[Possible Story Discussion] Red Dead Redemption 2 First Impressions

The scene would have resonated more with me if Arthur didn’t run into a pack of wolves and then have it cut off, never to come back on again.

I had the same problem with the Mexico scene in RDR1 and to this day I have no idea why people rave about it.

Conspiracy theory: There’s some kind of system that activates late in Red Dead games that makes your horses more prone to death.

I didn’t lose a single horse until near the very end of my RDR1 playthrough and now after playing 90% of this game with one horse I’ve had two die on me in Chapter 6.

Second one got done in by a waterfall.

This was a comment over in the thread on Patrick’s article, but I’m responding over here so as to not take that one off topic:

This is interesting, because I thought that, too, but I liked it because it seemed intentional. We’ve been hearing since the first game that Dutch is not evil - he taught John to read! - he’s just from a different time. When people in RDR2 call Dutch a manipulative psychopath, those people are villains, so we’re conditioned to deny it. But they’re right, and they’ve always been right. This issue isn’t that Dutch or the world have changed, it’s that people around him are seeing past the veil.

It kind of relates to something about the voice performances I’ve noticed (or at least I think I have - I’m not sure whether I noticed something profound, am reading way too much into it, or am just seeing something that isn’t really there - still, if I was a YouTuber, I’d definitely make a 15 minute video about this).

In RDR1, everyone sounds like they’re performing in a stage play. The characters talk-shout {IS THAT SO, MR. MARSTON?} and over annunciate everything {YES IT IS, MISS MACFARLANE}. I assume this was intentional, to evoke the stage-y, wooden acting of old Western films.

In RDR2, most of the voice acting, even John for the most part, come across as much more natural. Except Dutch. Dutch still sounds like he’s performing. Because Dutch is performing, all the time. But now it stands out, and we recognize it for the act that it is.

Ya’ll are really gonna get upset when you realize that RDR2 is a beat for beat remake of GTA4: The Lost and the Damned…

The basic structure is definitely similar, but RDR2 is still way more thoughtful in, like, pretty much every way.

@WastelandHound You can actually find Dutch’s speech notes in camp, which I love. I know it’s meant to be a warning sign for what’s to come, but early on, it’s kinda delightfully dorky.

I’m back on my bullshit, for real this time. I don’t want chapter two to end. I want to just isolate this time frame and stay in it forever so things don’t have to get sad.

EDIT: Just wanted to call attention to two interesting stories I came across.

One shitty:

And one weird:

I know it’s difficult to police shitty behavior in online games and Rockstar obviously has a reputation for making games that assholes love, but I really hope that they step in and do something about this. The single player campaign obviously understands that some lines shouldn’t be crossed, so why can’t the multiplayer?

And I love that the Pinkertons, the private security company whose horrible crackdown on worker’s rights groups was probably responsible for A LOT of the crime on the frontier, is worried about looking bad.

I really enjoyed that first article but this sentence

You must eat, you must bathe, you must shave, you must clean your guns.

is hilarious in the context of playing a femme character in RDR2. My fiancé and I noticed that they do not have leg hair for the femme characters and there is no shaving option for them. They are just always perfectly shaved, no matter if you’ve spent all your time hunting in the wilderness, or what.

Aw, really? Damn, I was looking forward to that, I wanted to play RDO as a woman to get different customization options after 100+ hours as Arthur and was kinda hoping I could make a hairy hermit girl.

no hairy women, but the skirts are pretty nice

No hairy women

(sad Gimli face)

Y’all I genuinely like Arthur as a character and this is, like, the least awful Rockstar game I’ve ever played, and it does a lot of interesting things, but…is so long. Y’all, game is SO LONG. I checked a walkthrough guide because I felt like surely I was almost over and it could have ended like six times by now, but I still have thirty-two story missions left if I wanna play the epilogues. I just…I don’t know if I can. I need point-to-point fast travel at this point because it’s juuuuust enough of a slog to move around and play that I’m kinda tired of riding everywhere.

I’m feeling this at the moment too. I don’t know that I could ever feel good about recommending Red Dead 2 to other folks for a myriad of reasons but I’m generally having a decent time with it. I enjoy wandering around the open world and Arthur is the least grating Rockstar protagonist I’ve encountered… but I just hit chapter 4 and I’m already reaching that point where I’ve had my fill. If I were to continue at the pace I have been I’d be lucky if I’m half-way through the game. Having just come off New Vegas (which I still haven’t quite finished) I think whatever I play next will be much, much shorter.

I completely agree the game was too damn long (I finished the main story and the epilogue and was completely exhausted by the end of it all), and it’s a shame that a lot of the game’s best content in terms of side missions only become available in chapter 6. If you’re even somewhat invested in the story and Arthur’s arc but don’t have the drive to push through (very reasonable) I would definitely recommend hunting down some clips of the side content from the final chapter, to get some closure and experience some of the best conversations in the whole thing.

There’s an important reveal near the end of chapter 5 that gives crucial context to all that stuff and shifts the tone of the game dramatically, so it might be worth giving that a peek too.

I feel like chapter 4 is kind of the ‘hump’ in the game. The game loses some momentum following the conclusion of the 3rd chapter, and it doesn’t really pick back up until things further escalate for the gang at the conclusion of the 4th chapter. It was around this point that I took a 2 month break from the game, and only came back to it a few weeks ago to finish it out.

Finished this yesterday. Took me from launch day until now. I dont think I’m alone in having mixed feelings about this game, listened to several hours of GB and Waypoint hash this one out.

Best characters and dialogue that Rockstar has ever had. I loved the story, but had to force myself to keep playing.

Like others have pointed out the game wore thin about halfway into the story. Underneath the insane amount of detail, the game mechanics are a predictable loop and this becomes very clear after 40 plus hours. Ride a horse to a destination, dialog during ride, stop, gunfight with npcs.

A better fast travel system would have done wonders for me. So many instances of looking at the map, seeing like 10 minutes of riding, and being like, for fucks sake.