ROUND 4 PT.1 DEATH COMES RIDING ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN: Best Game Theme Contest

RESULTS

Theme of Devil’s Flute - Professor Layton and the Last Specter VS Lone Survivor - Lone Survivor - 14-4
Turn Back - The Beginner’s Guide VS Tristam - Diablo II - 3-15
Main Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild VS Theme - Donkey Kong Country - 13-8
Setting Sail, Coming Home - Bastion VS Reset (Vocal Ver) - Devil Survivor - 18-3

All my picks got bodied by strong competition this go, lol. I thought Turn Back would at least reach round three but thus is the nature of this tourney. The one that surprised me was the DK V Zelda match not being closer because DKC has a funktastic theme.

I also just noticed I accidentally put Ghost Trick on twice so Bastion will move past round 2 without a match due to this error.

Bracket Here: https://challonge.com/jff5yzlh

Vote Here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/L3Z63BZ

THIS ROUND…

Ganbare Goemon - Mystic Ninja Starring Goemon VS Sparking - Tekken 5
Return of the Tres - Total Overdose VS Inner Light - Destiny 2
Legendary Theme - Gitaroo Man VS Theme - Grand Theft Auto 3
Beyond the Bounds - Zone of the Enders 2 VS Pushing Onwards - VVVVVV

Deadline is April 4th by 7 PM Central

Really enjoying this tournament. I’m finding a lot of music I haven’t heard before that really, really kicks. That Layton tune was so awesome, absolutely loved the harmonica part, and this guitaroo man tune is fucking awesome.

And then there’s all the songs you hardly remember being refreshed in your memory like “return of the tres” which I completely forgot existed but man is it a joy to hear again.

I love that band. They’re called Delinquent Habits and they do some great stuff.

Heads up, the inner light link goes to a video of journey.

the song from the destiny 2 soundtrack, not the band.

GAH

I browsed through the links in the thread and the posted two possible Destiny 2 themes and I picked one and used the wrong link. Fixing.

That Gitaroo Man track is just crazy good. I’d have picked it over Inner Light if that’d been the match up, and I’m the one who nominated it.

Still can’t listen to Ganbare Goemon without thinking of his entrance in VGCW.

The Legendary Theme is amazing, but I still personally prefer the acoustic version.

Do not forget to vote, everyone!

Two hours left!

RESULTS

Ganbare Goemon - Mystic Ninja Starring Goemon VS Sparking - Tekken 5 - 10-4
Return of the Tres - Total Overdose VS Inner Light - Destiny 2 - 10-4
Legendary Theme - Gitaroo Man VS Theme - Grand Theft Auto 3 - 13-1
Beyond the Bounds - Zone of the Enders 2 VS Pushing Onwards - VVVVVV - 8-6

Low turnout this vote, but interesting results. Beyond the Bounds was almost knocked out but had a small boost that pushed it barely to victory. GTA3 didn’t stand a chance, because while catchy and filled with character, it could not match that soulful guitar. In a shocker, the catchy Japanese theme song outpaced the best Tekken’s opening, but a latino rap song from a Max Payne clone nobody here has ever played but me bodied Destiny 2.

Wild voting this time, and it’s about to get wilder!

Vote Here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XNXJZGM

THIS ROUND…

Overworld - Super Mario Bros. 3 VS Rules of Nature - Metal Gear Rising
Nascence - Journey VS The Sun Rises - Okami
Growing Wings - Drakengard VS Opening Theme - Mega Man X5
Broforce Theme Song - Broforce VS Summer Love - LISA the Painful

Deadline is April 5th by 7PM Central

Ahem. Total Overdose was not only no merely a Max Payne clone but one of the finest digital entertainment products to come out of the great state of Denmark in 2005, and I will have you know that I certainly played at least an hour of it back then.

for real though, Total Overdose is a damn mess of a game but holy shit is it a product of it’s time.

Random chicken walking by. Why is that so funny.

RESULTS

Overworld - Super Mario Bros. 3 VS Rules of Nature - Metal Gear Rising - 5-9
Nascence - Journey VS The Sun Rises - Okami - 7-7 (TIE)
Growing Wings - Drakengard VS Opening Theme - Mega Man X5 - 11-2
Broforce Theme Song - Broforce VS Summer Love - LISA the Painful - 7-6

Journey and Okami will be voted on again this session due to an unexpected tie! Please remember to vote so we can avoid this situation in the future! Otherwise, MGR managed to fight off one of the most memorable pieces of music in gaming history (but there’s plenty of Mario yet to come!), Drakengard easily defeated X5, and we had a surprisingly close match between the depressing and melancholy LISA and the dumb bombast of Broforce, but America Fuck Yeah Coming Again To Save The Motherfucking Day Yeah won in the end.

Now let’s get ready for more combatants!

Vote Here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VFZVW2Q

THIS ROUND…

Main Theme - XCOM: Enemy Unknown VS Lord Laharl’s Hymn - Disgaea
Theme - Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved VS Katamari on the Rocks - Katamari Damacy
At Doom’s Gate - DOOM (2016) VS Mysterious Destiny - Bayonetta
Main Theme - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike VS Virtue’s Last Reward ~Orchestra~ - Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

Revote: Nascence - Journey VS The Sun Rises - Okami

Deadline is April 6th by 7PM Central

I don’t even know if yer still taking suggestions but the fact that 2017 underdogs Never To Return from Pyre and The Experiment from Prey haven’t been brought up miffs me, I do say

Coincidentally, their names are anagrams, so that’s fun.

Sorry, we’re already voting.

However, Prey did get nominated and will pop up later in this tourney!

I’m mainly just sharing my heartbreak :wink:

The fact that Journey or Okami, Geometry Wars or Katamari, and DOOM (2016) or Bayonetta will be out first round is ridiculous to me. Like which do you even choose?

The answer to the first is obviously Okami for me, as I would say its one of the best themes/boss fight themes of all time, but those other two races are so, so close for me.

Not saying 3rd Strike vs VLR is any easier, but I figured both of them wouldn’t make it past first round. Gonna have to go with 3rd Strike because its the one that counts.

And if we were talking battle themes, Xcom would be a stronger choice, but the theme was always a bit weak. And stacked against the absolute nonsense of Disgaea, it doesn’t hold up.

It’s been a wild first round, and there’s still a lot of heavy hitters waiting in round two!

Will there be a loser’s bracket or nah?

The nightmare of organizing that with 160+ themes on the board is a bit too much work for me lol