Post your 2018 gaming lists/writeups!

GOTY 2018

1: Prey: Mooncrash

Prey still stands in my mind as one of the all time greats and this is a smart as hell rework of it. Not a lot else to say it just distills the things that game did last year into an immensely smart roguelike and manages a lot more story out of the formula than you might expect

2: Destiny 2: Forsaken

By far my most played game of the year as it turns out that if you move cross country with no job prospects but still have a gaming PC something like this is really great at filling time you should be spending on anything else! Also while I have my qualms about some of the changes like the random rolls and don’t really think the weapon system rework is the revelation it’s made out to be it’s still destiny at the best it’s been in a long time. I just hope they screw it up by paying too much attention to reddit and not enough to all the other people that play the game with the first new DLC already feeling a bit like a second job. Which is saying a lot as again, I don’t have a first one

3: Into The Breach

This is a game I loved with a passion when it first came out but is so lacking in rough edges that I can’t help but see it less as a thing I loved and more like a thing I am to admire like a renaissance painting that I am told is a classic but no longer holds room for me to place myself in. Still as far as backhanded compliments go that’s still a hell of a compliment

4: Hades

Supergiant knows how to make a game look, sound, feel, and read well and this one is already in a state where I thought about giving it the number one slot but it’s just a tad stiff and there’s just not quite enough there. Still it’s nice to know what the 2020 game of the year will be

5: Stellaris

The first strategy game to really grab me in a very long time its focus on empire management and story vignettes made it scratch more of a Dwarf Fortress with a UI itch than a Civ one but I’m fine with that. Long may the empire of Uncomfortably Sexual Space Foxes reign!

6: Oxygen Not Included

Speaking of Dwarf Fortress this is a great take on the DF genre that has only gotten better as it has seen more updates, and with it being largely done save some polish it’s finally the one game in this genre I feel like I can recommend to people curious to try it that don’t want to dive in to the woodchipper that is Dwarf Fortress

7: Wizard Of Legend

This game is a lot like Hades but plays better and is more finished but also lacks almost everything else Hades has in spades. It’s still very good no doubt but if you feel like diving in I advise skipping the Switch version as it has a slowdown problem that holds it back a little despite otherwise being a good fit for the platform

8: Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire

I have issues with the games handling of things like colonialism and slavery but it never crossed past eyeroll territory in what I saw so for being the best playing game in this CRPG subgenre I’ll give it the nod here with the understanding that this is a personal list and not a buyers guide to be taken at face value

9: Monster Hunter World

Finally they made one of these that is something akin to approachable/It’s a lot of fun to go in and beat the crap out of some dragons and I don’t regret getting the PC version along with the PS4 one (Though I do regret that I did not get a physical PS4 copy for resale reasons) I still find it to be rather shallow with most of the games learning curve being based around going to youtube and finding the two to three combos you will need for your weapon of choice and repeating them ad nauseam. Which after all the hype the series has gotten for it’s obscene depth is a letdown for me. Also the colonialism sucks a whole lot and I can’t help but feel like it should have been hit harder for that

10: God Of War

If I am to be totally honest with you this is in many ways my actual Game Of The Year. Much like Horizon last year this is a game who systems all clicked and whose story spoke to me on a very personal level with Horizons climate change allegory striking at the perfect time and the father son relationship in God Of War speaking to my relationship to my mother but much like Horizon last year this game simply fucks up too much for me to love it the way I want to even as the way it falls only serves to remind me of the ways my mother did

Honorable mentions:

Warhammer Vermintide 2

Left 4 Dead is good and I like loot

Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark

The best of the games to try and emulate Final Fantasy Tactics this game would be on the list proper if it was out or if I liked the art a bit more. Still I look forward to the full game being out greatly

Ni No Kuni II

Unlike the last Ni No Kuni this game seems to not be actively bad I just wish I had found more time for it

Dishonorable mentions

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, Neir Automata, and Persona 5

