PS4 External HDD'S, surprising benefits

As someone who’s only ever lived off the 500gb built in storage for my PS4, I’ve been pretty keen on expanding it with a 2 or even 4TB drive since Sony released firmware 4.50 with external HDD support.

Of course, Digital Foundry is the one to turn to for the info here: PS4 external storage tested: 4TB hard drive vs SSD performance and I was quite surprised to find that using just a regular HDD is actually better than the regular in built storage for load times. I really thought it would be the other way round.

Does anyone else here use external hard drives for their PS4? Do you find it’s been ok, no issues with using one long term?

If i had to guess, the reason the external is faster is because its probably a 7200 rpm drive, whereas the internal drive is likely a 5400 rpm one. If the externals interface is USB3 then its not a bottleneck really at all.

Been using an external HDD since 4.5 and didn’t encounter any problems or anomalies so far. Very pleased with them finally adding this option!