'Red Dead 2,' 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey,' and the Future of the Open World

Last week, a blast of new Red Dead Redemption 2 previews hit the web, digging into the game's focus on non-violent interaction, intense level of detail, and new methods of interactive storytelling. Today, a wave of reviews for Assassin's Creed Odyssey praised the game's beautiful setting and the series' ongoing slide towards open world RPG. Though both were in development before The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, in their own ways, both games feel like responses to Link's most recent adventure in Hyrule. They seek to answer the question "Where does the open world game go from here?"

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a38jyz/red-dead-2-assassins-creed-odyssey-and-the-future-of-the-open-world

There, fixed that for you.

bigh

So waypoints is just gonna be watch Tombstone then?

Over halfway through the episode, will listen to the rest on my way home from work. Completely agree about GTA5, I got it on release on PS3 and didn’t pick it up again after a few hours. It was just such a harsh world to be in that didn’t sit well with me even if I couldn’t articulate it back then. I know that I’ll prefer AC:Ody to RDR2 since it seems to be progressive as well as a fun time. RDR will be edgy and ‘morally grey’ and probably not as sensitive to the issues of the time as I’d like.

After listening to this I am considering picking up Origins instead of Odyssey since I slept on it last year. Interested to hear the crew’s thoughts once they get a little further through the game.

I’m in the same boat. I just started Spider-man last night but I’m just not feeling it. I stayed away from Origins because I genuinely loved the wry camp of the AC series, especially the past ACIV “we just don’t give a fuck” era but the Odyssey discourse has managed to make a better case for it than was made at the time.

I’m listening to the itunes version and there’s a lot of skipping, like it will jump forward a few seconds every few minutes. Switched to some other podcasts to make sure it wasn’t my player, but they were fine.

It was fine on my non itunes player, could be a bad download.

Tried re downloading and it worked fine , false alarm!

This one time? At bandit camp?