Post your 2018 gaming lists/writeups!

What with it being the end of year, why not have a thread about what you’ve played in 2018! Post your top 10 games, or top however many games you played this year! Post a writeup about a game that spoke to you or what 2018 in gaming meant! Just post post post! Happy new year y’all! :partying_face:

I’ll start! Here are all the games I’ve played this year, emoji reviewed:

EDIT: I just realized that I missed three games that I played in 2018. For the sake of completion, here they are:

Games I played for the first time this year:

• Trails in the Sky SC
  • Prey
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Super Mega Baseball 2
  • The Pinball Arcade
  • Entwined
  • Suikoden
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Motorstorm
  • Hitman 2
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Return of the Obra Dinn

Hitman 2 and Obra Dinn are the only ones I finished. I guess I had a bad year.

My top four games of 2018:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be the final Smash game and I would be happy. Everything, from the excellent World of Light mode, to its gigantic roster, to the varied assist trophies, all the way down to its tagline of “Everyone Is Here!”, represents the definitive version of the series’ goal to be the ultimate party game and trip through Nintendo’s history. There’s probably a lot of finer differences that I couldn’t point out because this is the first SSB game I’ve ever really gotten super into, but it doesn’t matter because everyone is allowed at the table to SMASH!

dc_keyart
Even if the brevity of Donut County wasn’t a welcome reprieve during my absolutely packed 2018, even if the dirt simple controls in conjunction with the story told an insightful commentary on gentrification that anyone can play, EVEN IF THE TRASH-O-PEDIA WASN’T THE FUNNIEST THING OF THE YEAR, I would still love it. Katamari Damacy is one of my all-time top three and DC scratches that itch so hard and so satisfyingly (Katamari Damacy Rerolled is also excellent, thanks for asking).

If you were to judge a game’s value based on how much raw enjoyment you got out of it Forza Horizon 4 is easily my GOTY. This rolling, sprawling, odyssey of speed had me jubilant and ascendant whenever I would switch it on and the way the world unfolds made it feel like the rush never had to end. I’ve never done LSD, but the mix of feelings I had playing Horizon has got to come pretty motherfucking close.

Look, I know. I know. I KNOW! I don’t expect anything I type here to sway ya’ll to my side, I have made peace with the fact that I am the distinct minority when it comes to this game on this forum. I understand and sympathize with the multiple ways that others found it simply aggravating but damn it, the fact is, almost everything about Red Dead Redemption 2 had me TRANSFIXED. Transfixed enough that I’ve spent the last few hours editing this post just so I could elaborate my thoughts at least.

Red Dead is the most I have ever truly sunk into a game’s world, planning out my activities in a way that made sense for Arthur Morgan, Rockstar’s best protagonist yet, and would most benefit Dutch, Rockstar’s best antagonist yet, and the Van Der Linde gang. The control scheme, while undeniably fussy, really helped me go out of my way to be the guy I was playing and once I learned a good way to tweak the look sensitivity, I even started free aiming. Which ruled.

The story does not start off on the strongest foot, borrowing a bit too heavily from RDR1’s use of “the end of the frontier” as a theme, but it eventually grows into a beautiful, heartbreaking, life-affirming, melodrama of trying to do your absolute best with the time you have left on earth and a tragedy of watching a family tear itself apart. As a prequel whose events are basically never mentioned in the previous game, it’s pretty easy to tell how things are going to play out, who’s going to die and who’s gonna turn heel, but R* found a way to make it incredibly affecting regardless and there were several instances where I was simply inconsolable with grief. That being said, there are spots where the narrative doesn’t come together, the arc of Eagle Flies and Rains Fall chiefly, and some of the side content still suffers from this studio’s stereotypical bullshit, the stranger mission involving the invention of the electric chair drove me up the wall. In the end though, the positives ended up far outweighing the negatives.

In some ways, RDR2 represents what AAA games should be doing. “Oh, you have more money than God? Then go buckwild on a bunch of weird systems and new ways to interact with a game world. Some of them may not land, but at least you showed it can be done”

Finally, so it doesn’t seem like I’m purely lionizing R*, NOTHING I have said previously is in any way meant to excuse the, by most accounts terrible, conditions in which this game was created. Video games are made by real human beings, not magical elves, and if never having this game meant people didn’t have to work themselves to the bone (the irony of RDR2’s take on capitalist exploitation isn’t lost on me), I would gladly make that trade. If it means anything, I hope this game truly kickstarts the conversation that needs to be had about the true value of labor in the game industry and greater appreciation for the workers that make this great medium a reality.

You played some awesome games this year judging by that list. Finishing games is overrated IMO. If you enjoyed yourself, then I say you had a good year (gaming wise)!

