PS+ October Games: MGS V and Amnesia: Collection

This month’s free list of games is the same for both North America and Europe.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/27/ps-plus-free-games-for-october-2017/

First up, we have the blockbuster hit Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain. The epic Metal Gear series picks up nine years after the events of MGSV: Ground Zeroes and the fall of Mother Base. An epic game for PS Plus members to replay again, or to check out for the very first time.

Next, we have Amnesia: Collection, which contains both The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs. Start this one up at night with the lights off — if you’re feeling brave.

Other games:

• Monster Jam Battlegrounds, PS3
  • Hustle Kings, PS3
  • Hue, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
  • Sky Force Anniversary, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4 & PS3)

I’ve never played a Metal Gear game. Is MGSV going to be complete utter nonsense to me?

I’m wondering the same thing.

MGSV is nonsense to everyone. Arguably beautiful nonsense (with a good dose of misogyny) but nonsense just the same

What little story MGSV has is nonsense. But I’d say 90% of the game is open-world sandbox so don’t even think about it as a MGS game. It’s truly an open-world game with MGS set dressing.

MGSV is the only Metal Gear game I’ve ever played and I loved the shit out of it. Didn’t really have a lot of context or a real appreciation for the characters but it’s hard not to get swept up in Kojima’s over the top theatrics. Would recommend it to anyone who’s got 100+ hours or so to kill

Honestly? Probably less so than if you had played all the other MGS games.

It’s a Metal Gear Solid game. It’s complete and utter nonsense regardless (I mean that in the best possible way, and as a huge fan of the series).

If you’re wondering if you’ll like it, think about how much you like Meta-commentary - the Metal Gear series is often working first on the layer of war and it’s complex horrible nature, and secondly on a layer of breaking the simulation between the player and the character. If you like both of those, it’s awesome! If you like one, you may be annoyed when it does the other. If you don’t care about either, you will probably hate the game.

Story-wise it’s utterly nonsensical trash but it’s still one of my favourite games of 2015. Play MGS1 to 4 if you’re looking for a good ass story time.

Really great MGSV is part of the ps-plus monthly games, I feel like replaying it but even on the PC there’s no multiple save slots. I wonder if there’s a mod for that now.

MGSV is, unlike the other MGS games, quite nonsense. But playing it in isolation probably makes the story better. It has the worst story of them all. Or at least storytelling and presentation and that. But if you don’t know how good it can be that won’t matter as much.

Kinda bummed that the big PS+ title is yet again something I’ve played to bits. But obviously a good get.

As mentioned, utter nonsense regardless, but hot damn was that game fun to play–which isn’t a thing you could ever really say about Metal Gear Solid before.

Definitely up there when it comes to PS+ games. The Amnesia collection’s a good get as well.

Maybe now I’ll finally stop putting off those Amensia games.

By which I mean, maybe they can take up space on a whole new machine.

MGSV’s story is incomplete nonsense, and that’s coming from someone who is really into the story of MGS1-3. The gameplay however, is second to none. It is the greatest stealth-action game ever made. I would highly recommend giving it a try even if you’ve never played a Metal Gear. The game also begins with an insanely well produced hour long cinematic intro before drastically opening up.

Y’all, MGS V is great and all, but secretly the best game in this lineup is Hue. Seriously, please play this 2D puzzle game. It’s bloody brilliant. Most overlooked game of 2016. It’s beautiful, clever and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome.

I just imported a 64GB vita memory card and finished the book I was reading on my breaks at work, so this is good timing.

The games are now out.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

I had no interest in MGSV…but now I want to play around in this sandbox I guess?

I’ve never really excited to play the Amnesia: Collection. I’ve been looking for a good horror game for October.

Debating whether I’m going to download MGS V. I keep looking at how long it takes to beat, and I don’t know if I want to feel that type of commitment :sweat:

It’s free. There’s no commitment. Play only 5-10 hours if you want. The story is incomplete, and the ending won’t matter much to someone who isn’t invested in the overarching series, so there’s even less reason for feel commitment compared to other free games.You have nothing to lose by downloading it (unless you have data-capped internet).