Savor the Most Excruciating Marriage Proposal in 'Pride and Prejudice'

This continues to get out of hand. Once again we got in too deep, so our second episode of the BBC Pride and Prejudice only covers the third episode of the miniseries. But who can blame us! As connoisseurs of human folly, we are eager to savor such delights as these: Charlotte Lucas's marriage to Mr. Collins and what it is meant to say in the original novel, versus Lucy Scott's decides to portray in her reading of the character. Mr. Wickham's increasingly oily charm and aggressive self-pity. Lady Catherine, in which we get a taste of what happens if you took Lizzie's and Mrs. Bennett's worst possible traits and poured money over them. Col. Fitzwilliam's catastrophic assistance to Darcy. And finally, Darcy's own attempts at balancing romance with radical honesty.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/59xa95/savor-the-most-excruciating-marriage-proposal-in-pride-and-prejudice

In case no one has linked this already - here’s a “My Immortal” AMV for the Keira Knightley P&P – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJ6RIcxSP4

listening to these made me spend a day rewatching all of the lizzie bennet diaries before i realized the actual BBC miniseries is just on hulu and i could’ve watched that and i’m mad about it

Darcy, Darcy, Darcy. Your steadfast distaste of dishonesty continues to have me enamoured with you in every adaption that successfully grasps it. I hope people forever tell stories of being so honest that it in combination with any other flaw becomes toxic. I’m surprised no one on the pod has caught how much Darcy is driven by honesty, considering his immediate social circles, behaviour, and past. The first episode they mention not understanding why Darcy and Bingley are friends, however if you place it in context of someone who has had a bad past with a dishonest character (Wickham), and see how his stubborn honesty constantly harms his relationship with Elizabeth, there is no one else he could ever be friends with. He like Elizabeth (and her relationship with Jane) requires a friend of unrepoachable kindness to have any degree of closeness. There shouldn’t be any shock why the characters of Bingley and Fitzwilliam think highly of Darcy, because Darcy can only think highly of only them.
The continuation of that comes with why Darcy believes he had to save Bingley from Jane. Darcy is burned, he doesn’t like social activities, he naturally distrusts people, he spends his time at dances and dinners listening to side conversations. Not for his own benefit (until he very clearly becomes head over riding boots for Elizabeth) but for his friends. I should mention that none of this behaviour should excuse the fact that his colossal pride has him constantly shooting himself in his tongue. I just find it brilliant that Austen can take a traditionally positive trait for a marriage pairing and completely skewer it in one of her most identifiable characters.
This is of course opinion and based o on a reading of the source material that’s a few years out of date so I’d love to have people poke holes or offer alternative reads of the topic.

I’m finally listening and goddammit Austin if it’s live action and not anime it’s not an “AMV” it’s a “fanvid”!!!

The pod went into this a bit, but a lot of romantic comedies tend to portray the two romantic leads exchanging witty barbs as indication that they totally want to bone. P&P has definitely been an influence there, but the difference between P&P and it’s progenitors is that there is no attraction on Elizabeth’s side.
Darcy insulted her on their first interaction, was standoffish for the rest, was responsible for separating Bingley and Jane, and now gave her a disastrous proposal consisting of denigrating her family and throwing their unequal status in her face. Elizabeth wasn’t secretly charmed by him, she genuinely hated him. This is what really stood out to me when I first read the proposal.

Media and society tell girls that boys who ‘tease’ them, like them. Although Darcy wasn’t insulting her to woo her, in him I saw one of the precursors of that trope that got warped into negging today. As a teen who was dealing with a boy who displayed their feelings towards me by treating me like shit and was told by others I should date them because they interpreted my rudeness towards him as attraction, Elizabeth telling Darcy to fuck off was extremely cathartic. It might have been the first time I saw a romantic female lead dislike the male lead and actually mean it. It’s also why I heavily dislike that the 2005 version injected sexual tension into that scene.