[Play By Post] A Quiet-ish Year for a Whole Year

loving the addition and the synergy of this group generally. me on the inside

3 Likes

Turn 6 - @shokster826

30th March to 4th April

(my bad about the delay starting, hope you’ll still have enough time :sweat_smile: )

You draw the 8 of Spring :heart:

What’s the most beautiful thing in the region?

OR

What’s the most solitary thing in the region?

Pick one of these for your turn and answer it.
After that, you can act a plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Host a meal
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

No worries, I don’t think I would have been able to check on Monday anyways. Working on it now, hopefully it’ll be fit to post tomorrow.

2 Likes

What’s the most solitary thing in the region?

It seems unfair that I am the only one who remembers the northern bridge, or rather, what it was like when it was whole. Even for me, it has become difficult to relate these dilapidated stone ruins to the old twin towns that once stood at either end.

The bridge had been built over decades, the result of an effort to connect the two towns that were separated by a fjord. Each town constructed half of the bridge, beginning on their own side and building towards the middle. Every decade or so, worries over the alignment of the two ends would resurface, which could halt work for months while the plans were checked. When the two sides finally met, the western end was a few feet higher than the eastern one.

The towns became siblings, and the bonds between the twin towns and their people that grew across the bridge would only become stronger with time. It was almost as if they were two halves of the same town that had been split by some act of god in the distant past.

In the ages since the collapse, there have been a number of failed attempts to rebuild the bridge, all borne from a desire to reunite the twins and return things to their rightful state. Neither town recovered from the loss, and now both lay abandoned.

It has been a long while since I visited the town to the east of the bridge, but I imagine it is much the same as the one to the west. It had once been full of life; at any hour you might have found a trader arriving from the other town, or a young person sneaking across to visit their lover, or someone simply leaving for a walk to enjoy the view, all the while with people going about their daily lives. Now it only feels incredibly lonely.

6 Likes

For Step 2, I want to act on @Homemade_Pizza’s plan to host a meal, for Lucia, Felix and Autumn at the lighthouse. If we’re comfortable doing a short flash forward, I like the idea of this being when Autumn is old enough to be running around.

This is the family’s first time visiting the lighthouse. While the main purpose of the visit (aside from dinner) is to go over some of the transcripts that Lucia has made, it’s also been a while since someone as young as Autumn has visited the lighthouse. The young family makes the old building feel vibrant again.

I will not cross host a meal off the list of plans and routines.

For Step 3, I want to take the action Open Your Senses as we are sending off Lucia’s family after eating dinner and finishing our work.

Here’s what the book says for Open Your Senses:

First, briefly say where you go and what’s happening there. Then, each other player describes something the narrator senses. Think of the main five senses, as well as any others that make sense. Each response should be brief—only 1-2 sentences.

5 Likes

My bad for not flagging this when it was posted last week, but each of us takes part here. Just a very brief line or two describing what’s happening from shokster’s set up. Any order is fine, just take your go when you’re ready.

@Forrest, @Homemade_Pizza, @Jkim, @NotThePars, @Wazanator, @epigraph and @aluketothepast

I’ll take my go…

The wind whips at us harshly, it’s bitter cold and the waves on the cliff below are deafening. Stepping outside the lighthouse is always like this, but I appreciate the stark contrast to the sheltered indoors.

7 Likes

Here’s my Open Your Senses response:

As the air shifts directions, so do the smells it brings: salt from the sea, of course, and earth, iron and, even wafts of improbably delicate grasses reach me on the blasting winds.

6 Likes

taking a last look back it once again comes to mind how short and ultimately fleeting these moments of community and joy are in the face of the desolate world we live in

6 Likes

The harsh cries of the seagulls as they circle above the lighthouse are a welcome reminder that despite our solitude, we aren’t alone.

6 Likes

Time could be kept by the turning of the aged beacon atop the lighthouse as it turned to and fro in it’s slow arc toward the heaving sea. That same force had turned the glow from bright white to a burnished orange that reflected back from the water a season of colors dancing in Autumn’s delighted eyes; a simple joy the lighthouse’s sole occupancy had nearly forgotten existed.

