[PODCAST Episode 274] Ubisoft's Reaction to 'Ghost Recon Breakpoint' Flopping Is Surprisingly Honest

A slew of games from multiple developers were delayed on Thursday, but even more surprising than The Last of Us Part II being pushed back so soon after the launch date was announced was Ubisoft's surprisingly honest and accurate things to say about the disappointing performance of two of their recent releases. In a press release, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot spoke to the less than stellar launch of both The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint. We discuss the delays, The Outer Worlds politics, and more on this week's Waypoint Radio. You can read an excerpt and listen to the full episode below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43kpbj/ubisofts-reaction-to-ghost-recon-breakpoint-flopping-is-surprisingly-honest

Always feels weird when a game I spent the full $60 on “flops”… Because I know in a few months it’ll be MUCH cheaper, and I could fill that in between time with Battletech (which I just got into, and I gotta say, RULES)

Ah well. Still having fun with Breakpoint in any case.

To be fair, regardless of the game’s sales, if it isn’t a Nintendo game it’ll be discounted within 3 months of release. So don’t feel too bad as long as you’re getting enjoyment out of Breakpoint.

4 Likes

Yeah. The game industry at this point, sans nintendo apparently (Though honestly i’ve even seen them cave a little and put their games on minor sale for 40 dollars more often now) is on a giant race to the bottom, and it sucks. Not really feeling too bad for like the Ubis and the EAs of the world, but mostly just for indie creators, who feel that shit much more harshly. Capitalism sucks yo.

2 Likes

RE: Skill checks and XP. You got experience for completing skill checks in dialogue and outside of dialogue in NV.

RE: CKIII stuff, that sounds like exactly what I want. The best DLCs in CKII are the ones that DO just let you click a button that makes you better at Diplomacy or War or whatever and let you hit the gym. I’d consider them basically mandatory for playing the game more than 20 hours, because it lets you lean into the RP element of it, when otherwise you’d just be fabricating Casus Beli and optimizing your heir marriages all day.

1 Like

I’m only a little into the episode, but I felt bad for Rob as he’s describing his feelings on Outer Worlds it feels like Austin really just kinda takes over.

3 Likes

Listening to the Outer Worlds discussion had confirmed what I suspected about that game. From the talk around it I heard other places I was like “ok maybe this one is different…” but it sounds like it’s not.
I don’t think I can enjoy any sort of irreverent satire in games anymore. It just often seems like a shorthand for “we didn’t actually want to try to say anything meaningful”

3 Likes

There’s actually a Deep Lore reason why the Waking Sands is so far away from a teleport. Well first of all, the practical video game development reason is that they didn’t want a major quest hub to get congested and crash during their big relaunch. Putting the teleport point further away alleviates stress on the servers (although the game still had a rocky launch).

The in-fiction reason is that the Scions of the Seventh Dawn were actually initially financed by one of the robber barons of Ul’dah named Lolorito. You can see his statue in the middle of Vesper Bay, the town that the Waking Sands is located in. He actually founded the town recently to fuck over a rival company, which is contributing to the economic depression in nearby Silver Bazaar. It was recent enough that it hasn’t gotten approval to get linked into the teleport network yet, and since he’s super rich, he doesn’t really care since he can just get a private caravan whenever he wants to visit.

And Austin, don’t worry, the Waking Sands stops being the main story quest hub over the course of the interbellum story between ARR and Heavensward. You will see why Soon™.

Outer Worlds sounds like it is less interesting in New Vegas in just about every way, except for the part where it is a functional video game instead of a broken janky mess

It was very funny when the Waking Sands being ages away from a crystal ended up becoming a plot point after Realm Reborn. I need to check out some other classes when I eventually get some more game time, axes and spears are all well and good but it sounds like there’s a bit more going on with the non-base-game ones.

did wild lands do exceptionally well in sales? If not, I don’t understand why they decided to make a sequel to a game that 1. I dont know anyone that played it and 2. caused an international incident. when I heard breakpoint was coming out, my question was why

Listening to Rob talk about Outer Worlds and all his criticisms sound like features. It is not a revolution, but it is a fun RPG in a style that we haven’t seen good example of in years. And there are a lot of little things that it does well. The way my high engineer skill keeps giving me dialogue options is really cool and I’ve heard this extends to every skill in the game. It being on game pass also helps a lot.

1 Like

Wildlands was the best selling game of that year until later on when Call of Duty came out. And that was 2017, so you know what other games came out at that time.

2 Likes

The face I’m making while listening to Rob and Austin literally describe features that were in Fallout 4 while talking about the new stuff that Outer Worlds brings to the formula: :expressionless:

(Namely: the Charisma perk Inspiration that buffs companion damage and damage resistance, and the core mechanic where you can ask companions to pick locks and hack terminals for you.)

1 Like

I am honestly shocked, wow

so who wants to tell Austin that the empire stuff isnt the end of ARR and that he will have a ton of story to get through before heavensward

(pretty sure he already knows that)

I was born in East Germany and spent most of my childhood there. I lived in East Berlin, and was twelve when the wall came down.

I enjoyed Rob’s chat about his visit to Berlin. The museum sounds like it services a particular phenomenon known as ‘Ostalgie’ (literally ‘Eastalgia’ an amalgamation of the German words for nostalgia and East), which is mainly a longing and appreciation for the things that are remembered fondly and as being good in East Germany. Those may be consumer goods - certain food items have seen a particular level of this nostalgia - but also artists, TV shows, music… It is interesting that even 30 years later, such a museum can’t seem to exist without what Rob described as being propagandistic - there just has to be a strong reminder that ultimately the system that created all these things was bad, and you must not forget that.

The Trabant is a peculiar thing. It was pretty much the entry level vehicle, and even as such it was a form of luxury, because they just didn’t make enough to fill the demand, and the entire notion of individual transport was viewed suspiciously by the authorities. The Trabant - we had one for some time - was built pretty much the same for almost thirty years, and because they were fairly easy to self-maintain and repair, you sometimes couldn’t tell a 20 year old one from a brand new one. Even so, people had to wait years to be allocated one (still had to buy it), or had to try and get one second hand.

Also it’s worth noting that the apartments Rob described were mainly available in new development blocks in the bigger cities. In smaller towns you might have gotten two-bedrooms, but you had to forego luxuries like running hot water and central heating. Both my grandmothers lived in such apartments and I ‘fondly’ remember all the buckets of coal briquettes that had to be lugged up the stairs to provide fuel for the coal-fired ovens and stoves.

I don’t remember ever seeing a hot air balloon with Karl Marx’s face on it, much less a bunch of them at the same time…

11 Likes

Wasn’t the Trabant made from some kind of cotton polymer byproduct, or did Top Gear made that up?

Wasn’t the Trabant made from some kind of cotton polymer byproduct, or did Top Gear made that up?

The chassis was steel, but the skin was what they called Duroplast, a polymer reinforced with short cotton fibres. So no, they absolutely did not make that up. The stuff was often (and derisively) called “Pappe” (cardboard), but it was actually quite an ingenious option to choose. Apparently the entire Duroplast skin of a Trabant weighed no more than 32kg (~70lb).

3 Likes