Rockstar is a bro club

Jim Sterling did journalism and yeah, I’m not surprised by any of this. Put your feelings for Sterling aside and watch this, he lays out actual stories of Rockstar employees and it ain’t pretty.

ALSO, SWEET JESUS

So yeah.

Fuck Rockstar.

This squares with a lot of the ominous, half-muttered “I hear things about Rockstar” utterances I’ve heard from a number of podcast hosts over the years.

I remember Alex Navarro hinting towards some of this stuff on the Beastcast back when the Benzies stuff blew up. This has been an open secret for years in the industry but because of how insulated Rockstar is from the rest of the industry and how hard it is to corroborate the stories, it just hasn’t been possible to get the confirmation needed to report on it. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if this isn’t even the full story. With how detached the Housers are from the actual development process and how deep the brand exceptionalism runs in that company there’s bound to be a lot of stuff that is even grosser.

1 Like

You just have to take Sterling down from like a 13 to a 9. Sometimes he’ll try to connect a few things that only work if you really stretch, but it’s more an exception than a rule.

This was a great video. I’m glad he leaned so heavily on long quotes that had a lot of context. There was one where I wasn’t confident things were quite what the employee thought they were (in just that one instance), but I can’t remember what it was, and it still was probably 95% likely because of the context of Rockstar.

Talk about a terrible place to work. I can’t even imagine what it must feel like. It’s so depressing that such an awful workplace is producing some of the most popular entertainment on the planet. Makes me a little sick, honestly.