Rediscovering How to Take a Break

Our culture offers a lot of tips on how to do attack big projects and fulfill ambitious goals, but what comes after?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/qvvk8q/rediscovering-how-to-take-a-break

It what allows me to keep playing games is by take a break from them.

TL;DR: Work project ended unceremoniously and kind of ambiguously. Took some time, ruminated and put down open world games. Focused on a D&D campaign instead and took time to just let the project’s end digest.

I had an all-consuming podcasting project at work for a good year that ended pretty abruptly, but I couldn’t talk about it to anyone outside of close friends and a few coworkers intimately involved with the project. So anytime I’d get asked when it was coming back by anyone outside of those folks, I couldn’t really give much of an answer. And after a few months, that really started to grate on me.

I ended up having a period of about six months where the project was finished and I went back to “normal” work, but it still hung over my head. Honestly, the only real salve for it was time. Just time to think about it, make peace with the troubles and issues we had and then slowly move on. I put down video games for a bit (especially open world stuff) and focused on developing a 5th Edition D&D campaign. Doing that slowly over the course of six months with no hard deadline was really gratifying, and the campaign is still going strong to this day. I’m the kind of person who has to sit with thoughts and decisions for a bit to get them to really digest, so just sitting down and really getting deep with a personal storytelling/RPing experience to enjoy with friends was perfect.

I’ve always been someone attracted to keeping myself working to ward away negative emotions. If I need to meet this deadline or finish this task, I can avoid thinking about bigger issues for a short while. And, as the saying goes, idle hands are the devil’s plaything.

Now, I’m dealing with the situation Rob described, although I’ve instead hopped to job-hunting, rather than Civilisation, that has consumed me, although hardly with the same fervour. Setting up the next stage of my life becomes my relief from work. Idle hands, indeed.