Ruined by the fans

I recently read this article about how Rick and Morty’s creators are revolting against their “bad fans”. These fans (and seeing lots of conservative R&M memes) are actually the reason I never watched the show, even though it’s created by the creator of Community, which is one of my favorite shows.

Anyway, what are some shows/movies/games/music you never got into because of “bad fans”? And did you ever change your mind about it?

I wrote off My Chemical Romance when I was in high school due to their fans, but then a few of their songs were some of the first Guitar Hero 2 DLC and were really fun to play, and oops now The Black Parade is one of my favorite albums and I’ve been listening to it for the last 12 years.

Fans don’t really ruin things for me because if they suck, I just don’t interact with them.

Undertale. The fandom seemed really aggressively zealous about the game. It’s too bad because that game seems fine?

Now that you mention it, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band boom opened me up to a lot of music I never would’ve interacted with, and did the same for a lot of my friends. It was also interesting to watch as a fellow GameStop employee, who had been raised around hip-hop and R&B and never listened to rock music before then, became a HUGE Nirvana and '90s alternative fan thanks to Rock Band. For the past 8 years, or so, he’s been playing in several local bands at any given time, so it’s strange to think back to the 17-year-old version of him who “didn’t like music”.

Thanks!

Joke answer: Videogames.

Serious answer: Videogames.

Bandai Namco’s determination to market Dark Souls in the way it does has managed to flip public perception of the series on it’s head. I remember when Dark Souls The First was first gaining popularity, folks would actually talk about how welcoming fans were. Then the Prepare to Die marketing campaign happened, and between then and Dark Souls 2’s release Souls fans got associated with elitist knobs.

Still, Miyazaki talked in the Design Works about how the only From gets to make these games is by lieing to Namco about how successful it could be, so I guess we have those weirdos to thank for the series’ continued existance, at least.

The Black Parade is INCREDIBLE.

Rick and Morty is definitely worth your time despite the horrid vocal fan base. It’s a really dark/sweet story about the pathos (probably) everyone experiences at one point or another in their life combined with trademark Dan Harmon humour. Every season has some serious laugh out loud moments.

I held off playing Undertale for a year because of how obnoxious people were about it. If I had played it when that heat was on, I wouldn’t be able to separate the fan base from the game itself. I really ended up enjoying it just fine. I could see how it had garnered such praise, and it was a solid game.

I’m honestly very hesitant to tell people that I play games or watch anime because of, very generally speaking, the fans of these mediums. I think that being ashamed to be a part of a fanbase is totally an element of this.

How do you explain to a random person why we don’t use the term gamer anymore?

Also relevant (tweeted by Austin):

There always going to be some fans that go overboard but it just a matter of distancing ourselves from them see the product as it is and only check with fans when they can talk about it with a calmer mind.

Licensed sountracks in video games were the biggest way I discovered new music in high school/college, and the Tony Hawk Pro Skater and EA soundtracks of the 2000’s were some of the first places I heard Goldfinger, Millencolin, Bad Religion, Billy Talent, Franz Ferdinand, Go Betty Go, and Sahara Hot Nights, and where I discovered an unironic love for Avril Lavigne’s Girlfriend.

And now I really want to play Burnout Paradise.

Boy I sure know how to pick fandoms:
I like Rick and Morty, I thought maybe this last season was a bit weak but I wonder if that feeling is influenced by the way the fandom has turned and the backlash against it.
I thought My Little Pony was a legitimately good show and cleverer than it had to be. I fell off it after the first season. partly because, I mean it’s good but it’s not like, Steven Universe good. but again I wonder if the toxic culture that had built up around it was a factor
Oh I also own a fedora, I’m a hat guy. I firmly believe that you can wear a fedora correctly, in the right context and with the right outfit. but the culture that has built up around fedoras means I have largely left mine on the hook in favour of a bowler or a boater, good hats and much less aggressive. the effect is less “look at this nerd who think’s he’s some cool ladykiller” and more “look at this nerd who thinks he’s like, one of the detectives from Tintin I guess or a travelling salesman”

Ha, yeah, hats is a good one. After I shaved my head, I started wearing lots of hats, including trilbies and driver caps. I always got compliments on them, but a few years ago I kinda stopped for a mix of reasons, the “fandom” being a big one. I also got more lazy, had more confidence in my appearance, my toddler always wanted to steal them, and in TX it’s too hot to wear any hat that isn’t made out of straw for 90% of the year.

Steven Universe and Adventure Time are also shows I avoided for a while, not so much because the fandoms seemed toxic, but more because it seemed like there was no way they could live up to the hype, and it’s really tough to understand what’s good about those shows from the outside.

Actually, come to think of it “being a white man” has been pretty thoroughly ruined by the fans.

It’s just so hard when your first interaction with a piece of content is because of a certain group or specific person. Like songs that remind you of an ex. It’s not really about the content so much as it is the association, and a lot of times that association is completely instinctual and reactionary.

For another example, it took me a long time to see Blade Runner because it was first recommended to me by my sociopathic half-brother who had assaulted my dad on multiple occasions and robbed my family. Yeah, I know that he just happens to be a hate-filled, violent criminal who likes Blade Runner, which isn’t to say that only hate-filled, violent criminals like Blade Runner, but still: that association took a long time to break.

This isn’t a complete thought, but conversations about fans ruining something or being over-zealous feeds into this unfortunate tendency to look down on people who are really passionate or vocal about liking something, which I think is not cool.

Most of the people shitting on fans of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Rick and Morty are people who just don’t care about the show and are tired of hearing about it, which is fine, but don’t spend your time laughing at and discouraging people from talking about or sharing their thoughts. As for people who like the show but don’t like the fanbase, just don’t engage with it? Don’t go on the subreddit, mute it on Twitter, whatever you gotta do. It’s never that serious.

That said, chill with the nugget sauce nonsense, barbecue sauce is a delicious plan b that will always be there for you in times of crisis

Does one of those feed into the other or are those separate issues? As someone who is guilty of the first part (i.e. claiming that fans ruined something) and am absolutely opposed to the second part (i.e. looking down on people who are passionate and vocal), I would like to think they are different. I also think that the reasons I have been turned away from R&M is because of a lot of conservative and hateful memes that used the characters from R&M, not because the fans were passionate.

But you said this isn’t a complete thought, so I’d like to see what other people have to add and where this goes. Thanks!

Toxic fan communities or bad experiences with fans of a certain thing will usually never dissuade me from trying that thing if it’s primarily a single-player experience (and by single-player I mean any game/film/show/etc. that one can fully experience alone). For good or bad, I tend to mentally divorce art from the people who like it, at least while I’m playing/watching/viewing/reading said art.

But multiplayer games—especially team-based ones—are a different story for me because there I’m actually forced to interact with toxic fans/players. I have never and will never touch any MOBA because of what I’ve seen of those fanbases, and despite my love for the mechanics of multiplayer shooters like TF2 and Overwatch, I will never touch any Counter-Strike game or any multiplayer mode in a AAA shooter because of what parts of those fanbases tend to be like.

In recent years I think there’s been a pleasant shift regarding our view of “nerd culture” and we’re seeing a more accepting view of those who are super into a certain hobby/piece of media. Things that used to be niche and embarrassed people are now celebrated openly, which we can see with the numerous anime/game/tabletop conventions attended by tons of people for example. I think there’s people (myself often included) who still struggle with that old view pushed for years in movies and tv that not caring too much about anything and mantainly a completely apathetic attitude makes you seem cool and chill and mysterious. I just think it’s a struggle to reconcile these two views.

Your dislike of R&M is completely valid and I hope I didn’t come across as calling people who questioned fanbases rude or anything like that. I think there’s another complicated discussion to be had around highly organized far-right pieces of garbage who ruin things through the use of memes as well