RIP, Chris Cornell

I just heard about his passing. I was a huge fan of his music. I’m torn up about this - I’ve personally lost people to suicide so I know how devastating this must be for his family & friends. Thought I’d start a thread for anyone who might want to post.

This has been really upsetting me out too. His music was incredibly influential to me.

It’s upsetting to me that more than anything, the musicians to come from the Grunge scene are not going to be remembered for the way they changed the musical landscape, but for their suffering, addictions, the pain and sadness. And that isn’t to say that wasn’t a part of the genre, part of what made Grunge as amazing as it was is the authenticity of it all. I hate thinking that it feels so many have sacrificed their mental and emotional health at its expense though.

This is a good time to remind people, you don’t need to suffer for your art. Creation is an amazing way to deal with difficult times and emotions, and can be incredibly cathartic, but pain isn’t a requirement for good art.

Anyways might as well start a list of some of his best work!

The best Bond song:

Audioslave - Shadow of the Sun

People don’t remember audioslave too much as they never really put out an amazing album, but I think this is one of his best vocal performances.

Soundgarden - Spoonman

I mean, this song just rocks. Got me interested in working outside of standard time signatures and I’ll never be able to go back.

Soundgarden: Jesus Christ Pose

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Maybe best vocal performance. Also, the best song to play in guitar hero, cause you get to listen to black hole sun.

I personally love Chris Cornell cause he ended up bringing me and my dad’s music tastes closer together. I was a big Soundgarden fan growing up but my dad could never get into it, it was just a bit too metal for his tastes. So when Audioslave came out, I figured it might be my dad’s kinda thing and I got him the album for Christmas that year. He ended up playing it so much that it got lodged in the CD player of the family car!

@Glorgu already linked Chris’ biggest hits so I’ll share something else about him. A local radio station has a really neat program on sometimes called The Ongoing History of New Music and they re-played an archive episode about tracing the entire grunge scene in Seattle back to Chris Cornell. The host Alan Cross is well-read (on rock only lol) so this episode was pretty cool to me. https://omny.fm/shows/ongoing-history-of-new-music/chris-cornell-6-degrees-of-separation-podcast

Oh wow, this is really cool thanks for sharing!

badmotorfinger was the first CD I bought.

In all of my teenage years performing in rock cover bands, this was definitely one of the hardest songs for me to sing.

I literally wouldn’t have started playing music and wouldn’t have built several bad bands without wanting to play his music. It’s so him, that it really speaks to me. I’ve been listening a lot to his whole discography over the past few days, that’s helped a lot.

This is one of his most simple songs, but it makes me so sad, especially now.

Burden In My Hand is just incredible, no one else could make a rock song that sounds like that.

Say Hello 2 Heaven, Chris. And the many friends that left before you.