[Play By Post] A Quiet-ish Year for a Whole Year

Sorry for the delay! I’ve recently moved and started a new job so I’ve been having a very hectic few weeks. I have got some free time tomorrow that I can collate my thoughts into something for the thread.

3 Likes

Our community always prided itself on its sleepy stability. The thing about soft and slow decline for better or worse was that nobody could be particularly bothered to take any steps that might disrupt the routines we had all fallen into for what may have been decades now. This included any semblance of change or disruption in how we were governed. So the people who had likely once been elected onto our council continued to be where they were more through inertia than tyranny.

Now, however, there was wild talk in the air. The landscape was apparently changing arguably not even in line with any human understanding of nature. Furthermore there were scare stories of sea monsters like you would hear from nighttime campfire tales only this was being heard in every building at all hours of the day. Sensing the changing mood and potentially anticipating widespread panic, one of the elderly members of our council, Julia, has decided to step down and hand over responsibility to a person she believes is best placed to meet the challenges to come: The Cartographer.

The mood changes to one of anticipation and anxiety. Change has come whether the community wants it or not and while some people are filled with unease at the unprecedented situation they find themselves in, others are filled with optimism and almost excitement at the opportunity to tackle the unknown head on.

The Cartographer lays down an immediate intention to set out on their expedition to map the canyon. They also believe this is a task that everyone can contribute to whether they’re a merchant, builder, cook, and anything else besides. The work starts now and everyone regardless of their own feelings feel focused and ready to get involved. Some whisper that The Cartographer is displaying an uncanny and possibly unnerving ability to do politics as they get the people immediately onside but supporters believe it’s just proof of someone who’s focused on the task at hand.

I would like to resolve the persuading the ruling body (because we ARE the ruling body!) to approve an expedition and move on to preparation. Looking forward to seeing what mysteries we uncover!

4 Likes

Just making sure @NotThePars, do you mean you want to make a plan to:

Prepare an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis.

And @shokster826 do you want to stay in Autumn for your turn or move onto Winter?

Yes, that sounds good to me!

1 Like

I’ll stay in Autumn!

1 Like

Turn 15 - @shokster826

9th June to 16th June

You draw the 2 of Autumn :clubs:

Someone returns to the region. Who? Where were they and where do they settle down?

OR

You find a forgotten monument that has become something new in the absence of humans. What was it? How has it changed and how is it still changing?

After that, you can act on a plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.
Visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.
Persuade the ruling body to arrange an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis.
Prepare an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis.

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Host a meal
Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

Sorry, busy week. I’ll try and get something written in the next few days.

2 Likes

It is curious that the Regent would choose to return to the waters surrounding the continent now. The large whale, named for the crown-shaped scar on its head, had disappeared while on a regular migration nearly two decades ago, after having been a constant for generations. The old habits and traditions surrounding the Regent in coastal towns across the continent have all but died, it will be a while yet before they return to their former height. Whether there is a connection between this return and the rumors of sea monsters, I have no clue, but the large beast is certainly a comforting presence.

I’m not going to act on a plan.

For my turn action, I’ll Listen to People.

Instead of simply experiencing the world, the narrator
can ask a question and receive answers. If you choose
this, then say what question you ask. Each other player
chooses or creates a character to answer it and gives a
short answer from their point of view.

The question is one posed in the early stages of expedition planning: Where do we start?
I’m not sure if this is an OK question since the expedition is a plan that I didn’t execute on. If not, I’ll come up with something else.

5 Likes

I like that as a question because it sets people up to use these answers to then act on that plan. And that means each of us needs to now answer as some character in the story. They can be an existing one, new or throwaway for the sake of this turn.

@Forrest @Homemade_Pizza @Jkim @NotThePars @Wazanator @epigraph @aluketothepast

For my turn, the Regent itself speaks for the first and last time.

ᴾʳᵉᵖᵃʳᵉ ᵃˡˡ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᶦˢʰ
ʸᵒᵘ ʷᶦˡˡ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵇᵉ ʳᵉᵃᵈʸ
ˢᵉᵗᵗˡᵉ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵃᶠᶠᵃᶦʳˢ
ᵐᵃᵏᵉ ᵖᵉᵃᶜᵉ ʷᶦᵗʰ ˡᶦᶠᵉ
ʸᵒᵘ ᵐᵘˢᵗ ᵃᵈᵈʳᵉˢˢ
ʸᵒᵘʳ բᵉˢᵗᵉʳᶦⁿᵍ ᵈᵉᵐᵒⁿˢ

6 Likes

the rebuke of the longest tenured councilperson rings even louder than the smack of his discarded wooden hu after he leaves the chamber. “all of you will realize eventually that quarantining the area would’ve been the best choice given our resources and the situation. the only question is how many lives and how much blood will have to be wasted for that realization to break through your stubborn and panicked minds” out of character i want to emphasize that the appearance of a hu in this mini segment is a choice of this character and not in my conception at least part of standard attire for these meetings

5 Likes

I think we ought to take all of the fish that we fish from the ocean for the next week (month?) and offer it to the Regent.

