Ruined by the fans

Luke Cooper from The Office seems like he belongs here:

He sums up a lot of “fans of cinema” that I know.

I basically avoid online fandoms and multiplayer games in general because I have no patience for ““GAMERS””

Community isolation was a big thing that happened on GAF a while back when they spun out the Community sections for both gaming and off topic. I was a big participant in the Persona community thread on there and everything went really downhill after the forum split happened. Instead of new perspectives being added my new members it just slowly devolved into boring, circular, and bitter arguments about the same things over and over again. When new people would try to come in and introduce themselves you had some posters gatekeeping, seeing if they were big enough fans to be allowed the privilege to post in the thread. It was so bad that multiple posters got warnings from mods on multiple occasions, some banned, and some general mod warnings to chill out.

I’ve largely stopped posting on GAF for this reason and many others. Same thing happened with the Trails fandom on there too, if you come in with a perspective different from the most prolific posters you get shouted down real quick.

I had to fight myself very very hard to not jump to defend Steven Universe in this thread.

Radiohead fans.

I love and listen to Radiohead a lot but god damn it whenever I come across the self proclaimed die hard fans.

I was at a festival in which Radiohead were headlining. There were a lot of good acts playing throughout the day, a few that were probably more radio friendly and upbeat, such was the nature of this festival - the V-Festival in the UK. I was in front of the main stage, for most of the day, every band that played got booed by Radiohead fans, with this one guy nearby shouting “We’re only here to see Radiohead, fuck you and this whole festival”. Too which he was cheered by neighbouring RH fans.

Beck was playing just before Radiohead, and it was a great set, Devil’s Haircut, E-Pro all the hits. He had muppet styled puppets for each member of the band and throughout the set the puppet band was playing with the real band. It was really entertaining. The camera feed switching between real Beck and puppet Beck. He teased a bit of Creep in the midst of one song, too which the RH fans around me started booing. Guy behind me who has been bored the entire set just says “Fuck you Beck!” Beck’s set ends.

As we wait for RH to come on, the guy behind me kept on saying, “as soon as that guitar solo happens in paranoid android, I’m just going to go off…” Radiohead come on, it’s a good set, they even play Creep at the very end as part of their double encore. The guy does indeed go off when the guitar solo for paranoid android comes on, but it’s a fidgety, eyes rolled in back of the head, poor man’s rendition of what Thom Yorke does on stage. During the quieter breakdown of that particular song (“rain down”), I just realise I’m standing in a field with lots of people just moaning with sorrow to the song, and I just had this moment where I was taken slightly out of it. This is what their whole festival experience, maybe music experience was leading up to. Moaning mournfully in a big field, having hated every other artist that had played.

Just such a insular, holier than thou kind of superfan. Can’t stand them.

Radiohead fans kept me away from Radiohead for ten years. It sucks, and was actually a key experience that made me decide to avoid fandoms to keep them from influencing things I might love.

You’d think for a band as diverse as Radiohead, who encompass so many influences into their music, their fanbase would at least be more open to other things.

You’d also think they’d have more of a sense of humour, considering how much of a delightful little imp Thom Yorke is. I do agree with the sentiment w/r/t Radiohead fans. They’re my favourite band but have no interest in being part of the fandom.

Similarly, Tool fans! Couple the transcendental imagery with the band’s individualist, freethinker ethos and you basically get a bunch of hyper-aggressive Joe Rogans. It’s gotten to the point where despite my enjoyment of them I hope Tool never releases another album out of spite.

It’s kind of crazy how the internet has helped ruin “cult” fan bases and turned a ton of them into just god awful toxic cesspools.

I think, for a lot of people, the media they consume becomes a part of their identity that they become very attached to. In the past, when you were the one kid with the old Doctor Who VHS tapes, it made you feel special. It was a part of what made you who you were.

Now however, there’s a dedicated fan base for damn near everything, so that part of you that felt special and unique fades away into a wall of like minded people. When you were that one weird kid, you had no way of knowing that there were millions of weird kids around the country. Some people respond to this positively because they just found some like minded people. Others see this as some sort of combination purity test/contest. You’re not a REAL Doctor Who fan because you can’t name every single Doctor, their companion, the number of episodes they appeared in, and the year they debuted. You’re just some fair weather fan, you’re not like me the TRUE fan. I’m still special and you’re just not.

When you run into this kind of attitude, it just makes the more level headed people not want to engage, and the culling process leaves the toxic personalities behind, the ones with something to prove about why they love this movie/band/show/whatever.

The funny part is, it seems like the larger the fan community, the less of an issue this becomes, probably because fewer people attach huge personal significance to things that are massively popular because by definition it makes them less unique. I’ve never seen people get into a pissing match over Star Wars in the same way that I see Rick and Morty fans eat their own.

You also have this really bizarre/borderline unhealthy cult of personality around fictional characters today, which seems to have become the ‘next step’ in becoming the super fan. That or queuing in line to get some stupid McDonalds sauce…

Rick is only the latest character to be idolised by a certain type of demographic. He’s a hard drinking scientific genius who occasionally drops nihilistic truth bombs on the order of the universe and everything, and people respond to that. Even though part of the greatness of the show is that it makes no qualms about Rick being a literal piece of shit, that he’s the smartest guy in the world but can’t do anything to literally stop being a piece of shit to the people around him.

I think you also saw a similar cult of personality around things like South Park, with Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s approach to comedy. You also saw it with Heath Ledger’s Joker in the Dark Knight. Going back further, you could see some people idolise Fight Club in the same unhealthy way. These characters seem to have an answer to how fucked the world is, they’re funny about it, and it’s easy for people to relate and band together and treat their ideology as gospel. I remember seeing Fight Club as a 14 year old and feeling as if the whole world had been rewritten. Fortunately, didn’t take long for me to realise that idolising Fight Club in that way didn’t make me edgy or cool.

I guess it’s fine to respond to something in the way people respond to Rick & Morty, but at the same time, not sure if people are doing the full thinking behind it all to truly appreciate or criticise what is in front of them.

I saw an interesting Take on twitter that was like ‘the problem with Rick, Tyler Durden, and Scott Pilgrim is that the fanbase won’t understand that they’re pieces of shit because they’re the protagonist’

I’m a little surprised to see Scott Pilgrim in that list, but I guess that’s something that the movie adaptation never really addresses in a satisfying way. The movie focuses a lot on Ramona’s baggage and only really uses Nega Scott as a goof at the end, but in the books it’s an actual battle where he confronts his past and realizes how awful a person he’s been for pretty much his entire life. It’s not subtle.

I mean obviously Scott Pilgrim is a story about a dickhead learning that he’s a dickhead and trying to grow up, but a lot of people don’t realize that, or they just latch on the version of Scott at the beginning of the story.

Yeah the movie doesn’t really address it. The movie ends about five minutes after realizing that he’s been a dick and resolves to be a better person, but never actually gets to him putting in the work to be a better person.

Part of that is because the movie went into production before the comic series was finished. It’s sort of like how A Clockwork Orange had a 21st chapter where Alex realizes that he was a bad person, but it was removed from the American version of the book (which is what Kubrick’s film is based on).

These especially hold true for me. I mean, it’s nearly impossible to dislike Ledger’s performance. And yeah: the Joker says some “real” shit. Unfortunately, it’s all too easy to forget that he’s such a pathological liar that it became his name. “Do you want to know why I use a knife?” You don’t, motherfucker! You’ve held a gun in every scene throughout that movie.

And Fight Club. I felt the same way when I was a teenager and first saw that movie.

Fight Club is the quintessential “everyone missed the point” movie, myself included. Watching it again as an adult is a completely different experience. Now when I watch it it’s immediately apparent that the movie is an indictment of toxic masculinity and not actually an anti-consumerist manifesto. It’s not pro-consumerist, but Tyler’s anti-consumerism is actually misogyny and obsession with masculinity in disguise.

The discussion on the podcast about the issue with villains being cool applies here for sure.

I’m going to be honest and say I don’t think Overwatch does a good job of building an in game community. In fact some of the worst text and voice chat in a game I have seen has come out of Overwatch. If you’re looking to be a part of an in game community look for a game that allows you to always run into the same group so you get to know each other. Overwatch’s outside fan community seems fine though which you don’t need to really play the game to be a part of.

Older games like TF2/CSS did an excellent job with this because you had dedicated servers so you just kind of had to browse around and try out various servers until you found one that had a community you enjoyed.

The first game I ever really got into was Zombie Panic Source because I found a community running a dedicated server that had a lot of really cool people in it. Everyone was super welcoming and not elitist like so many others seemed to be. It was the place where I realized girls like to play video games as well and they didn’t want to be put on a pedestal by a bunch of creepy guys they just wanted to play the game. It was just a fun place to hang out as a kid in high school who had no real friends and realize that these people all over the world were cool with you and actually kind of cared about you. In retrospect that game has a number of issues with certain VO (specifically the punk character) but the time I had playing that game and the people I interacted with has had a long lasting impact on my life.

The communities that pop up around dedicated servers are such a fascinating phenomenon. I’m worried the number of people that have this positive experience in video games post-Xbox Live are dropping dramatically. I remember finding good servers in CS: Source that taught me how not to suck because they were explicitly there to teach.

Those kinds of experiences still exist, even in competitive multiplayer games, but it’s really up to chance through matchmaking.

i’d argue that rick and durden are examples where the lack of conviction and direction in the source material is a big source of the issue. the concept behind rick is obviously that he sucks but he’s also still the primary vehicle through which all plot and humour happens and he’s canonically revered as the “smartest being ever” in-universe.

if the point of the show is that the protagonist sucks, and you’re 3 seasons in and you still havent actually had them face any sort of lasting repercussion for any of the heinous shit they’ve done then… what are you actually saying?

in my opinion, the only show that kinda managed to pull that off is Bojack Horseman, and i still think that seasons 2 and 3 are completely gratuitous and couldve easily been condensed into one season for the payoff of season 4 to be more impactful.

For Honor was kinda ruined by the fans for me. I loved the game on release and played a whole lot of it, then tried to look on the internet for some tips on how to git gud. The most active community was the subreddit, but jesus christ those people are the worst. Eric Pope is a saint.

I keep telling myself I’m gonna go back to that game, but I still haven’t, even after multiple big balance patches and new characters.

This is a reoccurring trend for gaming subreddits and it is very frustrating. The tend to be great aggregates of information, but the actual community attached is horrid.