Playing your way through history, what path would you take?

So I’ve been playing a lot of Ancestor’s: The Humankind Odyssey recently, and the thought that keeps creeping into my head is “I should play Far Cry: Primal after this and continue my path through history.” I started thinking what if I just continued to play through games in chronological order until I reached present times or possibly even continue into the far future?

Of course, I could just have a playthrough of Civ 6 and call it a day, but this idea kind of excites me. I haven’t checked the times too thoroughly, but I’m currently thinking about playing through the following games (using only games I own):

• Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
  • Far Cry Primal
  • Hades(?)
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins
  • Ryse
  • At The Gates
  • Northgard
  • Dragons Dogma (let me have this)
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Nioh
  • Battle Chef Brigade (let me have this too)
  • Dishonored 2
  • The Sinking City
  • Mafia III
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy (okay I’m going off the rails here)
  • Katamari Damacy

FUTURE GAMES

• State of Decay 2
  • Quantum Break
  • The Surge
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Um… Endless Space 2?

Obviously this isn’t a complete idea, and I don’t know if I can do this while keeping up with All The Games I Want To Play, but even just as a mental exercise, making this list was fun!

What games would you play if you had to play in chronological order from ancient times to the present? Are there any games I should play instead of the ones listed? Should I have more Assassin’s Creed games on this list?

EDIT: As mentioned below, the list is very euro-centric. I would love any recommendations for games that explore history or culture outside of european history!

4 Likes

You could cheat and just play Mario’s Time Machine.

3 Likes

This is a very neat project! One suggestion I would have may be to add in a couple of games to make the list a little less Euro-centric. Perhaps the addition of Kisima Inŋitchuŋa to highlight the culture of North American indigenous peoples, or Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan to experience Cameroonian and African mythology? It’s admittedly slim pickings as the industry is quite Western and East Asian centric, but there are some interesting options out there.

2 Likes

I agree, I should make it less euro-centric. Part of it was a limitation to games I own and haven’t beaten yet, but I missed several games that can replace many of these games. Definitely gonna snag Aurion at the very least, watching the trailer and dang it looks cool!

Part of me was thinking about including board games could expand to more historical games outside of European/East Asian history, but many of those games were made through a western lens.

I’m going to edit the OP for recommendations of games outside of euro-centric history

1 Like

If you want non-Euro-centric historical games that also aren’t made by Europeans then The Cosmology of Kyoto is an absolute 100% must play.

Some other interesting ones I’d also recommend looking into:

All Our Asias
Being (this one, not the XBox Live game)
Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Grey Wolf
Honour Water
Never Alone
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII
Way of the Samurai

3 Likes