I still hate these games a Whole Lot and went out of my way to avoid games I suspected I would have the same issues with which if nothing else has lead to a lot less angry disappointment in game of the year lists

Divinity Original Sin II

I played through this whole game in co op and it was great and I like it a lot, and if Larian would fire their art directer and hire someone who doesn’t think “race of elves who are close to nature” should mean the tackiest case of the boob armors I have seen in years and use those funds to hire some forum moderators so that maybe I wouldn’t have been harassed off of them than maybe it would be my GOTY! But they didn’t so nah

Best Game I Played All Year

Bloodborne is real good y’all

My Goty 2018 List :slight_smile:

1. Paratopic
  2. Hitman 2
  3. Return of the Obra Dinn
  4. Prey: Mooncrash
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2
  6. The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Into the Breach
  9. Fugue in Void
  10. Dusk

Honorable Mentions: Spy Party (great game, would be better with matchmaking), Celeste (great game, story didn’t really land for me as a depression/anxiety experiencer), Below (plan to play a lot more of this game!)

Dishonorable Mentions: God of War (maybe the worst experience I’ve had with a game in my life), Dead Cells (loved it in early access, was really disappointed by a lot of the content added)

Also, I know I put up a stink about RDR2 with the whole labor debacle. A co-worker of mine gave me his copy when it didn’t click with him, and I ended up really enjoying the game. The labor problems hung over the whole experience, but I found the story and themes were subtle and affecting. It’s like 20-30 hours too long though.

I ended up writing another ~7k words this year about video games. If you want to read them at length here they are: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/starvinggamers-games-worth-starving-for-or-otherwi-1860349/

My top 10 ended up have a lot of surprises in it

1. Monster Hunter: World
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. BattleTech
  4. Florence
  5. The Missing: J.J. MacField and the Island of Memories
  6. Magic: The Gathering Arena
  7. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  8. Celeste
  9. Octopath Traveler
  10. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle

2017 was a year full of challenging narratives that rocked me to the depths of my soul. 2018 was more a year for comfort food games which I suppose I needed because woof. It is a bit funny that the two things that most defined my youth, MTG and BattleTech, finally received worthy game versions.

Here’s my full written list if you’re still interested!

5: Battletech (I only played a few missions then decided to wait until the patch and then never picked it up again. Jumping back in shortly.)
4: Smash Ultimate
3: Battlefield V
2: Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition
1: Hollow Knight

I still need to play some good 2018 games in 2019, especially Heaven Will Be Mine, Donut County, and Spiderman, but my current list is something like this:

1. Life Is Strange 2: Episode 1
  2. Celeste
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. Return of the Obra Dinn
  5. Wandersong
  6. Vampyr
  7. Unavowed
  8. Florence
  9. Yakuza 0
  10. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

I was debating on whether to start LiS 2 or Celeste next. I think your list just pushed me in DONTNOD’s direction!

They’re both wonderful, but I found this new chapter of Life Is Strange so compelling. It’s the one game that I haven’t been able to stop thinking about since I played it from last year. (I’ve actually been thinking I need to play it again before the second episode comes out.) They handle a lot of difficult themes really well, and I though the music and environments were perfect. Can’t wait to see where it goes.

Obviously this depends on what kind of time you have available and your personal preference, but I feel like it’s totally possible to double up on those.

I haven’t played LiS2 yet so I can’t necessarily speak to what kind of a commitment that is, but I played Celeste almost entirely in 1-hour sessions before work and it didn’t hamper my experience at all.

That sounds like a reasonable idea! I think I finished LiS 2 in about four hours, but it sort of has chapters that are an hour-ish long that you could probably jump in and out of without a ton of trouble. (Of course, I played it all in one sitting and it worked very well for me that way.)

