PSA: Phantom Brigade out in Early Access today

Alt History, Mechs, and Tactical Precognition. I suspect if you are here, then at least some of this is your BS :slight_smile:

I was in the alpha for this, and honestly, it’s every bit of an addicting tactical loop as it looks. What’s largely finished now is the structure of the combat, mech customization and development, the basic strategic loop, and the hooks to deliver narrative content. What’s missing is a lot of the meat that will go on that bone. I still wholeheartedly recommend it.

Happy to answer Q’s if y’all have them.

5 Likes

I’ll throw out the answer to the inevitable question I and likely many others had: Only the early access is Epic exclusive.

Here’s hoping I didn’t just jinx it.

1 Like

Brace Yourself Games is one of my fave developers, so between this and Industries of Titan (and the Cadence of Hyrule DLC), I am extremely happy this year. Definitely going to pick this up once I have a bit of cash.

1 Like

I played this at Pax and was quite impressed. Even in an early build it looked great, had a slick interface and it was immediately gripping to play. I likes me some simultaneous turns, I does.

Not sure I want to jump on too early, but I do appreciate the heads up, as I’m delighted to see this game making progress.

So am I wrong that this is a mix of Battletech and Into The Breach?

This looks really good, digging the mech design and frozen synapse like gameplay.

Yeah, that’s pretty close. Mechs are simpler than Battletech mechs in that they are all roughly humanoid and only hold weapons in their hands (instead of having missile pods and gun arms). More Gundam like, overall.

In terms of Gameplay, it’s a bit Into the Breach meets Frozen Synapse.

Where Frozen Synapse is symmetrical (enemy movement is hidden and planning is simultaneous) Phantom Brigade creates asymmetry by planning out 5 seconds of enemy movement, and then gives you full control over how you plan your movement relative to that plan.

And the prediction is detailed, you can move through the timeline to see exactly where an enemy mech will be at 2.1 seconds and plan to move your mech behind it and unload at exactly that time.

Heat is also on the timeline, so you can see exactly when you’ll be cooled off again to fire.

Weapons fire is not detailed, though. You know who an enemy will be firing at, but not exactly where the bullets will go. With practice you can get the enemy to hit its own allies (so, Into the Breach like).

Where it gets interesting is: The 5 seconds of action is not fully deterministic. So you might plan out something, and not realize that you ran into an enemy mech. If your mech is heavier, the other mech will get pushed over (and potentially into a building, or other hazard). If they are roughtly the same, both will get sent flying, and if you are lighter, bad luck for you.

If your weapons fire takes out a mech, it falls over in place instead of moving to where it was on the plan. Which might mean that a second mech trips over the mech that fell, spoiling the rest of your plan.

This part is really unlike anything in either Battletech or Into the Breach, since there is so much potential for controlled chaos that neither has.

3 Likes