Also for me, Forrest, can someone tell me what a hu is? I googled it an got that cool Mongolian band and then just people with the name Hu.

3 Likes

It’s a type of vessel for wine storage.
Here’s a picture of a relatively simple one (made of bronze):

I was wrong, this is not what was being referred to, disregard

The Cartographer feels the sting of the rebuke almost like a physical strike but they will not be cowed. “That the world has receded before our very eyes has been one of our biggest failures and I will not stand for it. Our ancestors touched every corner of the world for better or worse and we have a duty to expand our understanding of our surroundings once again. Others may wish to waste resources on placating our detractors but I will make sure we are well supplied and well stocked to give us the maximum possibility to explore what threatens us.”

I like Forrest’s suggestion I thought it would be good for The Cartographer to be a practical person who’s chafing against the established authorities of the community

3 Likes

just for clarification purposes i was envisioning something along the lines of the thing held in this image.

accompanying wiki article. Hu (ritual baton) - Wikipedia

apologies if this should’ve just been edited onto my og post as opposed to being a new one and for the confusion

5 Likes

A young man who traveled from a nearby village to join the expedition speaks up “The Carographer is right, we cannot sit idly around while we have questions that need to be answered! Learning more about the world could help not only to satisfy our curiosity but the knowledge could be brought back and put to good use by our people.”

5 Likes

An older woman, part of large local family speaks up. “It’s all well and good to speak of adventure, but expeditions succeed on their stomachs, and the hunt is not as reliable as it once was. We must start by preserving food and preparing vessels for clean drink, and assembling the means to carry it. This will take some time. Those who stay home may need to learn to go without a meal from time to time.” “Pickle barrels.” she says, almost to her self, as she gathers up grandchildren to do the work with a sweep of her eyes.

5 Likes

The village children are known for their idle minds and insatiable curiosities, so it’s no surprise many’ve been staring wide-eyed at the sea recently. While they don’t seem to take much interest in the expeditionary deliberations, it’s safe to say they’ll lend an ear and maybe a nimble hand to whoever promises the extraordinary.

4 Likes

One of the older children, hovering on the edges of the conversations, appears to have taken an interest in the sheafs of the cartographer’s maps now unrolled, tacked to boards, and stacked precisely. While carefully mimicking the line styles of a gradient on another piece of paper, she half-audibly exhales, “look around, it should have started years ago.”

6 Likes

Turn 16 - @Wazanator

23rd June to 30th June

You draw the Ace of Autumn :clubs:

Someone had a bountiful harvest and shares it with you. Who? What do they bring and how have they prepared it?

OR

Someone is urgently busy and, as a result, a Plan or Routine falls through: do not act on it until this season ends. Who, and which one?

After that, you can act on a plan/routine if you wish.
And lastly take one of the turn actions from the book.

If you choose the latter option, pick one of the plans or routines listed below (one that’s not crossed out) and we’ll be unable to resolve it until Winter.

As a reminder the plans and routines are:

Plans

Go and evaluate the growing mountainside art piece
Go to the mall to consult the elderly for any potential stories I have missed, focused on the threads which bind the community and other notable landmarks together.
Visit the stone builder and ask about their history and their plans for the structure.
Persuade the ruling body to arrange an expedition to figure out what is going on for sure before we reach a crisis.

Routines

Send a letter to a stranger.
Host a meal
Engage in careful observation of the wildlife on the continent.
Count something
Travels with people to various historical sites he has been and recounts their stories
Updates the wiki
Cataloguing
Making an observation
Paints nature
Roll some dice

1 Like

Prior to the expedition I had been wanting to take a trip over to the growing mountainside art piece to see how it was coming along but the Cartographer insists that there isn’t a moment to lose. I am saddened but the knowledge that upon our return it shall be even more grand then I remember it will make up for this.

As we are preparing to leave on our expedition I learn that a local artist has made for us all beautiful hand carved wooden pendants as a good luck charm for safe travels ahead. One side has the name of the individual and the other an intricate design of a flower.

3 Likes