[Play By Post] A Quiet-ish Year for a Whole Year

I’d be happy to keep it as a routine if others want to do it as well - is there any further implication beyond letting others do it too?

Also just want to say, since it’s an open the senses every other player is meant to respond -

Then, each other player describes something the narrator senses. Think of the main five senses, as well as any others that make sense. Each response should be brief—only 1-2 sentences.

1 Like

Yep, I’m good to take my turn! Let’s go to autumn.

Open Senses
The smell of spiced teas and fresh baking from all directions.

1 Like

Ah, sorry I confused this action for another one!

This means we all contribute a short sensory response to add to this scene.
@Homemade_Pizza, @Jkim, @NotThePars, @shokster826, @Wazanator and @aluketothepast

On a side street, a merchant is leaning against the doorway of her shop and catching up with the builder conducting repairs to a roof across the way. They’re shouting, so it takes a while for their words to die out.

3 Likes

Stopping at a food cart we purchase a fresh apple cinnamon muffin that has that perfect sweet but cinnamon taste.

2 Likes

I’m startled at one point by the sharp, penetrating clang of a bell rung five times, but I can’t quite locate its source. Is it dismissing students? Calling the beginning of a meeting? I don’t know.

2 Likes

the oppressive heaviness of the heat in the region inevitably turns everyone including me somewhat lethargic so as not to exhaust ourselves

2 Likes

Feeling tired by the walk and the heat, I head inside to a home of a friend and sink invitingly into a chair which is hard and rough but as welcome as a glass of water in the middle of the desert.

3 Likes

My friend hands me a treasure, a cool iced drink. I don’t ask what’s in it, and I don’t even take a sip yet. First, I tilt my hand, enjoying the cool glass against my palm, the hazy condensation and the soft but distinct feel of the collisions of the ice inside.

3 Likes

Slowly sipping the cold drink—it’s sweet to the tongue, yet it burns in the back of my throat. When I’ve finished, I’m given a smile and another full glass.

4 Likes

Turn 12 - @Homemade_Pizza

19th to 26th of May

You draw the 6 of Autumn :clubs:

You find a relaxing spot that few people know about:

Who do you find there? Learn Something from them.
OR
It gives you space you didn’t know you needed. Learn Something about yourself.

After that, you can act on a plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece (postponed until Autumn)
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.
Visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Host a meal
Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

Continuing the return journey, I shelter in a roadside inn during the heat of the afternoon so that I can finish the final few hours of travel in the evening’s cool. Despite the rarely-traveled road I have taken, the inn’s sitting room is immaculately kept and occupied by one or two other parties. It’s dark and quiet, and I find myself relaxing deeply there. Sipping a spicy, cold drink — cinnamon from the earlier village — I talk with someone who introduces themself as a Cartographer, a trade that I did not think still had much calling in this land.

In our conversation I learn something strange. The great chasm to the west of the old bridge has, well, it’s changed. As long as is known, a river has raged through the bottom of the gorge, visible from some of the vantage points that could see that deeply. But recently, visitors have reported that the dry bottom of the canyon is now visible — at least, sometimes. Some days, go the reports, the river is running once again; and other days, visitors return describing it as a dry riverbed, deep, deep in the earth. The Cartographer tells me they intend to be part of an expedition to, finally, map as much of that canyon bed as can be done. Who can imagine why the water is intermittent or what might be found beneath the water?

I think, having written this, I’ve overlapped the response to the oracle with the regular turn action. I think they fit together so I’m not going to try to learn something and perform the action, but if that’s weird for the gameplay sequence, I’ll revise!

But I will act on a routine:

When I reach home again, my imagination lit by this new discovery, I’ll write a letter to the small institution that the Cartographer tells me intends to fund the expedition.

5 Likes

Turn 13 - @Jkim

26th May to 2nd June

You draw the 9 of Autumn :clubs:

Mellow breezes bring people outside. Where do they go? What do they do there?

OR

Cold autumn winds drive travellers indoors. Who do you invite in? What insight do they bring to a difficulty or mystery in the region?

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece (postponed until Autumn)
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.
Visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.

Routines

Host a meal
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

It shouldn’t surprise me with how unseasonably hot this past summer was that fate would blast this little hamlet of ours with the coldest fall in a generation. I had heard over the summer of a sailor taking a trip to the chasm by boat to see what hell was going on there. I should’ve expected what happened next but I admit I was taken aback by a frantic banging at the door loud enough that it drowns out the blaring unceasing gale outside. When I open the door, I’m met an expression that should not be on someone as young as they were. My decades of experience on the sea cause a moment of internal chiding prior to ushering the sailor inside and offering them a seat by the fire before heading to the kitchen. I remember the first docking in after our first voyage in rough seas and the desperate need we had for warmth both externally and as a reminder that we were back on solid land and safe for sure. Luckily, there was a portion of cider heating on the stove alongside two portions of stew on account of the fact that it was dinnertime when they arrived. I take another set of silverware and bowls and plates out and set the table before ushering them into the dining room. When we’ve sat down and started eating the pace at which they ate was momentarily shocking before I recall how fast our fellows ate after that journey. I resist the urge to pepper them with questions straight away and consciously keep as relaxed a posture as possible to be as reassuring as possible. Heaven knows how helpful the presence of that barkeeper was in the moment on that night. Eventually the story comes out in bits and pieces starting with the bit everyone knows about the strange occurrences in the vicinity of the chasm. This sailor being the first to have ventured out there this season provided the first details of what may have been happening during a fishing trip from further up the coast to the entrance to the chasm. In addition to the turbulent seas they ramble on about a giant creature thrashing about in the river causing the odd movements in the river. I suppress the urge to shut down the notion straight off. After all in the prior era the lost being an extant thing in the universe would’ve been laughed out of the room as ludicrous. our little landmass is so isolated for the most part that it would not be surprising if some breeding incident or inane tampering could create such a monster in the land to west and curse us with an invasive specimen. My brain races before making a plan to persuade the ruling body to arrange an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis. Eventually we finish our meals and I lend them my room as I spend the night reading in the library and doze off.

First draft and looking forward to imput from the group. Feel free to take as much or as little as you want from this also open to any changes requested. Unsatisfied at my lack of creativity with regards to the chasm but it was more of a struggle than it should’ve been. Feel free to yeet the creature idea out the airlock if the group wishes.

6 Likes

I like it! You’ve got cool imagery and drama! I don’t think you have to be tightly linear with the prior turn, however, so it certainly would be fine to me if you wanted to revise and do something that didn’t involve the chasm.

2 Likes

appreciate it. really enjoy the chasm idea personally. just a little unreasonable annoyance at myself cause i find the giant sea creature idea so ubiquitous so as to be kind of overplayed or trite

I like it! I appreciate the addition of a potential sea monster that we can reveal later. :smiley:

@NotThePars do you want to stick with Autumn for your turn or go on to Winter?

I will stick with Autumn for now as it’s really simmering along nicely!

1 Like

Turn 14 - @NotThePars

31st May to 7th June

You draw the 3 of Autumn :clubs:

An older member of the community steps down from their responsibilities. Who takes their place? Change the Mood to reflect that.

OR

A young member of the community finds an unlikely friend. Where do they meet?

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Persuade the ruling body to arrange an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis.

Routines

Host a meal
Count something
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

1 Like