Podcast Recommendations

Beef and Dairy Network - A very good, very british bovine industry equivalent of welcome to the nightvale. I can’t recommend it enough, it doesn’t get enough love.

Tights and Fights - Good wrasslin podcast, with indie rap star Open Mike Eagle.

So a podcast I’ve been listening to is Function with Anil Dash. It’s a fairly recent podcast (started back in October 2018) that looks at the intersection between technology, society, and culture. Each episode takes on a different interesting topic and features host Anil having a conversation with people closely involved with the topic, whether on the technology side, cultural side, or both.

So far, two episodes I’ve particularly enjoyed are episode one which talks about Epic’s taking of popular dances to use in Fortnite without crediting or compensating creators (featuring an interview with rapper 2 Milly), and episode four which takes on the question of whether Twitter should have some kind of ‘edit tweet’ functionality. Both very good thought provoking listens.

EDIT: Jumping back in to shoutout episode six as well, which is a kind of “how the sausage gets made” look at the world of podcast advertisements. Includes a fun interview with hosts Jade and X.D of the podcast ‘Jade + X.D: The Blackest show about nothing’.

It’s 2019, and I need some real help finding another gaming podcast to listen to, but I have a very very particular hangup about what I listen to.

Waypoint Radio is my darling favorite, but it has accidentally ruined me for other podcasts. I like panel discussions and deep dives, I love that stuff… but I absolutely cannot stand it when people talk over each other and don’t swing back to someone’s point.

For instance, bc I know Austin used to work there and some of my friends are fans, I tried to listen to the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts because that is the exact kind of thing I want. However, I failed out of the first episode about a half hour in because the men continuously, repeatedly interrupted whoever the female cohost is and unlike with WPR, they never went back to let people finish.

I just. I cannot deal! Nope! Go back! I am spoiled rotten, i am ruined, I need the moderation that allows for “Sorry, X, you were saying about Celeste?” or “No, Y, I saw your hand raised.”

Can anyone rec a podcast that has this similar style? Gimme great discussions and fun tangents, but if people are gonna be rude as hell, I can’t deal.

Edit: For elucidation, what I already enjoy and listen to is Overinvested, Waypoint, and the McElroy Family Of Products. I’ve listened to Polygon Show in the past but that was months ago. And I liked Fave This! when it was still being made.

You may like Kotaku’s podcast, Splitscreen.

It’s just Jason Schreier and Kirk Hamilton. Since it’s only two people, there’s not much talking over each other.

I would offer to give The Giant Beastcast another shot though! Anyone who’s an active listener will tell you that their GOTY discussion does NOT represent the usual shows they put out, especially with Abby. Their GOTY discussions are kind of weird experiments… I think GB’s overall philosophy is that the discourse around GOTY discussion is kind of bullshit. My GOTY is not going to be your GOTY, so these awards are kind of meaningless.

Perhaps I am biased and don’t see it because I’m a man, but I feel like Abby gets good talking time in during the usual podcasts and shows. Yeah, they probably roll over her in GOTY discussion, but that’s exactly why as a fan I kind of actually actively HATE their GOTY discussion.

The Bombcast is good too, but the Beastcast is a better show IMO.

Hm it would be good to know that the constant talking over each other is not normal because oooooof I hated it. Could you explain the difference between Beastcast and Bombcast for someone unfamiliar with GB?

Sure!

So, Giantbomb is separated to two offices, one in San Francisco and one in New York City.

The Giant Bombcast is the OG podcast for GiantBomb. A lot of the hosts in the Beastcast started there before they moved out East. It’s good, but a lot of times they can let discussion of a game like CoD, Dota, or Destiny just dominate the conversation. It’s more low key, though they can be insanely funny. The hosts are Jeff, Ben, Brad, Jason, and Jan.

Beastcast is an offshoot, and I’d say they’re the more fun of the site. You get the more silly moments like this:

So in context, Dan is famously a trash person, and he basically plays Jeremiah as his opposite.

This clip is great too.

Here’s a good animated segment from the Beastcast featuring Austin:

A good Abby moment:

The Beastcast has Vinny, Dan, Abby, Jeff B., and Alex, and it’s just a ton of fun. The structure is:

Introductions, ‘What games have you been playing?’ news, E-mails from fans, and then corrections (which is basically fans writing in to correct them on their foolishness)

You get a similar structure with Bombcast, but not corrections.

Seconding @GoldenJoel Beastcast rec, although I’d add that maybe check out episodes from the first year when Austin was still on it, as that might be a better intro for a Waypoint fan.

Also, I just wanted to shout out Spawn on Me, which is an excellent podcast in its own right. They very much do the insightful round table stuff and get into analysis that other similar podcasts don’t cover. Of course, having an all black panel helps, but also some members of pod are a bit older with teenage/adult children, which provides a decidedly non-millennial perspective of games. If you want a sample episode to see what the podcast is about, the Mafia III episode is excellent.

Not entirely video games specific, but Make It Sound Fiction covers general pop culture topics very well and a lot of it is about games and the industry around it. The two hosts have a good dynamic and always develop points back and forth really well. They just put out an episode on the whole Ellie mess in Overwatch esports and I’m looking forward to their conversation about it.

I would recommend Bad End. It’s run by a few Killscreen alums, and carries the same critical lens that the site was known for. It’s a panel style podcast, but it’s just 3 people, so you don’t get a lot of people talking over each other. The hosts aren’t afraid to disagree with each other or the industry at large (which is a huge breath of fresh air in video games, where critical consensus is rampant and rarely questioned), but nothing ever gets contentious.

They recently had “New Games Criticism’s” own Tim Rodgers on, and it was good:

Their end of year episode was good too:

I’d recommend No Cartridge Audio. It’s mostly a video game podcast with a Leftist/kinda academic bent to it. Every episode has host Trevor Strunk and most are interview/discussion shows with other people mostly from video games and podcasts. If you like Night in the Woods there are 4 (5? 7?) episodes with Scott Benson, one of the designers of the game, and all of them are really good episodes.

Thank you so very much for the recs. I have added most of them to Podcast Addict and as someone who works in retail, I have literally hours every day to listen to stuff. It’s much appreciated.

And y’all were right about Beastcast. It was a dramatically better listen than the GOTY Bombcast stuff. It’s practically night and day, thanks for suggesting giving them another go.

Oh I need to give Spawn On Me another shot. I tried them around mid-2018 only to fail out because they were more meandering? But I will try again, and specifically look into the Mafia III episode.

Thank you all again. :pray:

If you like music-type podcasts like Switched On Pop or Song Exploder, you might also like former Kotaku writer Kirk Hamilton’s Strong Songs. It’s new but it’s good!