@trty0: I just started playing Donut County this weekend and it may just be the funniest thing I’ve experienced this year , in games or otherwise.

I uh, wrote up an actual blog post because I’m a nerd. I’m gonna write another one of games that came out before 2018, because I played too many games this year.

The short version, in order from 9 to 1 (because discourse won’t let me make a list with decreasing values):

• Deltarune

• Smash Ultimate

• God of War

• The Messenger

• Iconoclasts

• Dead Cells

• Into the Breach

• Forza Horizon 4

• Celeste

In case it’s not obvious, I really like platformers.

Edit: Happy new year’s, other nerds. Love y’all.

I, am also a nerd, and also wrote a blog post.

Didn’t do a numbered list because it felt weird, so I just talked about my favourite games. Celeste ran away with GOTY for me though, the soundtrack, the platforming, the art and the story all combined into a transcendental experience for me.

Final list:

I’m a future nerd, as I plan to write a blog post, but I’ll just drop my list for the good peeps of the Waypoint forum.

10 Monster Hunter: World
9 God of War
8 Spider-Man
7 Pokemon Let’s Go
6 The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
5 Donut County
4 Dragon Ball FighterZ
3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2 The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
1 Celeste

I haven’t played as much 2018 games as I wanted this year. I took like a long gaming break in the fall for reasons that are unclear to me. But I played a few things, didn’t finish a lot of them. And I’ll rank them from best to worst:

1. Celeste
  2. Into the Breach
  3. Captain Toad on Switch
  4. God of War
  5. Iconoclasts
  6. Delta Rune
  7. Octopath Traveler (DNF - just got exhausted halfway through the Chapter 4s.)
  8. Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee
  9. Smash 5
  10. Dead Cells
  11. Captain Spirit
  12. Dandara
  13. Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
  14. And the demo for Metal Gear Survive, which was total garbage.

As for non-2018 stuff, I actually got through quite a lot:

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Zero Escape Trilogy
  3. Super Metroid
  4. Resident Evil VII (did not finish because I was scared)
  5. SOMA (did not finish because I was scared)
  6. Oxenfree
  7. FEZ
  8. Donkey Kong Country
  9. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Folks I made a darn video!

If you’re not into watching me vamp in my childhood closet, here’s a text list of my ten favorites:
10 - Happy Birthdays
9 - Flat Heroes
8 - LONG LIVE THE AXE
7 - Football Game
6 - The Gardens Between
5 - Dandara
4 - Yoku’s Island Express
3 - Unavowed
2 - Super Mega Baseball 2
1 - Celeste

I usually make some kind of list at the end of the year, but for some reason I’ve been really into it here at the end of 2018. For one thing I still have boundless enthusiasm for my GOTY, Hollow Knight, and I tried to dig into that a bit. Here’s the twitter thread of my whole top 10:

Except for #1 they aren’t in any particular order.

Shout outs to the ol streaming community VGZ which is almost a decade old now, geez.

(short form list)
Hollow Knight
Yakuza 6
Mooncrash (Prey DLC)
Into the Breach
Monster Hunter World
Dillon’s Dead Heat Breakers
Octopath Traveller
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Nintendo Labo
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

This isn’t a comprehensive list of all the games I’ve played this year, but here are some that I really enjoyed!

• Persona 5

I beat this back in March (started it in late 2017). It’s my favorite game I’ve ever played. It has the best turn based combat from any game I’ve ever played. It’s challenging, but offers a way to take down enemies before they even get a chance to attack back. This type of combat works for them as well—if they have a good move they can get a TPKO. While the larger story was decent, I really came to love the characters. Sloane Cee wrote this article for Waypoint about how the characters aren’t truly marginalized, and I get it, but to me they just felt like outsiders until they found their home in the Phantom Thieves. As someone who felt like I didn’t belong anywhere until I discovered the ska/punk/straight edge scene in my hometown, their stories resonated with me. It’s a stylish game that I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Celeste

I finished playing this yesterday, and after over 1,700 deaths I don’t think I ever felt frustrated. It’s a masterpiece of game design with a touching story. While I wouldn’t recommend Persona 5 to everyone, I think Celeste is a phenomenal game.

• Bloodborne

I was intimidated by this game until I started watching Big Boy Season at work. I got it on sale and played the ever living hell out of it. It’s not enjoyable, but it’s great. This game made me feel more accomplished than perhaps any other game I’ve played. Beating it showed me I could be good at hard games. I’ve also written 2 essays about it for my critical theory classes!

• Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee

I really enjoyed this game. The controller options are terrible, the post-game content is lacking, and it’s never challenging. But I’ll be darned if it isn’t cute as heck, and a fresh take on the Pokémon Franchise

• Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I threw this on because I had an absolute blast playing this game with family over the holidays. My wife needed her inhaler after a laughing attack while playing it with her family, and my brother and I had some heated Megaman v. Pit matches that also ended in laughing attacks. It’s good, but it’s the experiences playing it with family that made it good.

I made a list on GB with little write-ups, but the short version (in no particular order):

• Dead Cells
  • Heaven Will Be Mine
  • Into the Breach
  • The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories
  • Vampyr
  • Deltarune
  • Two Point Hospital
  • Battletech
  • Dandara
  • Extreme Meatpunks Forever

I compiled my list over at Giant Bomb, like I do every year for the past few years. It’s mostly just a fun excercise for me to get my ideas down about the games I enjoyed even if no one reads them. Sometimes it’s a good year, sometimes it’s a fine year, sometimes I feel incredibly strongly about a couple of the games like I do this year.

I’m not done writing, and my list won’t be public till a week after initial publishing for my backers, but I can at least share the games on it here. Note that I listed games I played, not just ones that released in 2018.

1. The Last Dogma
    1. DmC: Devil May Cry (don’t @ me)
    1. A Golden Wake
    1. Night of the Rabbit
    1. Pillars of Eternity
    1. Mass Effect 2
    1. Lamplight City/Unavowed
    1. The Hex
    1. Spec Ops: The Line
    1. The 25th Ward: The Silver Case

I’ve never done end of year lists but y’all inspired me to look back at this year. Most of these were not released in 2018, but here’s a list of 4 games that were significant to me for various reasons this year.

Total War: Warhammer 2 (from 2017 with multiple DLC released this year)

After I got familiar with this game it became comfort food for me. A single campaign would take dozens of hours and there was always more stuff to try, some of it fun and goofy (lizards riding dinosaurs, zombie pirates with guns). It’s a great strategy game, and the combination of Warhammer and Total War is a wonderful combination, but it’s hardly ground breaking and also its politics are garbage.

XCOM 2 (from 2016, with major DLC released in 2017, and minor DLC released this year)

I played a lot of XCOM 2 last year, but I started making mods for it at the beginning of this year. It was my first foray into modding, and the experience of building tiny quality of life mods that folks actually downloaded and used was one of the most gratifying experiences of the year. And of course I started following Waypoint from the XCOM streams, and Waypoint has become a big part of my gaming experience, so those XCOM streams were pivotal too.

Twilight Struggle (board game released ages ago, digital version from 2016)

This is sort of a stand-in for GMT Games in general. I did play a ton of the PC version of Twilight Struggle, but only because I got back into board games, and more specifically the COIN games from GMT. Playing historical games from GMT this year lead me to interrogate my own historical ignorance, and try to fill in some of those gaps. Twilight Struggle is a great game on its own of course, and the PC implementation is a masterpiece of a digital board game implementation.

Into the Breach (actually from this year)

I got into bicycle racing in 2017, so this year was my second year of competition. I’m still a beginner and I’m not very good, and the racing I do is pretty low stakes. But it’s a serious source of anxiety for me. I started playing ITB when it was released in February, and I would play it while eating breakfast every morning. It pairs really well with oatmeal and coffee! By the time the racing season started up in April, it had become a habit. They say you should never change anything on race day, you should eat the same breakfast you always do. So for my 6 weekend race days in April, I’d eat oatmeal and play ITB, and then go race. Normally, race days are fraught with anxiety and are extremely difficult for me, and playing ITB didn’t change that, but it smoothed those mornings out a little bit.

Happy new year, folks! I procrastinated a bit, but like some of the folks above, I am also a nerd, and also made a blog post.

For the TL;DR, here’s my list:

1. Dandara
    1. Dead Cells
    1. Florence
    1. Battletech
    1. Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate
    1. The Missing: J.J. MacField and the Isle of Memories
    1. Subnautica
    1. Wandersong
    1. Celeste
    1. Into the Breach

These are the games I played and finished or beat in 2018. I also started some games I didn’t finish, like Mafia 3, but I don’t write them down for some reason.
In chronological order, with my opinion:

Monster Hunter World (Love it)
Minit (Great)
Ghost Trick (Hell yeah!)
Final Fantasy XV (Nah)
Final Fantasy VII (Bury me with a copy of this game)
Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (Actually surprised at how garbage it was)
Final Fantasy IX (Excellent)
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (Cool)
Final Fantasy XII (Brilliant. Not influential enough)
Destiny 2 (Meh)
Hitman 2 (Yo!)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Giddy up!)

