Revisiting 'Kingdoms of Amalur' Makes Gaming's MMO Fate Seem Inevitable

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is mostly remembered for the scandal that followed it. It's not even that the game was a failure in itself, but it was intended to be the start of something bigger: a fantasy universe that would include an MMO to supplant World of Warcraft, beating the Blizzard behemoth at its own game of being a fantasy-ass fantasy game. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7wyd7/revisiting-kingdoms-of-amalur-makes-gamings-mmo-fate-seem-inevitable
1 Like

So this is the game that largely ruined Bioware games?

At its worst, it’s an abyss of golden exclamation points and proper nouns that all run into each other in the stilted dialogue.

That was my primary experience of the game, anyway. The combat was decent, but not so revolutionary that it could carry the essential fetch-questiness of the thing. Compare to Dragon’s Dogma from the prior year, which had much better combat and also got out of your damned way a lot more.

As for the narrative dressing, well, I’m really annoyed that I can’t remember the term Rob used on the podcast a few episodes ago to describe games that are just D&D with a couple of houserules, but that’s really what the Amalur setting felt like to me. Cameron nails it here in his description, it’s got that one twist but otherwise it’s a bog standard fantasy world. Dragon Age: Origins kinda did that, too, but they made it work through good writing and a heavy focus on characters. Amalur… did not.

I know people like this game, though, so good for them and I hope they enjoy the remake.

I was in bed with the flu for a week when I picked up Amalur. It was the absolute perfect game for that situation. A steady drip feed of content, a combat system that made the magic class feel good (instead of being a run away while spells recharge affair), a world building twist I could fever vibe on, and little to no complex choices to speak of. Honestly, I still think more games should look at how the magic class was built.

Objectively, it’s a competent 7/10 game but it was exactly what I needed at the time, so I’m always warmed when I see it come up.

1 Like

It’s definitely one of those games where I had a really good time with the demo but for whatever reason never followed up, so I feel similarly.

Wikipedia has DD coming out 2 months after Amalur, which I definitely played first. At the time the combat impressed me in a field of Biowares and Bethesdas, at the very least.

1 Like

Hm, so it does. I thought DD was a 2011 release for some reason.