ROTY: Recipe of the Year 2020

What is the best recipe you have discovered this year? What is the best thing you have cooked/baked/made in 2020?

For me it is this Cantonese scrambled egg recipe from the Chinese Cooking Demystified Youtube channel. The flavor and texture of it are super good. It is now my go to egg recipe. It is also a very tweak-able recipe, so there is a lot of room to play with it.

6 Likes

I already posted a lot of this in our food channel, but probably the best thing I’ve had is Joshua Weismann’s Chocolate Babka. I went with him because well, “Weissman”. Though he is a little too smug for my tastes.

4 Likes

I’ve made this shepherd’s pie like, 10 or 15 times since my mum sent me the recipe while we were in lockdown in March and getting sick of everything we regularly cook. I like lentils just fine but my partner is not a huge fan & we are often suspicious of vegan white lady food bloggers so we were pleasantly surprised that it was actually really good! my partner and I made it for our first Christmas together last week for our vegetable-averse vegetarian friend.

(also, we use real butter etc. in the mashed potatoes, and usually just throw the lentils and broth into the pot with the other veg, because we are lazy and extra-dishes averse!)

3 Likes

Rachel Roddy’s contributions to the Guardian have made her one of my favourite chefs, especially the occassional recipes where she sort of just sketches out how to cook something in principle, giving you some fundamentals you can easily customise and tweak.

This recipe for Pepperonata is more concrete, but I would not have made it through this year without it. It’s that kind of italian cooking that is far more than the sum of its parts; quick to prep, long to cook, it does us for two-three days and is utterly fantastic:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/29/peperonata-recipe-jane-grigson-rachel-roddy-kitchen-sink-tales

5 Likes

These brown butter ricotta cookies are simple to make and incredibly delicious.

4 Likes

I found a chef, Mandy Lee, on Food52 after Rick snd Sohla started producing recipes there, and I’ve loved everything I’ve tried of hers. The highlight is definitely this crispy chicken, but the pastry she makes for her butter tarts blew my mind.

3 Likes

This year I actually started branching out from almost exclusively cooking things from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Veg books!
Furlough gave me time to try out quite a few things I really liked, but the main highlight has got to be my first attempt at baba ganoush, which I made for my family as part of a lockdown-induced mezze spread. I spent an all-consuming 3 days researching, planning and prepping for everything, but it came together really well in the end, and the baba ganoush was just unreal, especially for how easy it was compared to what I expected. Not sure if I’ll ever cook that ambitiously again, and I actually haven’t made any of the components since, but it really felt like an achievement.
Recipe here

1 Like

I pulled Bon Appetit’s chocolate chip cookie recipe in February of this year. I won’t post it now for obvious reasons, but if you take Claire’s cookie recipe here and sub in some chopped bittersweet chocolate in for the pecan brittle, you’ll be in the ballpark. Basically, the trick to upping your chocolate chip cookie game is 1. chop up a good chocolate bar instead of using straight chocolate chips and 2. brown your butter and use dark brown sugar.

1 Like

The BA’s best chocolate chip cookies are the best cookies I’ve ever made.

Towards the end of the year here I also made an incredible baked mac and cheese from Toni Tipton-Martin’s Jubilee, and made absolutely amazing dutch oven shredded barbecue chicken using a cola barbecue sauce from the same cookbook.

3 Likes

I had my own kitchen for the first time this year so I’ve been exploring some basics, and I think my favorite thing I’ve made this year is a crab bisque recipe I found on Delish. It was so rich and creamy and delicious, ugh, I’m planning on making it again for my partner in a week or two.

2 Likes

I’m really into cooking and have been getting my partner into it as well as of late. For the holidays, she gifted me a KitchenAid mixer with a pasta making attachment and folks, it is a game changer. It is something I have wanted for years and it was such a generous gift.

ANYWAYS, I have made fresh pasta in it twice already. I just use the recipe that came with the machine. I’ll just say that fresh pasta is absolutely amazing. I also cook up this sauce with the pasta. I add in a bay leaf and a splash of balsamic vinegar for some depth.

2 Likes

I love cooking, and don’t talk about/post about it online a lot! Recently my wife and I moved across the pond for her master’s degree, which has led to two things: we have very limited kitchen tools, and I cook every meal. I cooked a lot before, but I’ve basically been running the show now, and trying to do the best I can with a severely limited kitchen.

This spicy chicken stew is the best dish I’ve ever made, and it’s pretty easy! The spicy scent fills the entire apartment, the rice is delicious, and the combination of spicy, hot stew/soup with cold, crunchy kimchi is to die for. We’ve also done it once with tofu, so if you’re looking for a vegan option it’s still just as good!

I’ll eat the leftovers with a fried egg and toasted sesame seeds. Give it a shot!

5 Likes

Glorgu’s recipe of the year.

1. Fill giant pot with canned tomatoes and coconut milk.
  2. Add whateber veggies I’m feeling.
  3. Add spices.
  4. Wait.

I really wanted to try new things this year, but my drive to do that was very quickly shuttered when I realized what this year was going to look like. And to be honest, for me, very little beats a nice simple curry. Easy to make, easy to customize, easy to make delicious

1 Like