[PODCAST 282] Disney Should Let Star Wars Games Get Weird Again

Star Wars is a franchise that has an astronomical reach. And back when that reach was still growing, there was a tremendous amount of variety in the types of video games being made under the Star Wars banner. Not all of them were stunners, but that's ok because there were plenty that were good, and they weren't all the same type of game. Nowadays, it's surprising when a Star Wars game is good at all. But now that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has released and created a solid Hero's Journey in the Star Wars universe, we had to ask: what's next? We discuss the possibilities of a more open Star Wars licence and take a dip into the Question Bucket on this week's Waypoint Radio. You can read an excerpt and listen to the full episode below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a35xdj/disney-should-let-star-wars-games-get-weird-again
1 Like

tumblr_p3aiehsCkx1r5eua4o1_1517183723_cover

8 Likes

Kyle Katarn or Dash Rendar?

1 Like

So, hear me out on this one: a game starring a Rebel saboteur (Cassian Andor?) done in the style of Metal Gear Acid.

7 Likes

I definitely think there’s such a thing as too much Star Wars when it comes to films, but where games are concerned I really do want All The Star Wars.

It’s hard to judge the “Marvel Games” model based on two games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Spider-Man), but in theory, that seems like a good model for at least part of the Star Wars license: ask big developers who do good work to do something with the license with Lucasfilm oversight.

That being said, having put it out into the world, I want my Star Wars Acid game and there’s no way on Earth Disney would let that happen.

3 Likes

Let. Koei-Tecmo. Make. Star. Wars. Warriors.

7 Likes

Dexter Jettster Diner Dash.

6 Likes

Gimme GTA Chinatown Wars except I’m slinging death sticks out the back of my speeder all over Coruscant.

3 Likes

Mos Eisley Cantina Root Beer Tapper

2 Likes

JAWA TYCOON 2020

Okay but like seriously, do Jawas travel between planets? They’re on a lot of different worlds, so they must…

3 Likes

Collect scrap, craft things, sell them. Just reskin a Bethesda Fallout and you’ve got Jawa Simulator 2019.

4 Likes

Give me a modern version of Yoda Stories that’s not about Luke, and can be played on a potato.

Preferably on a phone, but a potato would do.

10-30 minute adventures, puzzles, and quiet world building with simple point and click combat. Something to do while waiting for a meeting or taking a break.

Give. Me. It.

3 Likes

Untitled Jawa Game, with a dedicated “UTEENEE” button

12 Likes

Finally listening to the podcast, and I nearly shouted for joy in public when Austin said “give me Yoda Stories 2!”

Making a game in that style has been my ambition since I started making games. Thank you for validating me, Austin!

Rob’s suggestion of a Wadjet Eye Star Wars game also resonates with me.

Give the Star Wars license to independent devs!

5 Likes

A stealth game where you distract people so you can quickly dismantle their speeders and spaceships sounds amazing!

6 Likes

I always wanted a Mass Effect style RPG that was a retelling of the OT. You would choose Luke or Leia, customize what they look like, then start on Uncle Owen’s farm.

You’d be able to replay the films exactly or shake things up a bit. Perhaps Luke DOES join Vader at the end of Empire. Perhaps Leia decides to not go with Obi-Wan and join the academy? Perhaps Luke makes a deal with Jabba to help fight the Empire on Endor.

1 Like

Fun useless trivia but Utinni and other Jawa phrases are sped up Zulu.

3 Likes

A protocol game where you play as a Republic droid who has to balance a thousand different languages and etiquette rituals

9 Likes

I just had another thought: let Fullbright make a Star Wars game.

4 Likes