(Edit: my bad too! When the fiction turned to the rules text, I tuned out, assuming the rest of it was addressed to SuperBiasedMan. I’ll take care to be more vigilant.)

6 Likes

Inside delicious smells of a well cooked meal drift through the air of the snug lighthouse as all gather around the table. Fresh fish from the ocean seasoned well with spices imported from lands not unknown but never seen by those assembled at the table are accompanied with some roasted potatoes and a fresh salad from the garden.

6 Likes

As the family walks away, the narrator hears the couple sing a soft lullaby slightly out of key as Autumn falls asleep in Felix’s arms.

(Deleted a prior response of mine, I didn’t feel like it was in keeping with the sensory prompt.)

6 Likes

The lighthouse creaks as the wind ebbs, and the sound of waves glues the world together.

6 Likes

And with that we start…

Turn 7 - @Wazanator

9th April to 15th April

You draw the Ace of Spring :heart:

Who is the most respected person here? Who are they teaching?

OR

What is this region famous for? Do people come from elsewhere for it?

Pick one of these for your turn and answer it.
After that, you can act a plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Host a meal
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

1 Like

Also when I was DMing Wazanator, he was asking about when to change seasons. So I’ll just re-post my answer here because it’s an unclear aspect of the game.

For full context, a normal game of Quiet Year (which Twilight Song is based on) just has the full seasons play out in order.

Twilight Song is a twist on that because you can advance seasons at will, and when you move past Winter you actually just go back to Spring again, with some time passing. You’ll still play all the cards, so we’ll eventually come back to everything from Spring that hasn’t been drawn yet.

So the answer to when is best to advance is, when you feel like shifting the setting a little bit and advancing time. It doesn’t affect the total length of the game at all.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask here or DM if you have a follow up question!

3 Likes

Many not from the island have never heard of our home and those that have do not often have interest in it. In a way that is to be expected given the state of the world. Our island isn’t famous for rare resources, entertainment value, political power, or even it’s history in the world. We’ve had a few notable artists and scholars but none gained such a following as to end up in anything outside of a zine.

What our island is famous for though is the local wildlife and how they are just a slightly different shade then what is seen elsewhere. A bluejay is just slightly brighter in color and black cats are never pitch black instead only ever reaching a black grey shade. For many animals it’s never enough though that you would tell from just looking at them, it’s only noticeable when a picture of one is compared to another not from the island. No one is sure why this is and while science could probably explain it there are considerably bigger issues in the world then trying to figure out why a deers coat is just slightly consistently a darker brown then what is considered normal.

I’m not going to act on a plan/routine but I will take an action from the book.

Listen to People

Instead of simply experiencing the world, the narrator
can ask a question and receive answers. If you choose
this, then say what question you ask. Each other player
chooses or creates a character to answer it and gives a
short answer from their point of view.

The question for everyone is “What are your hobbies?”

2 Likes

Our parents explicitly forbid us to venture into the uninhabited areas of the mall. Naturally, me and my friends all love to spelunk into there, seeking out remnants of the old days and guessing at what they were used for, and why they were valued.

Just tagging the others to post their responses @Forrest, @Homemade_Pizza, @Jkim, @NotThePars, @shokster826, @epigraph and @aluketothepast

5 Likes

This is speaking in a character’s voice, but not necessarily one we’ve “met” so far? I think I’m unsure whether this is sort of flavoring the world versus setting up a character to really be an actor in it. Maybe it’s starting with the former but a player could later build on it into the latter?

3 Likes

There’s an oddness to being the barkeep to a remnant of a once larger community. The good is you get to know people but the thing with that is it’s easy to lose track of yourself in the flood of stories. That’s why I spend every night building ships in a bottle to center myself after the long days

4 Likes

My partner keeps joking that home brewing can’t be a hobby, it’s just an excuse to drink, but for me it’s really about slowly experimenting, measuring, and waiting to see what happens with each batch.

5 Likes