nothing but my phone to capture it with:

(Probably a bit skew-whiff, as usual.)

3 Likes

Thanks for this thread! In my final two years of high school and as a freshmen in college, I was got soooo into photography, yet I only ever managed to save up the money for a Canon PowerShot A620.

These shots are from that time when I was really trying to be thoughtful about composition and creating interesting moments. I remember reading DPReview religiously and lusting after all the DSLR cameras I would never own,. My interest trailed off eventually—probably because I thought I needed expensive gear to make the anything worthwhile.

4 Likes

Facebook memories brought up an old album today that I don’t remember creating. It had a lot of pictures of dubious quality (both in composition and resolution) from when I first moved to Seattle circa 2006. So please bear with me as I plunge down memory lane. I’m on the second anniversary of moving away from my old home and I miss it quite a bit.

This one is from the Hiram Chittendom locks in Seattle, in the Ballard neighborhood. I took this, I believe, while showing some family around the city. I think it was with an old Olympus point and shoot, then imported onto my Blackberry (!) then uploaded to FB through the BB FB app. I think that’s why it’s so grainy. Either way, I like the way it looks. It’s not expertly composed by any stretch but I think I was able to capture the scale of the bridge. I also like that the sun is only visible through the reflection.

Anyway this picture is interesting to me because this was a place I liked to take visitors from out of town (it’s a functional lock with lots of neat boats and a beautiful park, also there’s a salmon ladder!) in my early time in Seattle but later became much more important. After my first daughter was born we moved to the neighborhood just south and up the hill from the locks. There was a lovely trail that cut through a watershed, over the rail road, and through a clump of houses down to the locks.

My wife worked nights for the first couple years that we lived there and I took my daughter on walks down to the locks a couple nights of week. Usually we arrived right around sunset and would hike back so we could make it back before dark. This photo captures a location that began as a tourist destination and ended as the bedrock of some of my favorite memories. The poor resolution, the muted colors, the dark edges make me feel like I’ve pulled a memory out of my mind and stuck it on the screen.

After looking through this album I looked through a couple others. This is from a scavenger hunt with my oldest daughter. We wrote out a list of things we might find in Discovery Park (Seattle’s largest park and a national treasure IMO) and set out to see what we could find. We ended our little adventure up on the bluffs overlooking the Puget Sound. Just to the right out of frame are some picnic tables where we ate as a family more times than I can count. Every times my daughter would climb up on the wall and carefully walk its length.

I love this picture. I feel like it perfectly captures her curiosity and bravery as well as the wonderful winter colors and atmosphere of the park.

In the late summer of 2014 meteorologists predicted the Northern Lights would be visible in northern Washington and many parts of the Pacific NW. My wife and I have always wanted to see the lights so we found an amazing, weird, beautiful lodge up in the mountains and made our way north Friday after work.

We arrived well after dark, making frequent stops to see the lights. No luck.

Around nine PM we found the little lodge (really, just three cabins on a private plot of land) and decided we needed more elevation. With our two-year old in tow we made our way up to Artist’s Peak in the dead of night.

We were not alone. There were probably two hundred people up with us, looking for the lights. Despite the crowd it was quiet. Nobody spoke much louder than a whisper. A long string of flashlight-wielding hikers led further up the peak but we stuck near the bottom. The air was cold, but we couldn’t see our breath. The brilliant moon and straggling clouds created an ethereal atmosphere. So we sat, happily, waiting for the lights.

The lights never showed. Thankfully the moon was magnificent and lit Mount Baker well enough to take this picture. It isn’t a perfect photo but considering I only had my stock 35MM lens and a tripod I think it turned out OK.

This view greeted us in the morning.

Washington is really so beautiful.

1 Like

Some superb shots in this thread.

I’ve gotten into photography as a hobby over the last year or so. I splurged on a Fuji X-E3 in January have gotten a lot of fun out of it. I’m really trying to focus on making my shots more interesting and less samey at the minute.

One of my recent favourites, taken on Burrow Mump in Somerset in the UK.

I took this in the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge.

2 Likes

oh hey i shoot film too!

i’ve not been shooting for very long, i think i’ve had like, 5 rolls of film developed and 2 i accidentally murdered. I started with a lomography diana mini which is… fine? its pretty unpredictable so it’s like… equal parts fun and frustrating to shoot on, hah
couple shots on that:

also picked up a konica c35 efp for super super cheap. its fixed-focus and still very simple but im finding it much less of a crapshoot, even as someone who cant rly read light very well yet. i’m sure i’ll go back to the diana once i have a better idea of What The Hell I’m Doing but i dunno if it’s great for me to try and learn on u know?

some konica shotssssss

i also got a pentax espio 120sw recently which im currently scared to put any film through because despite being mostly automatic it has More Settings than either of my other two so im intimidated, lmao

2 Likes

I’ve been shooting film for a little over a year, but both of my main analogue cameras have built-in metering, so I’m still a dumb baby who doesn’t know how to read light. I did go to some effort to internalise Sunny 16, but that seems to give wildly different results than the light meters do, so I don’t know if it’s just riddled with caveats or if the environmental conditions are just different here or what. I suppose it’s possible that the exposure latitude would be wide enough that I could get away with Sunny 16, but I haven’t had the confidence to try that yet.

When moving out of my flat I did, to my astonishment, dig out a crappy point-and-shoot that I had no recollection of ever having owned, let alone having taken with me when I moved out of my childhood home. It even had a partially exposed roll in it, which I completed but have not yet had developed. I’ll be curious to see if that comes out at all, and if so, what’s on it. Anyway, that thing has no controls whatsoever, so I’ve just been snapping away in daylight and hoping for the best. It looks like my mum bought it for me for some sort of trip I went on in 1994. It cost £7. I’m hoping the pictures it takes will have some sort of lo-fi charm to them, but they might just be crappy in a really boring way.

