Puyo Puyo Tetris is a brilliant fighting game

So I imported Puyo Puyo Tetris a while back and fun, but it’s only since the English release dropped and I began playing with friends that I’ve really found how fantastic this game is. At this point I’m at over 100% completion in the story mode, and while that’s enjoyable by itself, the game really comes alive when trying to outdo your friends. It scratches the same itch as other fighters, but without the frustration of the execution heavy bits.

The Tetris part ended up being a good in for the series, but after playing some matches of Swap, which periodically switches between Tetris and Puyo boards, it got me interested in getting better at Puyo Puyo and now I’m all in. I end up playing it for HOURS and I’ve had to take a lot of breaks just to step away and relax because competition gets so intense.

Has anyone here played it? Any thoughts on it? I’d also be down with finding new people to play with if anyone is interested.

EDIT: A lot of people have told me they have trouble understanding Puyo Puyo, so I thought I’d share some resources that helped me understand it!

How to make chains:

"Stairs Basic Chain Pattern
http://puyonexus.com/wiki/Patterns_1:_Stairs

Bonus: Advanced Tetris tips:
http://www.tetrisfriends.com/help/tips_advanced.php

I totally agree with you that the swap mode is probably where the game shines the brightest. It feels like the ability to combine combos as the boards swap gives it a pretty high skill ceiling beyond just mastery of the individual games. Unfortunately I didn’t have any friends that were interested in learning how to play puyo and I don’t have enough grasp of the Japanese language (read: any) to have any idea what the story mode was about, so I didn’t spend as much time with the game as I would have liked.

I’m curious what sort of meta developed among your friend as you battled it out on the puzzle boards, though.

I ended up double dipping and picking up the English version release for the PS4 since it wasn’t too expensive. As far as the story goes…well honestly I skipped pretty much all of it because I wanted to get to the actual puzzle challenges themselves. It’s entertaining enough, but there’s so much dialogue and I ended up being more engaged with doing the puzzles and unlocking new skins.

The meta of Swap mode challenged a lot as our skills in both games changed. Initially we were all much better at Tetris, using moves there to save our asses from the mess that was our Puyo boards. One of my friends was definitely much better at Tetris, tho with the way it works out a good Puyo chain can throw so much garbage. Eventually I learned enough basic Puyo to even up the score, and now I’m slightly edging it out by learning the weird combat mechanics of Tetris with back to back clears and combos.

I think the best way to learn both games honestly is the tutorials built into the game, which give you a basic understanding of set ups you can use and demystify the whole thing. Then you can use outside sources to learn more.

Love this game! I used to play Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine a lot when I was younger and then later Puyo Puyo 2 on an emulator so having a modern game to play against friends is a lot of fun. It might be the game that actually pushes me into buying a PS4…

Highly recommend Puyo Puyo 2 to anyone who wants to try and get better at the Puyo Puyo side of the game. The AI is a lot more brutal in it then Puyo Puyo Tetris IMO.

Puyo Puyo 2 is definitely a good place to start, and the competitive standard ruleset from what I can see. Mean Bean Machine was def fun, but was based on an older version that didn’t have the offset rule, meaning you couldn’t send back garbage, which means you need to just be fast and throw tons of garbage before they can do the same.

There’s actually translations of the PC versions of Puyo Puyo Fever and Puyo Puyo Sun, so i’ve been playing those and they’re really fun! The Sun single player so friggin tough tho, it does not give you a chance.

If you’re thinking about it I say go for it! Though I’d probably also consider the Switch version, since due to licensing issues it’s the only one that has a digital version here, and having a portable version of that game would be incredible.

I like this game, and my family play it quite a bit on my Switch, but I am awful at the single player campaign. Like, 10 levels in and losing terrible. I am not sure what I am missing.

I don’t really “get” Puyo Puyo. Not so much in that I don’t know how it works, but it doesn’t click with me. It’s like Dr. Mario, but the pieces fall down, but I think I’d rather just play Dr. Mario. And Tetris, because I always love Tetris. Can I get Dr. Mario Tetris? O:

Also any game like this just reminds me that I need a new Planet Puzzle League. Nintendo please!

It’s Really good and also I Hate It With All My Heart, so it’s definitely a fighting game

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a really neat game that I’m glad made its way overseas eventually. I’m always down for some Tetris, and consider myself an averagely-skilled player.

Puyo Puyo, on the other hand? I know how to play, but I’m having a really hard time understanding how to play it

I grasp the concepts of Puyo, but everything the game teaches me seems incredibly situational to the point that I feel like I need to be thinking 100 steps ahead in order to execute on these techniques.

@HermanBloom if you haven’t done so yet i’d look at the Lessons in the menu! they’re a good starting point and they explain a lot of things that you’d not think of initially. there’s cool stuff like combos for Tetris that help out a lot, and some basic Puyo Puyo set ups that can help you understand it.

@Twig looking up some basic chain setups really helped me get kind of sense for Puyo Puyo! also if you have a DS and liked Planet Puzzle League there’s also Meteos, from the people who made Lumines, which has some similar concepts but some cool competitive elements.

@dokidev do you have the PS4 version of the game? i’ve practiced a lot and if you’re into it we could play some and i’m also always down to teach people some techniques or point to some videos that helped me out.

Bring my Puyo Puyo Tetris to a party soon. No one leaving alive.

i’m going to assume nobody is going to be friends anymore by the end of that party.

I have the Switch version, sorry :frowning:
Can’t pass up that portability

Meteos and PPL are two of my most played games on DS, easily. Mmmm.

I played some more of the Puyo half and I think it’s just not for me, to be honest. ):

i don’t blame ya. i’d have bought that version if i owned Switch, especially since they don’t have any other portable versions here.

Some guy scolded me for keeping an [s]-block in my Hold for too long, and then he proceeded to “teach” me how to play the game “right”. So, YEP it’s a fighting game for sure! It’s got all the same great experiences we love in fighting games :stuck_out_tongue:

I picked it up on the switch but I haven’t put in enough time with the Puyo Puyo side yet. I can definitely see that it’s worth getting good at but it’s like my brain is wired for Tetris and it struggles against learning Puyo Puyo.

I wish there was a Puzzle Fighter Tetris with a swap mode and all the SD Street Fighter/Dark Stalkers characters.

have you played the Puzzle Fighter HD version? it’s not quite the mashup you want but it does have some alternative modes that change up how the gems break. weird stuff like match 3 and whatnot