I put my list up on my newly-revived and curently-unfurbished blog. I tried to keep it breif while also writing a little on each of the 7 games.

I kept the list down to just games that came out this year, even if that included rereleases, so there’s nothing about how DmC still Owns, and only a passing mention of how much I love Tales of Berseria’s characters. I might have played some more old stuff as well but honestly I can’t remember? A lot of this year seems to have sunk into the Memory Void and I do not like it.

10. Marvel’s Spiderman - After playing and enjoying the main campaign of this game, I was inspired to actually visit New York City the week before Christmas. Playing Spiderman did give me a better knowledge of the layout of Manhattan. After returning, I jumped back into the game having now experienced NYC for real as well as to check out the DLC. If I’m honest I sort of wish I hadn’t as the DLC is a little lacking compared to the story of the main game and let’s face it real NYC is better than virtual Spidey NYC. That said, really liked the characterisation of Peter, was made sad by the way the story ends. I guess the game just feels a little empty once it is over?

9. Sea of Thieves - Sometimes I just have this game running idle in the background, so I can watch the ocean roll by. What’s that Herman Melville quote? “Yes, as everyone knows, meditation and water are forever wedded.” Some may say the game lacks content. Others may say you bring your own fun. I just know that it has the best looking ocean ever conceived in a video game.

8. Red Dead Redemption - As much as I had problems with this game - the endless shooting galleries that really grated towards the end as well as Rockstar’s penchant to include stereotypical foreign perverts as sidequests. The highs of that game lie in the detail of the natural world, the characterisation of Arthur and the anti 2018 game design mantra of mandatory ambling. I just wish they had better editorial control because there is rich stuff here that surpasses the emotion of most other games. Having finished the main story, I really don’t think I can go back to it though. It’s too heartbreaking.

7. Black Ops 4 - All the characters are assholes, especially the one that says ‘Schwacked’ whenever he racks up a kill but all their various Overwatch abilities do keep the core MP interesting. I liked PubG but was terrible at it. BlackOut is definitely more my speed and feels more polished.

6. God of War - I think from start to finish, God of War was probably my favourite of the big games released this year. The world was rich, the artistic design was amazing and I loved having the talking head tell me all about this world of Norse Mythology. I think they just about made Kratos into a more grounded character and although Atreus could be a little shit at times, I found their attempts to Bond to be really well written and full of gravitas. Just a shame that this level of writing couldn’t be given to some of the female characters and I guess they can’t go all into Norse mythology yet as they’re saving the big guns for the sequels. Unlike RDR2, I do feel compelled to play this through again.

5. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - I feel like a lot of people caved and got a PS VR this year, I know all the dudes at Giant Bomb did. As profound as Tetris Effect was to play, like how that transition from camel riders in the desert takes us to the surface of the moon did solicit a single tear from me, a tear of immense proud positive feeling about the human race in this year of 2018, I thought Astro Bot was a joyous cacophony of ideas. As soon as he jumped out of the controller and waved back up at me. I was smitten. This game just begs you to lean in and observe all the detail and all the colours.

4. Forza Horizon 4 - Just a sublime racing game that plays about as good as it looks. The change of the seasons change the world significantly and the Forza Live events are just a fantastic way of bringing players together in a parade of sick drifts. As a British person it feels nice to have this little slab of virtual Britain before everything goes down the Brexit toilet.

3. Jurassic World Alive - It’s Pokemon Go but with dinosaurs and everyone knows dinosaurs are better than pokemon. Seriously, waking up in the morning and checking what’s around to discover a Tarbosaur or Deniochirus are walking around outside gives me strength. These will be C-list dinos to most people, made up latin names to others, but 8 year old me remembers them well.

2. Celeste - Celeste came out at the start of the year and quickly made a buzz, the meatboy esque platforming wrapped around just a really great story about someone battling their inner demons whilst climbing a big mountain. It’s the kind of story that could be told with a movie, but I think as a game it’s just as well told.

1. Into The Breach - I specifically awaited for this on Switch and thankfully didn’t have to wait too long. I love how on the surface it feels so simple. 4 turns upon a chessboard, 3 mechs with different movesets and abilities - hordes of kaiju bugs you can either destroy or manage to cause as little damage to the human populace as possible. The tactical depth of the game is astounding and I just love the nightmarish tone of the forever war.

Have not yet played Return of the Obrah Din yet, based on what I’ve heard - I imagine it’s extremely my jam.

I’ve played a lot of Dead Cells too. Last year. It’s a 2017 game.

Also everyone should play Subnautica. Again I’ve been playing it since 2016 but it got it’s official release this year and it’s probably one of the finest exploration/survival games out there at the moment.