PS+ July Games: Until Dawn and Game of Thrones

[U.S. blog post] (https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/28/ps-plus-free-games-for-july-2017/)

Until Dawn is a PlayStation exclusive survival horror adventure where eight friends are trapped together on a remote mountain retreat, and they aren’t alone. You can play as each of the eight characters and experience fear like never before, where every decision you make could mean the difference between life and death!

Next up, we have Telltale’s Game of Thrones series. You’ll get all six episodes, which follows the family of House Forrester as they survive (Or don’t?) the War of the Five Kings. Winter is Coming, and this is a great way to beat the summer heat.

Full lineup:
Until Dawn, PS4
Game of Thrones, PS4
Tokyo Jungle, PS3
Darkstalkers Resurrection, PS3
Element4l, PS Vita
Don’t Die, Mr. Robot, PS Vita (Cross Buy on PS4)

That’s You is also a bonus game for the next couple of months.

Additionally, from July 4 through October 24 all PlayStation Plus members can get That’s You in celebration of PlayLink’s launch. That’s You sets you off on a journey of discovery with up to five of your friends and family, where you can find out what you really think about each other.

Joining the fun is easy: all you need is your smartphone or tablet and the free companion app. Snap a selfie and enjoy tons of funny questions, texting games, and drawing challenges.

Hope its the same for the UK. Always wanted to give Until Dawn a try,

Anyone played Until Dawn and have thoughts? I kind of remember that getting a wide swath of reactions when it came out.

Is it worth it for someone who’s typically too tense to play horror games? (Say, perhaps someone who hasn’t touched a console horror game since freaking out very early on in Resident Evil 4…)

I enjoyed Until Dawn. The story was written well enough, as far as horror goes. The characters are trope-y but that’s to be expected. The twist is decent if not a bit obvious, or perhaps it was just telegraphed well. Though, let it be known ahead of time that if you want all the characters to survive you might need a guide. I had two characters die and one was definitely my fault, I pushed the wrong button in a quick-time sequence, but the other one died because I was supposed to grab an item in an area I didn’t know I could explore. All in all, it’s a fairly competent choice based horror game. It’s definitely worth at least one playthrough, especially if you’re getting it for free.

@a_sapien What was it about Resident Evil 4 that made you freak out? That’s might make or break a recommendation.

[Playstation UK tweeted] (https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/880086137615896576) out Until Dawn and Game of Thrones as July’s games too, so you should get them.

Tokyo-Mother-Fucking-Jungle

That game is the fucking SHIT right there.

Either co-op or solo, just a great arcade experience with enjoyable weird af story.

Also Darkstalkers wooo

I’m a total wimp when it comes to videogames. I don’t like FPS because it’s too personal and I can barely even watch horror games anymore. I have to make the window tiny and watch through my fingers.

Seriously. I think I screamed at a Tattletale playthrough. I’m pretty bad.

I managed to play about a third of Until Dawn before noping out and watching the rest through a Let’s Play (and to be clear, it was its suspense that got to me, not its content), but I think it’s worthwhile even having played just a third. It aims to be a stereotypical horror movie in its story, so the fun of it is in controlling the characters and determining their fates. It kind of feels like a western visual novel with high production values? If you like that kind of stuff, definitely give it go.

What I personally found most egregious was its handling of a particular character and the kind of gross treatment of the mentally ill, but that’s also a common trope in horror, so while I was very disappointed by it, I don’t think it’s worse than most other horror movies. Even with that, it’s probably one of my favorite games that I mostly watched. It’s also excellent for playing with a friend, so if you can, enlist a brave controller jockey to get through the scary parts (the grizzly scenes are mostly in the final act).

I would actually say that if you have a tendency to get tense or anxious while playing horror games, then Until Dawn may not be a good fit for you.

Not really a spoiler but I’ll blur it anyway: every playable character can die if you make certain wrong decisions or fail certain actions, so getting tense during certain sequences carries “real” consequences, which can be bad for anxiety. But if that’s fine with you, then give it a shot. It’s super cheesy, and the teens are all total tools, which makes it all kind of hilarious.

(Side note: I’m not a fan of the game’s depiction/appropriation of Native American iconography and mythology.)

Sounds like it’s worth a shot, then!

Basically the stuff was RE4’s first level, when the villagers start swarming and the tension of being overwhelmed is

I do enjoy horror movies, even ones with the obvious tropes, so that’s a good sign. Thanks for the descriptions, @MFJubes and @dosymedia - sad/funny that what it brings from horror movies also seems to be poor depictions of mental illness and Native American culture…

I don’t think there is really anything to play on that idea of being swarmed in the game form what I remember. There are definitely some very tense chase/being hunted sequences though, including one that takes place walking through an area that is full of chest high water. I did have to pause and mentally prepare myself for that, if I’m being honest.

It is very much an interactive B horror movie above all else. For better or worse.

Until Dawn is the sort of game that David Cage thinks he’s making in his wildest dreams but is about a thousand times better than any game David Cage could ever make. Absolutely a fun time if you’re looking for B-movie horror with just the right amount of self-awareness; the developers clearly knew what sort of game they were making and just gleefully ran with it.

Also, I still can’t believe I apparently did better than most every Youtuber in existence by getting all the way through that hallway chase as Sam without getting caught by the killer on my first try. I even got a trophy for it.

[The games are now out.] (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/home/hcid=STORE-MSF77008-MOBILEPLUSCAT)