[PODCAST Episode 289] The Nemesis System Could Make for an Amazing Batman Game

It's been almost 5 years since the last Batman game in the Arkham series, and it's starting to show signs of life. Franchise stewards WB Games Montreal have been teasing what seems to be a new Batman game for the last few months with cryptic tweets. They recently dropped a new image that has the Waypoint Radio crew's imaginations running wild.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epgx4n/the-nemesis-system-could-make-for-an-amazing-batman-game

That’s what Shadow of Mordor was before it became a Lord of the Rings game.

2 Likes

Austin Walker plays FFXII in this podcast and I desperately need him to finish that. (Vayne btw isn’t the Marquis, that’s Ondore, who we’re told by the game is a good guy but really does snaky political operations and almost starts Ivalice WWIII.) That game is awesome.

I also would pay a $1000 of my own money to hear Rob Zacny’s take on FFT and Tactics Ogre.

1 Like

I have a theory that Square-Enix is going to eventually return to Ivalice in a big way soonish.

4 Likes

Hearing his thoughts on FFXII and Heavensward I really hope Austin sticks around in FFXIV through Stormblood, as I think it may be much more up his alley. I liked Heavensward more than Austin seems to, but part of that is also time and place and expectations. Looking back I definitely think it’s the least interesting of the expansions, from a story perspective.

Also I’m not really into RPing, but a Yakuza bath house RP guild does have some appeal.

Much more so than in a Batman game, I think the nemesis system would have a much better place in another Avalanche Mad Max game.

3 Likes

Star Wars Lore Reasons needs to happen after Metal Gear Solid Lore Reasons AKA Nanomachines, Son so that SWLR can be called Midochlorians, Son.

2 Likes

We’re finally closer to completing the Pokésonas set!

4 Likes

With the state of the series it would probably be a good move to “reboot” it back to it’s roots, kind of like they did with FF9. Ignoring the mmo which is kind of it’s own thing Final Fantasy has been in sci-fi mode since 13 came out in December 2009. I’d love to see them go back to mages and airships after a decade of future soldiers and road trips.

2 Likes

Make a Souls-like but Vagrant Story.

1 Like

put the nemesis system in a star war

1 Like

Bloodborne always felt like a Vagrant Story reboot to me. Just lacked the rather awesome story.

1 Like

Ivalice is FF’s best and most realized world and allows, as we saw them do in the past, for different genres to play in that space and do it well.

2 Likes

Having not played either Mordor game, wouldn’t Batman be a bad fit for a Nemesis system? I could see the aspect of the villains developing differently based on interactions with Batman, but from what I’ve heard, the best parts of the Nemesis system was going “hey, I remember you!” which would be kinda redundant for Batman’s already colourful rogues gallery. And giving that kind of development to random grunts would kind of defeat one of the big reasons you choose Batman as a property: the villains.

Hearin Austin talk about loving the political machinations stuff in FFXII makes me really wish the Trails games didn’t have the dumb big overarching franchise story so i could actually recommend them to people. “Anime teens trying to navigate rising tension between nobility and rich commoners after massive industrial revolution” is cool as hell on its own and never needed to tie in to a 9±game overarching story where a secret organisation hunts vaguely defined magical artifacts and at the end you’ll probably kill god

4 Likes

You could remove the procgen aspect for the faction heads, in this case your Joker, Penguin, Etc… and have your protagonist/s work through their procgen ranks to get to them.

The strength of the Nemesis System isn’t the memories it portrays in the NPCs, it’s the use of the player’s actions in the past to mold the NPCs reactions in the present and future. Take out a lot of henchmen with smoke bombs or in the shadows, they start using NVR goggles. Use a stun gun on them a lot, they start wearing armor to nullify it. Stuff like that.

Wasn’t the Nemesis system also about the hierarchy, and enemy NPCs as individuals that you can encounter again and again? I might just be stuck in my own biases, but in that vein I can’t see myself being interested in seeing Gary, the dude with a gun who started wearing goggles and got promoted, again.

Again, never played a Mordor.

Wasn’t saying there would be named henchmen, even if there are it would be the same as how the Mordor games handled it and in this case would make more sense than it did in the Mordor games. When they return, it’ll be because they escaped Arkham or Blackgate something that we know happens frequently as apposed to them somehow reattaching their heads and coming back for more.

Mercenaries 3 with the nemesis system.

1 Like