1 - HOLLOW KNIGHT!
3 - INTO THE BREACH (would be 2 if I was better at it)
? - ALL OUR ASIAS
5 - OXENFREE tied with DONUT COUNTY
9 - GOD OF WAR (Something about it grabbed me hard, and it wasn’t the father-son stuff really, honestly I don’t know what it was, but the game really did me in, despite the bad women stuff. Idk)
19 - RDR2 (Should have leaned harder into just being a horse and fishing simulator.)
99 - BLACK OPS 4 (I should have known better - this was the first cod game I played since high school, and the second I started playing I was reminded of what a shitty, entitled, and fundamentally angry person I was in high school, and that I still have that lurking in me. Trash hitboxes.)

Here is mine!

(Or, if you don’t want to click: Octo Expansion, Dragon Quest 11, Bandori, Hollow Knight, Smash, Mario Tennis, Tetris Effect, Dragalia Lost, Celeste, Cold Steel 2)

I just finished LiS 2 Ep 1 and oh boy, this game is gonna wreck me. It brings some hard shit to the feelings game and I am absolutely here for it. But if anything truly bad happens to the brothers I don’t know if I can handle it.

I’m so glad you liked it! I feel the same way. If anybody fucks with that kid blood will be spilled. Also that phone call at the end messed me up real bad.

LiS 2 Ep 1 endgame spoilers:

I’ve watched too many spy movies where the first move is to ditch your phone when on the run. I never called Lyla, and while I feel bad about it, I’m taking no risks. I’m tempted to check out the convo on YouTube, but I think it’s truer to my playthrough that I don’t.

Here’s a ranking of the 2018 games I beat, with write-ups to come later this week.

19 - A Case of Distrust
18 - Minit
17 - The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
16 - Gris
15 - Quarantine Circular
14 - Marvel’s Spider-Man
13 - Celeste
12 - Florence
11 - The Gardens Between
10 - Donut County
9 - Iconoclasts
8 - Red Dead Redemption II
7 - Vampyr
6 - Into the Breach
5 - Hitman 2
4 - Dead Cells
3 - Monster Hunter: World
2 - God of War
1 - Return of the Obra Dinn

With of course da real mvp of 2018 being Hollow Knight on the Switch because damn it is a ~Game of the Generation~ contender, broke into my personal favorite games of all time, and helped me get through a tough time in my life.

Also, I didn’t include Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 even though I adore it because I am a weirdo about technicalities. If the rest of the season lives up to the excellence of that first episode, I can definitely see it being my 2019 GOTY.

I totally get your rationale for your choice and thought that myself, but I just had to roleplay what a teen would do in such a high-pressure situation, so I went with the emotional decision. Hooboy yeah that phone call destroyed me.

Games I wish I had gotten around to last year and will 100% play this year:

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
Prey: Mooncrash
Paratopic
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Wandersong

Here are some games I played in 2018 that I liked, loosely arranged by how much I like them:

Hitman 2
Battletech
Prey: Mooncrash
Into the Breach
Celeste
Return of the Obra Dinn
Assassins Creed: Origins
Paratopic
Yoku’s Island Express
Pyre

Honorable Mentions, because why stop at 10? I played more than 10 good games and I want to give them all credit.

Money Puzzle Exchanger
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Forza Horizon 4
The Red Strings Club
Life is Strange 2 (Make the phone call!)

I had more to say for each of the games on my Game of the Year list than I expected, so I made a giant bomb list for my expanded thoughts on each game.

The list without any of the extended thoughts is as follows:

10 - Donut County
9 - Minit
8 - Return of the Obra Dinn
7 - Heaven Will Be Mine
6 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5 - Spider-Man
4 - Tetris Effect
3 - Deltarune
2 - Into the Breach
1 - Celeste

Honorable Mention - Jazztronauts

I plan on writing a blog post with small writeups for all of these games, but I want to share my ranking of all the games I finished in 2018 now. Lol.

29 Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
28 Code Of Princess
27 Retro City Rampage DX
26 Grand Theft Auto V
25 Tokyo Crash Mobs
24 Muramasa Rebirth
23 The Legend Of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
22 Retro Game Challenge
21 The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
20 Picross DS
19 Vanquish
18 Xenoblade Chronicles 3D