Today I was reminded of a little series of photos I took before Christmas. I was working late, and the lightbulb had gone in the gents, so I had to use my phone’s flashlight. I noticed that if I pointed it down into the sink, it made for some nice shadows and neat interplay between light and dark. Here’s a couple, with links to the whole lot below:

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

I guess it’s not too far off from the light-from-beneath-to-make-things-look-eerie thing, but it was a fun experiment to finish off the roll on. On the one hand, it’s kind of silly and maybe a bit weird to be taking pictures of a sink, but on the other, I like how minimal it is. The blank spaces and gentle gradients bring the texture of the film grain to the fore, I think, in a way that I really enjoy.

I reckon I ought to do more deliberate experimentation with things like light and reflections and refractions and so on.

2 Likes

Having previously spoken quite highly of 500px, it bears mentioning that they are removing/have removed their Creative Commons images with basically no notice at all. I enjoyed how much response even I could get, mediocre and non-self-promoting as I am, but this doesn’t bode well for the direction the new management are taking things, and is pretty shitty in itself.

Quick equipment plug: lens adaptors (grab ones which route the electronic signals if you’re planning to use them with autofocus lenses/electronic aperture control - they should only cost a few dollars even for the nicer ones that do this) are a great investment if you’re planing to ever do some macro shooting. You probably already have a prime or sometime similar that’s extremely suitable if given a bit of a spacer in front of the sensor with an extension tube.

Of course, finding some patient subjects who aren’t jumping in and out of frame (and through the focus on this, as I was trying out my manual focus skills) is a bit trickier.

1 Like

If you’re on an even tighter budget, and are willing to make do without the electronics, lens reversing rings cost basically nothing, as they’re little more than a piece of plastic. Using one involves exposing the rear element of the lens, so you’re probably better off only using it with your cheapest lenses, though you can get another adapter that adds filter threading to the back of the lens, so you can add a cheap filter for a bit of protection. For me, I used the nifty 50 f/1.8 that I’d since replaced with an f/1.4 in my normal usage, so I wasn’t too worried about it. It’s definitely a very manual experience: no autofocus, and you may have to do some trickery to get the aperture how you want it (with Canons you have to attach the lens normally, set the aperture, and hold the depth of field preview button while you remove the lens), but it’s a great way to try out macro photography with minimal investment. If you enjoy it, you can invest more in better equipment like extension tubes and macro lenses.

Excited to discover this thread! Hope it’s okay to bump it. I did a lot of photography over the holiday break and was really excited about a few of the shots I got. I’m an amateur/enthusiast and am trying to get better at creating interesting compositions.

This is my brother-in-law’s beautiful cat Suki. I’ve taken probably thousands of photos of her and this one is my favorite. I love the way the light beam draws your eye to her and the way the wooden cabinet offsets frames her against the white wall.

I love how many lines there are in this photo, with the leather headrests running vertically and the metal supports running horizontally.

I’m a little unsure about this one. On the one hand I love how understated and minimal it is, and how the dark background accentuates the interesting shadow. On the other hand, it’s kind of boring and plain? Would love feedback if anyone has.

This may be my favorite photo I’ve ever taken. These are Christmas lights hanging on a fence outside my apartment. For the whole month of December I was trying to figure out how to photograph them, and one day I had the idea to shoot them as a bokeh rainbow through my apartment window. The texture it made was a wonderful surprise.

3 Likes

Suki is my favorite of the set! The bit of reflection in her eyes make her pupils look like lightning bolts :slight_smile: She’s posed just perfectly and I like the framing with the wall and cabinet a lot.

What do you shoot with? The lights/fence bokeh came out really neat.

1 Like

Those are some nice pictures! I really like the headrests one. I also like the shadow one - I’m quite fond of moody, almost abstract stuff like that. I guess perhaps I would have positioned the camera at a bit more of an oblique angle to the back of the sofa to try to make it a little more dynamic, though I don’t know whether that would be an improvement or not.

Anyway, great photos, keep it up!

This summer I took one of my favourite pictures I’ve ever taken:

Perhaps it’s just me, but everything just came out so nicely. The baby actually looking into the camera, the natural window light, the texture of the sweater, the texture of the film, how the mother’s fingers are slightly out-of-focus, everything. I don’t mean to sing my own praises - all these qualities were a total fluke. I think the framing works quite well, though, and I can take some credit for that.

Anyway, people don’t seem to like it noticeably more than my other pictures, so I suspect this is just a matter of my personal tastes.

1 Like

I love taking pictures, though my equipment is a Note 5 phone. Often consider getting an actual camera some point, though big purchases are usually co-opted by video games :).

This little guy was waiting with me at Disney World while my family was in a store.

A few more I love looking at:

I never even noticed the lightning bolts but I love that!

I shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIII. It’s a micro 4/3 camera which for me means it’s small enough to carry everywhere and not be a pain, but still takes plenty good enough photos to post online. I’ve had it for a little over a year and am extremely pleased with it so far. I shot the lights bokeh with a 40-150mm (which is 80-300mm equivalent) tele zoom although I don’t remember the focal length of that particular shot.

Wow…Lovely pics…
Thanks for sharing…Now this is my dp.

I went whale watching yesterday. One of the baby humpbacks was having fun breaching

DSC_0280.1

Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9DQH2

5 Likes