Really good article about indie games in China

I haven’t seen anyone talking about this fantastic article about indie games in China, so I thought I’d share it here:

A lot of times on the pod I’ve heard the crew not having a frame of reference for gaming in China, so I thought this would be worth a read to give one perspective on the issue from people who live or have lived there. The authors of the newsletter also aren’t all a part of the video games press so it’s nice to see these issues from another perspective.

10 Likes

Some neat looking stuff here, excited to take a look at some of it

1 Like

God damn, someone did it. They made the substack aimed directly at me. Thank you for pointing this article and this newsletter out to me. Chinese internet and meme culture/discourse is extremely wild and, yes, as they describe it, “cursed”. Definitely check out their articles on small Chinese town articles on Wikipedia and Advanced Lesbianism for a taste of what these writers are like.

I will not, of course, be subscribing to their substack because everything they do is actually mirrored at their main website, chaoyangtrap.house.

4 Likes