Play ‘Borderlands 3’ With Your Sound and Brain Turned Off

Somewhere on the planet Eden-6, I met a talking teddy bear named Balex. He used to be an AI navigation system, until he’d been trapped in the toy by his girlfriend, an AI weapons system, after they had a fight. He loves to call his ex-girlfriend a bitch. Balex repeats the word so often, Ice-T begins to sound uncomfortable saying it. I found a mech where I could transfer Balex and did so, by stuffing the teddy bear into the mech’s crotch. The Pink Ice-T bear hung like a codpiece. It was hard not to stare, a fact my character decided to comment on. The joke wasn’t funny and listening to my character lampshade the visual made it worse. Like Ice-T saying “bitch” until the word lost meaning, Borderlands 3 beat me over the head with its jokes, begging me to laugh.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvg3nb/borderlands-3-review-its-writing-really-is-that-annoying
2 Likes

My friends and I got to the Tiny Tina section last night. That should have been a slam dunk to show how the character had grown and didn’t need to hide their trauma behind an eccentric personality, but they’re just the exact same character from 2 but with less snappy writing.

On that same token, we got an in-game message from Torgue who was doing the same “macho personality juxtaposed with hokey attempts at progressiveness” routine that they were doing in The Pre-Sequel. This is the type of gag that the Yakuza games totally nail with their sidequests, and the Borderlands series is now two for two on bungling the execution.

3 Likes

“pretend this random gun generator doesn’t have any text or characters or plot” seems like hugely diminishing returns for a 60 dollar game

i would argue that this has always been the heart of borderlands

5 Likes

“Billions of guns!”

It’s like five guns with different numbers, Randy calm down

4 Likes

As far as this particular type of game (with exceptions), there’s only really Borderlands and Destiny, and the latter has very different goals as far as narrative and macro-level structure.

This series is, at worst, obnoxious and fails to resonate in any of its storytelling. As Chris Franklin put it, it’s a little too easy to excuse every other part of a game being a misfire when the game feel is “good”, but I do genuinely really like the moment-to-moment play of Borderlands 3.

1 Like

Does anyone have a good solo build for BL3? I always find these games are tuned for people with friends.

Is the humor in BL3 worse than the second game, where a horny(?!) black woman (?!?) inhabits the body of a 13-year-old white girl?

1 Like

Reading this post makes me so happy I never engaged meaningfully with any part of the entire Borderlands franchise. Good grief.

The worst part about Tiny Tina for me is that Anthony Burch got his sister to play the character because he wrote Tina exactly how she saw his sister and she was somehow not offended at all upon seeing the script.

I’m still amazed they managed to tone her down to tolerable and with some human depth in her DLC campaign but since Burch doesn’t seem to be involved anymore, I don’t have high hopes for BL3’s use of her.

I’m playing as Mose, if you level her up, she can be quite quick in movement and then call in a mech of which you can choose to equip three different guns to each arm. She seems fine for soloing. I’ve heard Flak is pretty good as he gets an animal buddy who you can wreck around with.

Fully agree with this article. As soon as the Chris Hardwick character started speaking early on in the game I turned down the sound and started listening to podcasts/youtube film essays. To be honest, I like playing games like this. The podcast activates my brain, the game is just busy work.

To be honest BL3 has grown on me since the early hours - which are slow and boring. It isn’t until you are starting to find the better weapons and unlocking the character perks that all the combat becomes a lot more hectic and satisfying. I like the variation in enemies that compliments the large arsenal, I like the different environments and I like how the game usually rewards you for exploration of these places.

There’s more verticality to this game and most of the weapon crates are hidden away in these places. Even if there isn’t there’s usually a couple of boxes that reward you money, like how in the 3D mario games they tuck away invisible coins to collect just to validate the player for reaching a place the game didn’t really need you to go. The game has felt a little linear in places, less open and more defined by corridors funnelling you forward with a handful of diversions off the beaten track.

For the level it opens up it’s world and has so many characters - like it’s remarkable how many actual kick ass female characters it has at it’s centre. It’s a shame, because the first two games did have moments that were well thought out and even delivered pathos to some of the characters. I remember the expansion to the first game, had you against General Knox, who was this old tired military type, didn’t really hate you - was just doing a job and feeling old and tired.

1 Like

There’s a bucketload of solo builds. Every character is viable. I am playing a Brawler build on Amara. Basically I just shock and punch and shock-punch everyone to death. It’s good fun all around.