Hello! I’m Glorgu! You may know me from my smug side-eyeing avatar, loving StEEP too much, being The Only Good Mafia Player In The History Of Forum Users, or for posting pretentious garbage all over the forums! But today I’m only tapping into that last talent, and introducing a let’s play/games criticism exercise I’ve wanted to do for a while now
Scratching that Itch…io
A journey in finding those good, good games on Itch
Many threads on the Waypoint forums including the one about the potential indie culling weeks ago and the recent God of War review thread have me thinking about how we talk about games. There are two things in particular that cling to my mind:
- Indie games rarely get into the mainstream games discourse unless there’s established reputation behind them (kickstarter or other funding, previous games, known developers, an e3 trailer etc.).
- I’ve heard almost every mainstream game podcast talk about how weird and cool itch is, but rarely see that enthusiasm translated into writing or video on games found on the platform. That isn’t the case as much for Waypoint, but I still feel it elsewhere.
With these two things in mind, I see an opportunity to create the change I want.
I want to dig deeper into… video games? Beneath the AAA crust and the establishment-indie mantle… I want to delve further… find the indie asthenosphere!
I desire to scratch the itch…io!
Inspired by some of the other workshop posts - specifically the excellent Five Souls One Fox: A Souls Series Playthrough and 120 Games, 1 Goal - Pile of Shame: 0 threads - I decided to make a thread to document my adventures in playing games I find on Itch (or other platforms that aren’t Steam/GOG). My plans are the following:
- Every fortnight (or month, not sure of the timeline yet) find a game to play on itch. The only criteria is that I didn’t know about the game until finding it on itch (example: while Celeste is on itch, having it be the subject of a post feels against the spirit of this thread)
- Play the game (seems like a good idea for a sorta let’s play thread)
- Write some thoughts about the game here! I’m not sure what the format will be just yet. One largish post per game? Multiple smaller posts per game over the two weeks I give myself to play? Who knows, come find out with me
- Answer questions others have about a game. Anyone else is free to join in on the flavor of the week and discuss the game with me or anyone else on the thread!
Maybe this will go nowhere? I don’t know, but I don’t think that’ll be the case. Just my cursory searching of itch has led to discovering some potentially interesting games that I’d like to play and dig into. I’m optimistic!
So the current list of games I’m considering looking at follows:
- All Walls Must Fall
- Pato Box
- Sand and Stars
- Lieve Oma
- EVERTHING IS GOING TO BE OK!
- Don’t Sink
- Glass Masquerade
- Nine till Void
- Overland feels against the spirit of this experiment… but I want to play more Overland.
Please let me know if there are other games you think I should check out (especially any VN’s as I’m not at all familiar with the genre)! I haven’t dug too deep into the depths of itch so I’m definitely missing things!
The first game I’m going to play:
EVERTHING IS GOING TO BE OK!
I look to play it sometime over the weekend and write a post about it on Sunday or Monday. In the meantime, I’m open to suggestions for other games to play or for things to look out for in EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK!