[Play By Post] A Quiet-ish Year for a Whole Year

“I love finding new spots on the island to draw. Sometimes the morning after a bonfire I’ll take a piece of charcoal and draw what’s around me in a notebook or the back of a flyer.”

8 Likes

Khalid helps run a toolshed co-operative. They are lean, sun-dark, and of an indeterminate age, with a slow smile and a quick wit.

“I work with my hands, you know. I’m only really still when they are busy, if you understand that? So when things are quiet at the shed, I take my bike out and go hunting for parts. There’s too much stuff that people discard that only needs a little work to make right, or a little creativity to make into something new. I put things back together, and and leave them where people who need them can find them.”

7 Likes

Just to clarify, yes it could be an old or new character. A character can be just throwaway too. It is mostly to flavour the world.

I just invented kids playing in the mall, who may never come up again, unless someone wants to re-use them at a later point. So don’t worry too much about defining them.

2 Likes

“I guess I love climbing trees? I wouldn’t necessarily call it a hobby, it’s more of a compulsion, but it’s what I enjoy spending my time doing. You can see some great stuff from up there too.”

7 Likes

I’ve always liked skipping stones ever since I was a little boy. That may have something to do with my father assuring me that it was possible to get the throw just right that it would skip forever and reach the other end of the sea.

I don’t think I believe him anymore but I still relish an opportunity to get down there and see if I can skip a stone for so long that I lose sight of it. Maybe one day I’ll come down and see a stone bouncing towards me?

7 Likes

On a nice, cool day, when the sun is high, I get my dad’s old fishing gear out and head down to the water. Most days I don’t catch anything, but I’m fine with that. Never really got to know my dad too well, but I feel closer to him when I’m out there.

5 Likes

And with that we start…

Turn 8 - @epigraph

18th April to 25th April

You draw the Queen of Summer :diamonds:

Something forces you to postpone a Plan.
Choose one: you cannot act on it until a generation passes.

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.

After that, you can act on another plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

As a reminder the routines are:

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Host a meal
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

Part 1:

Scribes save us from the temperament of Artists!

I wrote these words when I heard the news, and while I temper them now with mirth, I admit to some initial frustration and am therefore honor bound to leave them upon this page. It seems too many curious onlookers had made their way to see what Grenth Umbral has been doing on the lonely mountain, and some of them turned their curiosity into a party which inadvertently trampled some particularly delicate seedlings. This in turn led to a non-stop stream of complains down the mountain. Which then led to a council of concerned citizens, letter writing campaigns, some impressive posters and now a law declaring the art piece off limits to all onlookers, with provisions for similar restrictions on new cultural works.

With regret, it seems I must postpone my plan to Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece for at least a generation to pass, and laws and the heat of the moment to be forgotten.

4 Likes

Part 2

Routine, Send a Letter to a Stranger

I am siezed by a fit of whimsy, perhaps brought on by the simple frustration of being unable to carry out a plan that had seemed so close at hand, or perhaps driven my recent rumination on how much has been lost, is still being lost as each hour, day and breath passes.

I write a letter to a ghost.

Sitting beneath a tree within earshot of the hawkers that busy themselves in the nearby market: I recall a tale of a sailor, forever walking the unseen city, waiting for a ship that will never return. They spent too long ashore, cursing their lot, and it is said devil took their curses and built them into a doppelganger that took the sailors’ place in the crew. No other ship would take them once word got out, and so the sailor remained ashore; bound by their equal regret and love for the sea now denied them.

To this sailor I pen a letter, filled with the ordinary particulars of my day, and peppered with questions. What have they done with their immortality? What do they remember that none others would? What songs would they sing, given the chance? I finish with a sincere wish for their happiness, and enclose a picture I once painted of a passing ship.

It’s seems like a sorrowful thing to do, but instead, I am filled with renewed hope. I have done an impossible thing.

I find a non-existent address, and hand the letter to a courier, dressed in bright colors, on an old bicycle whose electric motor still hums in the way only well loved machinery can, and head to the market for a meal and to hear the local news.

Part 3: Action

Learn Something

Near the Old Cathedral in the Southeast island rest the ancient machines that once created the weather. They still mutter and spark from time to time, and those that remember that the still exist blame them for all manner of minor calamity. A festival still occurs here, after the first rains, as celebrants board ships to the SE island en masse. Part religious, part intentional community, part bacchanal, the festival lasts three days, and concludes with a hymn that the eldest attendee adds a single line to each year.

The machines don’t mind.

Mood: Old

5 Likes

So with that, we’re starting turn 9.
@aluketothepast, do you want a card from Summer or Autumn?

Let’s do Summer!

1 Like

Turn 9 - @aluketothepast

25th April to 2nd of May

You draw the 8 of Summer :diamonds:

You stay awake all night. What do you see or hear that you would otherwise have missed?

OR

You daydream. What about? What stirs you from your reverie?

After that, you can act on a plan/routine if you wish.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece (postponed until Autumn)
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.

Routines

Host a meal
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

You stay awake all night. What do you see or hear that you would otherwise have missed?

I often leave the window open at night. Listening to the winds that sail through the air harmonize with the waves rolling onto shore is a ritual I’ve always been able to take pleasure in. Perhaps it’s because nature constantly demands this symphony that I notice quite acutely when it is interrupted.
Sometimes it’s the distant splash of a loose cliff face hitting the sea’s surface. Often it is the distant revelry of a small, yet essential celebration. On occasion it has been a knock at my door and kind face wanting temporary solace from the cold. This time, it is a sharp cooing.
I know immediately that it is an owl, their biting screeches would be etched into the minds of anyone alive as long as I’ve been. My thoughts at first go about trying to identify which species this cry belongs to, but is after a moment that I realize something more crucial: I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard the sound of an owl.
They were never declared extinct by any official body, but only because there simply isn’t the infrastructure in place to support one. And even if there was, I suspect the task of identifying all the species of animal and flora we’ve lost would be too morbid for someone to undertake in a time like this. So there never was a moment when I knew that owls had vanished, but their immediate existence slowly faded away from my consciousness.
But now, sitting up in bed and staring out the open window, I catch a glimpse of its majestic, white wingspan and remember its shrill voice, as the owl joins the harmony I let into my room at night.

I will pass on doing a routine, and for my action I will Make a Plan: engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.

4 Likes

Turn 10 - @SuperBiasedMan

2nd to 9th of May

You draw the 6 of Summer :diamonds:

Someone moves to a remote part of the region. Where, and why? Make a Plan to visit them later on.

OR

A whole group of people leaves the region. Who and why? What happens to the place they once lived in?

Plans

Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent

Routines

Host a meal
Count something
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

1 Like

It was a hot day, one of those days where the heat invades every thought. Lots have speculated on if this is why they chose to emerge this day, but no-one has tried to simply ask. A stone person emerged from the great chasm in the northwest, conveniently close to my lighthouse. They came out and quickly set to building something. It was easy to spot because they are a fast and noisy builder, on the first day it was clear they were making something ambitious. It quickly shot up in scale, but since then the builder has been endlessly swapping out a stone for another. Presumably working closer and closer towards their initial goal.

However I have no love for endless speculation. I shall go visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.

While sitting out on the balcony to watch the Builder work, I did make another peculiar discovery.

The moon has an echo. As it moves through the sky, there’s a shadow body that follows the moon exactly. A lingering glow, something ethereal? I verified that it was no mere trick of the light, there is something there. However my equipment is insufficient to allow me study it in any great detail. For now, purely a curiosity.

1 Like

Apologies for the delay with my turn, this would take us on to @Forrest for turn 11. If you’re available to take your turn now, would you like to stick with Summer or move on to Autumn?

1 Like

Sorry for my delay as well! I would like to stay in summer @SuperBiasedGary

1 Like

Turn 11 - @Forrest

12th to 19th of May

You draw the 3 of Summer :diamonds:

Summer is a time for adventure. Make a Plan related to exploring somewhere you haven’t been.

OR

Summer is a time for festivities. Make a Plan related to celebrating the good times.

Plans

Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.
Visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.

Routines

Host a meal
Count something
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

Summer is a time for music, dancing, performing. It is time for us to remember that. I am going to Make a Plan to go to travel to the major communities and see how and if they would like to participate in the festival - who they would send, what they would do, and so on.

Next, I will Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.
I travel towards the middle of the island, where there is a forest and twin rivers that flow into the ocean. I will stay here for about a week. I find a spot to sit in the forest with a sketchbook where I have a mostly-clear view of the rivers. During some parts of the day I have to fight the urge to fall asleep to the sound of their babbling. During the week I get to see a family of deer, or perhaps a new type of cervidae that descends from deer, bow their heads and drink from the river. Another day, a positively giant bear wades into the river to catch fish. The bear is quite successful that day.

I take at times quick and other times methodical sketches of the creatures that pass by. I am still enough to not alarm them, and I let them do their business.

Finally, I will Open My Senses.
On my return journey I think I have taken a different path. I stop in a village I have not seen before. The village is built around a grove of cinnamon trees.

3 Likes

One bit of housekeeping @Forrest, about the plan to Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.

Do you want to cross it off the list or do you want to keep it as a routine? (which just means that it can be done again on future turns).

And next up is @Homemade_Pizza. If you’re available to take your turn next week, would you want to stick with Summer or move on to Autumn?