Podcast discussion, an introduction, stroll down memory lane

Podcasts were a joke. I stumbled upon one in 2006 called Computer Gaming World Podcast or CGW Radio, owned/hosted by 1UP; a now defunct publication company. The editor-in-chief of CGW Magazine, Jeff Green opened the podcast with this quote: “Hello and welcome to the first and probably last ever CGW podcast”, the first episode was hosted by Garnett Lee, Darren Gladstone, Shawn Elliott and the aforementioned Jeff Green. Garnett Lee now works at Amazon, Darren Gladstone now works at 2K, Shawn Elliott now works for Arkane Austin and Jeff, well he’s on Twitter writing dad jokes and just generally being awesome. This was the beginning of gaming podcasts, and a pointed shift in video game culture.

This was the time people would argue the nuance of video games or computer games, since I was a CGW reader it’s not hard to know where I fell in that argument, messageboards were chaotic and honestly childish things but as these writers of video games grew so did the community, the birth of Kotaku, the firing of Jeff Gerstmann, the tragic passing of Ryan Davis, the shutting down of 1UP, Gamespy, Joystiq are all marks in the timeline of gaming culture and critical points in people’s lives that were now in our ears every week with podcasts.

For me, CGW Radio Podcast introduced me to critical thinking of games, talking for no less than 40 minutes about review scores when Shawn Elliott gave Crysis an 8 out of 10 and was criticised for it at length across dozens of message boards. Games were no longer a way to waste time for me, it was apart of my commute to work, something I listened to on Saturday mornings when I made breakfast, we grew up with these people.

I legitimately cried when Ziff Davis, parent company of 1UP, closed its doors because suddenly all the people I grew up with lost their jobs, several went to IGN/Gamespy, others found jobs in game development, everything worked out but I had lost my community, like many others I had a NeoGAF account and I started to post on there, mostly in the OffTopic because I was getting all my gaming information and conversation from podcasts started/taken over by former Ziff Davis employees (Geekbox, Gamespy Debriefings, IGN’s slew of podcasts, Comedy Button, Rebel.FM).

Now, NeoGAF is gone, the community has completely fragmented, allegations of sexual misconduct towards the owner, the moderators left due to yet another scandal on the website and did not want to wait around for an owner that they felt would take too long to respond to such things, the community itself which knew nothing of this was simply gone.

After listening to my first ever Waypoint podcast little more than an hour ago I decided to write this, initially I was writing this as a way to get some feelings out but as I was writing and thinking I decided to change this into an introduction, a hello, to this messageboard and community. So, hello!

I know that there’s an introduce yourself thread, and I did read all the rules before even making my account, so maybe if this thread should have any intention let’s talk about podcasts, when we first started listening to podcasts, what we listen to now and such. Thank you so much

A post was merged into an existing topic: Oy, introduce yourself!